TV License

Romeo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the issue with changing to an advertising-based model isn't anything to do with viewers having to sit through ad breaks, but with the corporation being forced to change their programming (and editorial lines) to appeal to advertisers. In theory, programming is geared towards the viewer's needs at the moment, although I've no doubt plenty of folk would take issue with how that works in practice. It's worth bearing in mind that every sitting government is always narked off with the BBC's reporting, though.

Judging by the comments on the thread so far, it appears that they've already switched to a subscription service anyway, as folk can quite happily not pay and the corporation carries on regardless without their money. Seems fair enough.

i think the issue with changing to an advertising-based model isn't anything to do with viewers having to sit through ad breaks, but with the corporation being forced to change their programming (and editorial lines) to appeal to advertisers. In theory, programming is geared towards the viewer's needs at the moment, although I've no doubt plenty of folk would take issue with how that works in practice. It's worth bearing in mind that every sitting government is always narked off with the BBC's reporting, though.

Judging by the comments on the thread so far, it appears that they've already switched to a subscription service anyway, as folk can quite happily not pay and the corporation carries on regardless without their money. Seems fair enough.

In practice though the news coverageis every bit as right wing and sensationalist as sky and daytime n peak viewing is pretty awful. The quality output has to be searched for on BBC2 and bbc 4. Sky can point to likes of sky Atlantic for quality drama. Sitting govts moaning about the news coverage are like managers moaning about refs, just deflecting blame. In practice c4 news is massively superior in terms is asking hard questions.

4 hours ago, dogmc said:

In practice though the news coverageis every bit as right wing and sensationalist as sky and daytime n peak viewing is pretty awful. The quality output has to be searched for on BBC2 and bbc 4. Sky can point to likes of sky Atlantic for quality drama. Sitting govts moaning about the news coverage are like managers moaning about refs, just deflecting blame. In practice c4 news is massively superior in terms is asking hard questions.

You and I can argue that their output is awful, but millions would disagree. Presumably if their programming catered to our tastes more, there'd be an even greater number of angry licence fee payers complaining that they miss their programmes. Sky can point to Sky Atlantic all they want, but you have to pay substantially more than the licence fee to get it, so you'd certainly hope that the quality was better. The only problem is that the BBC licence fee is theoretically mandatory, but we seem to have already established that isn't the case in practice.

No arguments about C4's news being more confrontational; I'd argue that if the BBC had a similar attitude to their news output, they'd be on the shortlist for privatisation pretty fast, and they know it. As far as it being right wing, you could say that they're not only trying to lean towards the government in order to keep their status, but also to the general public. There's no real argument that Britain doesn't lean to the right at the moment, no matter what we might think about it.

It'll be gone soon enough anyway. Not sure that public opinion has turned enough for it to happy quite yet, but I'd be surprised if it was still publicly-owned by the time we have a change of government.

10 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Were they holding up a big board saying 'Hi Phil, we're the TV guys, let us in'?

The more I think of it, if they were at the door, why were you looking out the window?

Probably all the high tech equipment for locating houses that don't have a TV licence was the give away.

Archived