Ayr United v Greenock Morton

Massive game for the two teams still awaiting their first win in the league. I said at the start of the season that in order for us to finish 8th we'd have to finish above Morton and Dumbarton and nothing I have seen thus far has changed my opinion on that. I suspect St.Mirren will come good- they have too many decent players not too and Dunfermline will have enough firepower to avoid a relegation fight.

Wasn't at the Airdrie game on Sunday however from reports I've heard it sounds like Craig McGuffie was our best player before being taken off with a knock so if he is fit I would 100% start him, Forrest nicked a goal so he probably deserves to keep his place also. Adams and Harkins come straight back in to give us a couple of more options in cenral midfield. I'd probably start Nisbet upfront as he has done nothing wrong in his couple of apperences so far however if Morton are really as bad as dealing with cross balls as some of their fans suggest then starting big Andy O'Connell may be an option.

I'd start:

Fleming

Devlin

Meggat

Balatoni

Boyle

Adams

Docherty

McGuffie

Harkins

Forrest

Nisbet

Subs- Hart, Murphy, Cairney, Crawford, Gilmour,  Thomas, O'Connell

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not as downtrodden as my fellow supporters, despite last Saturday's mess and do still reckon we'll get something from the game. 

If there isn't an improvement in performance and/or we end up losing however, Duffy is going to be under serious pressure.

1-1, Harkins & Oliver to score.

13 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I'm not as downtrodden as my fellow supporters, despite last Saturday's mess and do still reckon we'll get something from the game. 

If there isn't an improvement in performance and/or we end up losing however, Duffy is going to be under serious pressure.

1-1, Harkins & Oliver to score.

A draw really isn't good enough though: this is must-win.

Last season we were largely incapable of taking anything from other mid-table sides, with Queen of the South being the only one we had an acceptable return from. 28 of our 43 points came from the bottom three, losing to none of them. Now, accepting that Dunfermline may well end up being shite over the course of the season but will certainly be better than Livingston, aside from us there's only two sides who are obvious relegation candidates (Ayr & Dumbarton) rather than last season's three. The early signs are that we're going to be every bit as incompetent at winning against other mid-table sides and can't have any confidence at taking points from them routinely.

That makes it all the more important to take maximum points from Ayr and Dumbarton; failing to do so and continuing our abysmal record v mid-table sides will certainly relegate us. We've already dropped points v Dumbarton, we really can't afford to do the same v Ayr. Obviously we're not good enough to expect to just turn up against any team and take 12 points from them over the course of the season, but if we can't do that against Ayr it's hard to see where the points are going to come from to get us to eighth.

It's still possible that one win is all it will take to turn the corner, but if we don't manage it on Saturday it's hard to see where it's going to come from. Only a win should save Duffy's job.

On 6 September 2016 at 23:46, Duke of Argyll said:

Ha! Right.....

Ghastly disrespect and poor humour is your trademark.

I think if I ever met you I wouldn't punch you I would pity you ......

On 7 September 2016 at 00:05, Duke of Argyll said:

Anyway....cos you are at the karaoke tonight you are not on the instant p&b come back road...

I see that you are struggling.  

My advice is... ..follow your gay instincts ditch the wife and follow your nob... . 

19 minutes between the posts.

Head's gone.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow and feel we can get our first win of the season. The team has been strengthened by the signings of Balatoni, Nisbet and Harkins. All look comfortable on the ball. Big decision for our leader - Do we start with McGuffie?

Honest Men to win 2-1.

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

What's that about Forbes?

There were rumours of him tanning pints in a pub in Irvine the day before the Hibs game. A mate of mine passed it on after one of his mates (who doesn't support Morton) told him so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Archived