Dunfermline v Dundee United Sat 10th Sept.

After a welcome return to getting to hammer a part time outfit, Pars return to the misery of facing up to folk that play football for a living. It feels like a transition period for us just now as last year the squad was sorted early in preseason and now we're in September and still needing another striker. Sounds like it's just a case of F El A proving his fitness before he assumes the Moroccan Magician role vacated by F El B. I could see us hitting a good patch of form at some point but expect our shaky spell to continue for a wee while yet. Having an aerial threat from set pieces (Ashcroft, Geggan) is a new phenomenon for us.

We'll probably still have the wee keeper, chopped and changed defence, unsettled midfield and and decent bunch of forwards (but who plays?). If, by some miracle, we could get to about 60 or 70 minutes in without gifting a soft goal or two then I could see us snatching something, given the front players we can bring on. Don't see it happening though and expect another nul points. Prove me wrong Pars!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gifting a soft goal you say? If Dunfermline do that as well as United do then we could end up with a 4-4 classic here. 

Looking forward to a trip through to Dunfermline (I will try not to talk about the steak bridies too much). I'd like to think we will bring through a really good support as we always seem to do when playing at East End Park. As long as we have no injuries from yesterday I would expect us to start with - 

Bell

Toshney

Van Struijk

Edjenguele

Dixon

Flood

Murdoch

Smith

Andreu

Fraser

Van der Velden

Subs - Zwick, Donaldson, Dillon, Robson, Spittal, Murray, Obadeyi

If I had to summarise the reason we were relegated last season it would be that we didn't address glaring problems until it was far too late.  Going by stu's suggested team we're going to start without a striker just as we have in the last two games.  Given Murray's recent performances understandable but still crazy.

Unless Dixon was brilliant yesterday then I'd bring Robson back in.  Also, is through the middle Andreu's best/preferred position because from what I've seen that's where Smith should be playing; he's wasted playing wide.

I'm away to London for the weekend so will miss this.  Apparently there will be no steak bridies so I'm not too bothered.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

If I had to summarise the reason we were relegated last season it would be that we didn't address glaring problems until it was far too late.  Going by stu's suggested team we're going to start without a striker just as we have in the last two games.  Given Murray's recent performances understandable but still crazy.

Unless Dixon was brilliant yesterday then I'd bring Robson back in.  Also, is through the middle Andreu's best/preferred position because from what I've seen that's where Smith should be playing; he's wasted playing wide.

I'm away to London for the weekend so will miss this.  Apparently there will be no steak bridies so I'm not too bothered.

Agreed. Murray, for all his limitations, is our only striker and must start. And Robson is better than Dixon by any measurement.

Fraser needs a spell on the bench, one that might motivate him to work harder and stop needlessly gifting the opposition possession (see Peterhead's first goal).

Unlike in McNamara's final flailing weeks, someone is actually due a doing. 4-0 United.

Bell

Toshney Franko Edge Robson

Flood Murdoch

VDV SmithC Andreu

Murray

If we can try SmithC up top instead of Murray, then Andreu into the middle and Obadeyi on the left.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

No idea who told you this but I got a lovely bridie at the Dumbarton game. You're missing out.

Don't know what to think of Saturday's match. I will be going but I have a horrible feeling we could get battered. Hopefully I'm proven to be totally wrong and the AJ Express will devour another unsuspecting victim.

Was hoping that Murdoch would be back in time for this but, going by his twitter, he's still got a few weeks to go, which is a damn shame. Feel we are a lot stronger defensively with him. Also, AJ, don't drop Fordyce and maybe we won't gift stupid goals away. He is our best defender and him alongside big Ashy will work a lot better. 

Wedderburn will probably miss this as well. McMullan has been bright so perhaps deserves a chance if Cardle isn't 100% 

McCabe isn't very good at this football malarky so he should be dropped and Herron given a chance. I want to see AJ being ruthless instead of sticking to his regulars. McCabe has been very poor so far and deserves to be dropped. No point bringing Herron in if he isn't going to get a game. 

Hopefully line up something like this:

Hutton

Williamson
Fordyce
Ashcroft
Martin

Higginbotham
Herron
Geggan
McMullan

Clark
Reilly

As long as McCabe isn't playing I'm not too fussed who plays wide. Cardle on his day can be superb, Higginbotham has something about him although we've yet to see what, McMullan did well last week and was OK at Brechin, Paton is getting back to full fitness and even Hopkirk could be an unknown quantity and in his only appearance sp far scored a goal. Murdoch is still a big miss but Hutton was noticeably more vocal yesterday and came off his line a lot more. Wedderburn already looks like one of those players we're not going to see much of and is getting better every game he misses - he better have a stormer when he returns with the big build up he's been getting. I'm hopeful we can sneak something if Peterhead and Dumbarton can, and if Toshney continues at right back. They will score at least one though. 

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

Cardle is our best player so should play.

If he is fit enough, then yes. Only included McMullan as he's done well and Cardle has been injured recently so might not be 100% to start.  

I think we can sneak something in this. We're a lot fitter and have a stronger team since we last met in the League Cup. United struggled against absolute jobbers in Peterhead so if we can manage to keep it tight for 70 minutes we might be able to snatch something. Excited to see how Reilly and Clrrk do. Potentially signing a fully fit El Alagui is giving me the horn as well. 

13 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

United struggled against absolute jobbers in Peterhead so if we can manage to keep it tight for 70 minutes we might be able to snatch something.

While the scoreline was close, United did not 'struggle' against Peterhead whatsoever. We dominated despite starting with three semi-fit players playing their first game in a while, and three new starts, a second choice keeper and no recognised striker. Hit the bar three times, missed sitters, keeper had a stormer, ended up something like 25 shots on goal.

Rather than 'keeping it tight' in hopes of getting something out of the game, you'd be better concentrating on how to manipulate our dodgy defence.

To suggest Cardle has a God given right to play is beyond me. Was pihs against rovers and then was unfortunately ill and lost his place to Mcmullan who has played very well over the last two games, so why should he lose his place? 

Only change I would make is wedderburn in for McCabe if fit. Expecting us to have a tough game here either way, would be happy with a point.

Gifting a soft goal you say? If Dunfermline do that as well as United do then we could end up with a 4-4 classic here. 

Looking forward to a trip through to Dunfermline (I will try not to talk about the steak bridies too much). I'd like to think we will bring through a really good support as we always seem to do when playing at East End Park. As long as we have no injuries from yesterday I would expect us to start with - 

Bell

Toshney

Van Struijk

Edjenguele

Dixon

Flood

Murdoch

Smith

Andreu

Fraser

Van der Velden

Subs - Zwick, Donaldson, Dillon, Robson, Spittal, Murray, Obadeyi

Telfer on the bench? Heard he played really well yesterday

13 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Looking forward to this, gonna head along early and catch the football before It. I enjoy going to EEP, good stand behind the goal and we always have a decent support. 3-1 United.

On that note, any pubs in Dunfermline within decent distance of the stadium that would be good to watch the football before the game? Probably going to head through early.

Archived