Livingston v Celtic U20's, Irn Bru Challenge Cup 3rd round

Davie Bhoy

The competition is a complete monstrosity this year with the inclusion of Billy big boys from the premier league and how they thought introducing Irish and Welsh teams most of who get poorer crowds than Scotland would somehow make it magically interesting is a slap in the face for clubs up here.

I think the thing that gets to most lower league fans is that the chance has been taken away from clubs like Annan and Cowdenbeath to maybe get to a final, yes it isn't a massive competition but maybe the only cup these teams have the chance of winning.

The fact that all the colts teams are out before the Irish and Welsh teams even enter must be a kick in the teeth and an indication it hasn't worked.

The re introduction of the reserve league would be a much better idea, that way you'll have a mix of older pros and young kids playing competitively.

The development league allows a mix of older pros and young kids.

Otherwise good points.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

That dive though :lol:

It's a penalty, but aye the way he goes down :lol:

Livingston rattling the youths out the diddy cup and enraging them on Twitter. Fair play lads, that is an excellent effort.

Clear penalty, not showing the one in the second half we never got that was a stonewaller ? 

It's a penalty, but aye the way he goes down :lol:

Livingston rattling the youths out the diddy cup and enraging them on Twitter. Fair play lads, that is an excellent effort.

Only seen it once & didn't think it was a penalty. If he really gets fouled how does he find the time to pull a dive like that out the bag?

Agree the 2nd one should've been a penalty but I initially was 60/40 in favour that it wasn't & it was only when I seen the replay that I changed my mind.

20 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Only seen it once & didn't think it was a penalty. If he really gets fouled how does he find the time to pull a dive like that out the bag?

Agree the 2nd one should've been a penalty but I initially was 60/40 in favour that it wasn't & it was only when I seen the replay that I changed my mind.

The fact that the boy who made the tackle never appealed to the ref, come to think of it i cant remember any of the Celtic lads complaining about the decision, he's been a bit theatrical but it's a penalty, no question.

Reminded me of the penalty Celtic got against Astana in the CL qualifiers this season. 

The fact that the boy who made the tackle never appealed to the ref, come to think of it i cant remember any of the Celtic lads complaining about the decision, he's been a bit theatrical but it's a penalty, no question.

Reminded me of the penalty Celtic got against Astana in the CL qualifiers this season. 

People react differently to things. Should've actually been a foul to Celtic as the lad gets barged in the back to push him off the ball.

The Astana penalty was clear cut. Not sure why you're trying to compare the two.

13 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

People react differently to things. Should've actually been a foul to Celtic as the lad gets barged in the back to push him off the ball.

The Astana penalty was clear cut. Not sure why you're trying to compare the two.

People react differently but a full team not saying a word, if they felt an injustice had taken place then I'm sure someone would've complained, that's football, it happens.

Im comparing the two because they are very similar incidents, both nicked the ball before the defender tried to clear and fouled the player, both clear cut penalties. 

As ive said and you've also acknowledged the penalty appeal in the 2nd half was pretty clear cut too but not given so these things swing in roundabouts.

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

If you look at the 'B' teams results, how much will this really have "aided their development"? Particularly in the context of R1-R2 being played in August before their season had even started. There were 12 such teams admitted. Half of them lost in R1 so their entire exposure to the opportunity was 90 minutes in a defeat. All of the remainder except Celtic went out in R2 so their entire exposure was 180 minutes with 1 win/1 defeat. Only Celtic met a full-time opponent.

I doubt it will matter, though. Whatever happened, Doncaster etc. would have a defence. If they'd done well, it would've been used to say they deserved their places - not having done well, it will be used to say their participation supposedly isn't doing any harm.

The idea that playing 2 or 3 games against lower league sides was somehow going to 'aid their development' in any meaningful way was absurd anyway. By the time you are 19 you've been playing football for around 15 years, the amount of hours and quality training/playing during those years is what decides whether players will make it or not, not playing 180 minutes against some part-timers in front of 300 fans.

Either it shows an incredible lack of understanding of what is important in player development, or more likely 'player development' is the reason given to cover up the real reasons.

Archived