Under 21's vs Macedonia

Gianfranco

lol 

How's going away for a couple of days every few month with the international under 21 team vital for their development? It plays a part aye but it's hardly vital. If you go through what's likely to be our starting line up for tomorrow you've got

Marshall - 4 under 21 caps

Hutton - 0

Martin - 0

Hanley - 1

Robertson - 4

Fletcher - 4

Morrison - 0

Anya - 0

Ritchie - 0

Burke - 0

Fletcher - 7

Meanwhile guys like Mark Reynolds, Ryan Jack, Stuart Armstrong etc will have loads because they've never been good enough to make the step up.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even allowing for the fact that this Macedonia U21 crop are very promising- 4 or 5 will play a role in the seniors World Cup squad- that's a grim result.

Macedonia are pretty poor at A team level but this group of youngsters will help their results improve. One or two decent players in there.

Its an anomaly- the Macedonian league is poor and I'm not sure the coaching is better. Must be the end for Sbragia.

I doubt Morrison, Ritchie or Martin had any intention of playing for Scotland when they were 19 years old. 

It's vital for their development because some may not necessarily be first team starters and will need game time. Other benefits include playing with different players, different systems, tactics, formations learn from different coaches, play in front of crowds, an opportunity to qualify for tournament football and being proud of representing your country. Like I said, it hasn't done the likes of Ronaldo, Pique, De Gea, Ramos etc any harm. 

It's not really rocket science.  

Even allowing for the fact that this Macedonia U21 crop are very promising- 4 or 5 will play a role in the seniors World Cup squad- that's a grim result.

Macedonia are pretty poor at A team level but this group of youngsters will help their results improve. One or two decent players in there.

Its an anomaly- the Macedonian league is poor and I'm not sure the coaching is better. Must be the end for Sbragia.

Sbragia is actually worse than Strachan......Strachan can at least find clothes that fit him.....

I doubt Morrison, Ritchie or Martin had any intention of playing for Scotland when they were 19 years old. 

It's vital for their development because some may not necessarily be first team starters and will need game time. Other benefits include playing with different players, different systems, tactics, formations learn from different coaches, play in front of crowds, an opportunity to qualify for tournament football and being proud of representing your country. Like I said, it hasn't done the likes of Ronaldo, Pique, De Gea, Ramos etc any harm. 

It's not really rocket science.  

But their not first choice for their country either and are playing against other youth teams just like they would be doing at their clubs??? :lol:

Also I'm pretty sure all the players you mentioned could've played zero under 21 games for their countries and it would've made f**k all of a difference. They're just incredible players. The only reason these guys will have so many under 21 caps is because the players that are in the 1st teams at these countries will be so good.

Look at that under 19 team we had, the one that got to the final and played Pique/Ramos etc. How many have them have done anything of note in their career?

Eta: everything else you said, tactics, new players etc aye I take that all on board, you'd imagine it would help them ever so slightly as players, but a vital part of their development? Nope

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Look at that under 19 team we had, the one that got to the final and played Pique/Ramos etc. How many have them have done anything of note in their career?

Five of them played for Thistle, it doesn't get better than that.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

But their not first choice for their country either and are playing against other youth teams just like they would be doing at their clubs??? :lol:

Also I'm pretty sure all the players you mentioned could've played zero under 21 games for their countries and it would've made f**k all of a difference. They're just incredible players. The only reason these guys will have so many under 21 caps is because the players that are in the 1st teams at these countries will be so good.

Eta: everything else you said, tactics, new players etc aye I take that all on board, you'd imagine it would help them ever so slightly as players, but a vital part of their development? Nope

We'll agree to disagree. In my opinion, playing for your country at under 21 level and below is vital for player development and I'd imagine every coach in world football would agree with me. Every training session and football match at that age is vital for players developing their game. You disagree and think if they are "incredible" players they'll make it anyway.   

We'll agree to disagree. In my opinion, playing for your country at under 21 level and below is vital for player development and I'd imagine every coach in world football would agree with me. Every training session and football match at that age is vital for players developing their game. You disagree and think if they are "incredible" players they'll make it anyway.   

:lol:

You're just ignoring everything I've said.

And they'd be training and playing in games anyway ffs. They're not bairns in the under 21s, the good ones play a few games or totally bypass that level.

It'll help aye. But what players do day in and day out at their CLUBS is a vital part of development, not a few training sessions and a jolly every few months to play other guys their same age from countries like Macedonia.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

:lol:

You're just ignoring everything I've said.

And they'd be training and playing in games anyway ffs. They're not bairns in the under 21s, the good ones play a few games or totally bypass that level.

What players do at their CLUBS is a vital part of development, not a few training sessions and a jolly every few months to play other guys their same age from countries like Macedonia.

Not really. You were being very selective in discussing the merits of a few potential starters who probably had hopes and aspirations of getting a game for England over the likes of Bannan and Forrest who played for the under 21's. 

Aye, great. Playing a training ground match watched by 3 coaches, a walker and his dog over playing for your country and attended by thousands. 

What players do at their clubs AND for their country is vital for their development. Like I said, every training session and match is vital for their development.  

Not really. You were being very selective in discussing the merits of a few potential starters who probably had hopes and aspirations of getting a game for England over the likes of Bannan and Forrest who played for the under 21's. 

Aye, great. Playing a training ground match watched by 3 coaches, a walker and his dog over playing for your country and attended by thousands. 

What players do at their clubs AND for their country is vital for their development. Like I said, every training session and match is vital for their development.  

Forrest another with a whole 4 under 21 caps.. This is all very tedious but no I'm saying that if it's as vital as what you're saying it is for developing international players why do so many of our current starters only have a handful between them?

It's a youth team kick about. They can be handy for young guys who can't get into the 1st team because we're very strong in a certain area, like LB for example at the moment, and letting guys experience what it's like to get away with the national team.

But I don't think it would make a difference if Jordan McGhee for example had spent the week training with Middlesbrough instead. Probably would've been getting better training down there tbh.

The under 21 squad would be good for a player's development if they were going away for a week to work with a top class coach.

Ricky Sbragia is not even a good coach never mind top class.

Rather than treating the u21 team as an afterthought, the SFA should invest in a top coach to take charge. Our young players would benefit enormously if they could get to a finals. 

The under 21 squad would be good for a player's development if they were going away for a week to work with a top class coach.

Rather than treating the u21 team as an afterthought, the SFA should invest in a top coach to take charge. Our young players would benefit enormously if they could get to a finals. 

Correct. Which is why none of this will happen sadly.

Bloody hell. We don't even have a top class coach as the senior manager. What top class coach is going to be tempted into managing our youths? It's a shame we hadn't thought of this before the managerial merry go round in the epl, we could have got pep or mourinho in

It’s time Sbragia went really. He seems to only care about results (see comments about not picking a player this week due to lack of experience at u21 level) yet he cant mastermind a win over macedonia at home. Add that to previous comments and he is coming across as a bit of a footballing dinosaur.

10 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Just back from the game. Missed the first 15 mins as Hearts had considerately opened only one stand and the queue was about a mile long. 

Hearts don't decide what stands to open for a Scotland game. 

With the hassle getting in last night and folk no really paying attention to where they were meant to be sitting I got told by a steward to sit in the disabled seats. I eventually found a seat with my pal and moved but deary me the view you get at Tynecastle in the disabled section is a genuine disgrace, no idea how they get away with that.

Archived