Queen of the South v Linfield

SUPERSOUTH

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Hope to see you there, where I will be happy to buy you a pint, if I make it.

Fingers crossed the dickheads stay at home.

There will still be plenty dickheads at the game, but by the sounds of it they'll be heavily outnumbered by genuine Linfield fans.

I certainly hope so. I also hope that a few hours drinking on the ferry doesn't fuel any idiocy, but we managed to play Setanta Cup (All-Ireland tournament) games in numerous places without trouble, and they would have had much more potential for bringing out the dregs on both sides.

I would probably have gone to this if I was back in Scotland. Sheer novelty value and also to make up for the fact I missed an IFA game involving Linfield because I didn't go cause I was told by someone in the city (Belfast) that I would need a ticket and didn't wanna hang about outside a stadium  in the hope of buying one from a passer by. (I was in Belfast and decided to go on the day of the game) 

On 9/8/2016 at 09:42, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Seriously, the comments made say much more about the posters than they do about our club. Some of the culprits were all too expected, based on past experiences here, but one poster in particular, I had previously thought much better of.

Yes, we are a traditionally Unionist club, but our playing bases is diverse and we have awards for cross community work. Yes, some fuds appear for big games, but that can be said of any club.

Who's upset you AFJ? 

Some comment might be a bit OTT, but it maybe reflects the fact that Queens fans have generally rejected the sectarian, success driven appeal of the OF.  A depressing wander in town this morning confirms that the same cannot be said of all Doonhamers.

Now maybe some of us have a warped vision of Linfield's identity, although that clip of their fans in Dublin, as well as the relationship with Rangers, suggests it's not entirely imaginary either.

I hope any visiting Linfield fans enjoy their trip and it's a decent game.  

On 06/09/2016 at 20:12, Monkey Tennis said:

I wouldn't imagine that many visiting fans to be honest.  

Surely it would require a particularly bigoted type of Scot to identify with this lot.  It's hard to know what standard to expect, but I wouldn't have thought they should be outclassing us.  Did they get into Europe this year?  How did they do?

I don't much approve of how this tournament has been arsed about with, but this I suppose has a certain novel appeal.  

It would be nice to put this lot out, but I'd prefer it if we could eliminate their bigger cousins from the bigger Cup.

Mate I'm a Linfield fan myself but there's a few hundred including myself coming over

On 06/09/2016 at 22:13, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Have to agree

Dont expect more than 150 from over the water plus maybe another 150 from up the M74.

It would cost about £200 round trip with alcohol from Belfast

On forty quid pal I'd u go with stenaline so there'll be a good 3-400

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Now maybe some of us have a warped vision of Linfield's identity, although that clip of their fans in Dublin, as well as the relationship with Rangers, suggests it's not entirely imaginary either.

That about sums it up. I know pretty much nothing about Linfield but everything that I have seen or heard has a distinctly Sevconian whiff to it.

Maybe an entirely erroneous impression but you can only go on the evidence you have been presented with.

Hope to have my views altered by experience and it's a really enjoyable match for all

13 minutes ago, Jay1886 said:

On forty quid pal I'd u go with stenaline so there'll be a good 3-400

It's an excellent deal for you guys.

Leaving aside this particular tie, how do you and other fans feel about Linfield's involvement in this competition?

22 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

That about sums it up. I know pretty much nothing about Linfield but everything that I have seen or heard has a distinctly Sevconian whiff to it.

Maybe an entirely erroneous impression but you can only go on the evidence you have been presented with.

Hope to have my views altered by experience and it's a really enjoyable match for all

That about sums it up for me. If you have taken the trouble to look you would find lots of cross community work and outreach, links with ROI teams, giving our facilities to a camogie side (ladies hurling is about as best as I can describe it), and a team representing all of the Northern Irish communities. Yup - we have a few dickheads and people who are stuck in the past, but that is inevitable in a fractured community where people of my age lived in a warzone for many years, but we are trying to bring everyone along. Incidentally Willie, you were the poster I had thought better off.

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 13:48, Monkey Tennis said:

Who's upset you AFJ? 

Some comment might be a bit OTT, but it maybe reflects the fact that Queens fans have generally rejected the sectarian, success driven appeal of the OF.  A depressing wander in town this morning confirms that the same cannot be said of all Doonhamers.

I wouldn't say I'm upset, just remarking on some uninformed posting and people picking isolated, (and regrettable), incidents which could be said to suit an agenda. Sure, the dregs come out for big games but, as already stated, this is the case with many clubs. Yeah, a lot of our fans support Rangers, but I know of many Aberdeen and Hearts Bluemen, and a few Hibees too, not to mention one Celtic fan who used to go to games with me years ago and, hopefully, he still does? There are also many who couldn't give a fook ab out Scottish football as they are interested in Linfield only, but bigger and better clubs across the water will always attract fans. The troublemakers tend to turn out for Cliftonville and Glentoran games, and the aforementioned Shamrock Rovers game, but I am very hopeful that we will give a true account of ourselves in Dumfries, even if I do expect us to lose.

Incidentally, any recommendations for football friendly pubs before the game, and don't be sending us to any "Celtic-minded" pubs?

40 minutes ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Incidentally Willie, you were the poster I had thought better off.

Aye! OK Suitably chastised but you must admit that the little that gets an airing over here of Linfield does not paint them in a very bright light?

As for pubs, I no longer live in Dumfries so one of the local guys would be best to help. Wouldn't want to recommend one only to find that it had become a dive in the last 6 years

1 hour ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

That about sums it up for me. If you have taken the trouble to look you would find lots of cross community work and outreach, links with ROI teams, giving our facilities to a camogie side (ladies hurling is about as best as I can describe it), and a team representing all of the Northern Irish communities. Yup - we have a few dickheads and people who are stuck in the past, but that is inevitable in a fractured community where people of my age lived in a warzone for many years, but we are trying to bring everyone along. Incidentally Willie, you were the poster I had thought better off.

I wouldn't say I'm upset, just remarking on some uninformed posting and people picking isolated, (and regrettable), incidents which could be said to suit an agenda. Sure, the dregs come out for big games but, as already stated, this is the case with many clubs. Yeah, a lot of our fans support Rangers, but I know of many Aberdeen and Hearts Bluemen, and a few Hibees too, not to mention one Celtic fan who used to go to games with me years ago and, hopefully, he still does? There are also many who couldn't give a fook ab out Scottish football as they are interested in Linfield only, but bigger and better clubs across the water will always attract fans. The troublemakers tend to turn out for Cliftonville and Glentoran games, and the aforementioned Shamrock Rovers game, but I am very hopeful that we will give a true account of ourselves in Dumfries, even if I do expect us to lose.

Incidentally, any recommendations for football friendly pubs before the game, and don't be sending us to any "Celtic-minded" pubs?

Plenty of ok places in town centre.

If coming in from Stranraer though, Market Square nearer the ground has four pubs within about thirty yards.  I'd avoid the Spread Eagle though.

Archived