Under 21's vs Macedonia

Gianfranco

9 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

We got in just after 7.05 que wasn't too bad then but looked down about 5 or 10 minutes later and it was miles long. Turnstiles wern't very well organised as they were taking both cash and tickets, probably should have had separate ones for each and also opened ones at the Gorgie end and allowed folk to walk round, they allowed people to leave that way.

Think the SFA underestimated the crowd which was 3 or 4 times more than they usually get at Paisley.

If so that only emphasises what I'm saying about poor organisation.

Attendances for recent U21 games in Edinburgh, all at Easter Road:

25 Apr 2012 - Scotland v Italy (friendly) - 4,665
11 Oct 2010 - Scotland v Iceland (playoff) - 12,320
11 Oct 2007 - Scotland v Lithuania (qualifier) - 4,168
18 Nov 2003 - Scotland v Croatia (playoff) - 11,992

and this was a Friday night qualifier with numerous Hearts and Hibs players involved.

To not have anticipated - and been overwhelmed by - a crowd of 4,557... plus however many drifted away in frustration... is totally unacceptable.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

and this was a Friday night qualifier with numerous Hearts and Hibs players involved.

To not have anticipated - and been overwhelmed by - a crowd of 4,557... plus however many drifted away in frustration... is totally unacceptable.

Totally agree.

On 03/09/2016 at 00:25, 1320Lichtie said:

:lol:

You're just ignoring everything I've said.

And they'd be training and playing in games anyway ffs. They're not bairns in the under 21s, the good ones play a few games or totally bypass that level.

It'll help aye. But what players do day in and day out at their CLUBS is a vital part of development, not a few training sessions and a jolly every few months to play other guys their same age from countries like Macedonia.

If it was a waste of time  they would do away with it. The problem is other countries take there international youth teams seriously.  How can we honestly say we do when we appoint dinosaurs to take charge of them

If it was a waste of time  they would do away with it. The problem is other countries take there international youth teams seriously.  How can we honestly say we do when we appoint dinosaurs to take charge of them

I'm not saying it's a waste of time

Are there any coaches doing well with the U20s league who would consider the job? Could maybe do both? Surely getting someone in who is used to working with and developing young players is whats needed here. Between this idiot and Stark the SFA have turned the u21s into a joke.

16 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Are there any coaches doing well with the U20s league who would consider the job? Could maybe do both? Surely getting someone in who is used to working with and developing young players is whats needed here. Between this idiot and Stark the SFA have turned the u21s into a joke.

it would be career suicide for a good, high rated youth coach in a club to take the scotland gig,

Since the end of Rainer Bonhof's reign the U21 managers have been Archie Knox, Billy Stark and Ricky Sbragia - with Maurice Malpas twice serving as caretaker and Danny Lennon once. With the exception of Lennon - whose subsequent job was Alloa Athletic - they are pretty much the very definition of "old school".

23 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Do you have an attendance for an u 21 game against Latvia at Broadwood? Can't remember the year but Kevin McNaughton scored in a 1-0 win so we're talking about 15 years give or take. I wouldn't usually be interested in something like this but at that game I sat in the opposite stand from the home end at Broadwood so must've been a half decent turnout if that was open.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Assume Scott Booth will be the next U21 manager, hes not someone I know a lot about though.

Stenny fans and players didn't seem to like Booth. Pretty sure it was touched upon on one of the Tell Him He's Pele podcasts.

Since the end of Rainer Bonhof's reign the U21 managers have been Archie Knox, Billy Stark and Ricky Sbragia - with Maurice Malpas twice serving as caretaker and Danny Lennon once. With the exception of Lennon - whose subsequent job was Alloa Athletic - they are pretty much the very definition of "old school".

Christ that's a proper rogues gallery.

23 hours ago, kenny131 said:

The worst appointment I have ever known at any level of Scottish football.  Rickyasouaris sbragia is clueless

He even looks like a dinosaur from that show Dinosaurs.

sbragia.jpg

14 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Do you have an attendance for an u 21 game against Latvia at Broadwood? Can't remember the year but Kevin McNaughton scored in a 1-0 win so we're talking about 15 years give or take. I wouldn't usually be interested in something like this but at that game I sat in the opposite stand from the home end at Broadwood so must've been a half decent turnout if that was open.

I've records of the following U21 / B internationals at Broadwood. Do give a shout if I've missed any:

24 Mar 1998 - Scotland B v Wales B - 5,989
06 May 2009 - Scotland B v Northern Ireland B - 2,110

15 Nov 1994 - Scotland U21 v Russia U21 (qualifier) - 6,350
06 Sep 1995 - Scotland U21 v Finland U21 (qualifier) - 2,571
05 Oct 2001 - Scotland U21 v Latvia U21 (qualifier) - 2,455
28 Mar 2003 - Scotland U21 v Iceland U21 (qualifier) - 3,162
08 Oct 2004 - Scotland U21 v Norway U21 (qualifier) - 3,014
07 Oct 2005 - Scotland U21 v Belarus U21 (qualifier) - 3,122
06 Feb 2007 - Scotland U21 v Germany U21 (qualifier)  2,326

Has there been any word from the authorities about their appalling lack of organisation for this game?  Hosting U21 football in Edinburgh on a Friday night for £5 is a great idea, but that shambles will have put a lot of people off going again.  As others have pointed out, they should have been prepared for the number of fans who turned up.

We missed the first 20 minutes, found our seats were already taken so got told my the steward to just sit anywhere.  Then another steward tried to shift us out of the seats we found because they belonged to someone else.  Had to explain that his colleagues were allowing it to be a free-for-all, so was he really prepared to shift the folk in our seats, then folk from their seats and so on?  Thankfully, he wasn't, he apologised and left us alone!

And you simply can't sell at the turnstile for a stand which is going to be close to capacity.  If a group of people divides between more than one turnstile (as you do to get through more quickly) then they're inevitably going to get tickets for entirely different parts of the stand.  Which leads to them sitting together anyway and disregarding the reservations, hence the mess.

FWIW, what I did get to see of the match was very enjoyable and definitely worth the £5.  Didn't really care about the result, tbh.  And the Macedonia antics were quite funny - especially throwing a ball back on the pitch in an attempt to get the game stopped.  I also enjoyed the irony of the middle-aged man with a mohican sat next to me shouting at Oliver McBurnie to get a haircut.

Archived