TV License

Romeo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree that if I buy a TV and want to use it for, say my PS4 or to watch Sky I must pay the BBC license fee. In this digital era it would be quite easy to opt out of the bbc channels and not pay my license fee. 

Watch TV often but don't have a license. I simply told them that I don't have a device capable of picking up a signal. Amusingly you can actually see my indoor aerial from outside as it sits right by the window. They took my word though and have never bothered me since (this was 2 years ago). 

f**k paying those cuntos any money for their propaganda. 

Had a conversation with a lassie at work. Despite my attempts to convince her otherwise (as well as my hooting laughter), she was absolutely convinced that the TV License folk genuinely have guys firing around in vans with special equipment to identify signals.

As Ab Lib has pointed out above, if they ever did come to your door (and I've never once heard of this happening to anyone I know), you don't have to let them in. In theory they could go away and get a court order that would allow them entry, but that would take at least a week or so, giving you plenty of time to hide shit. But I doubt they've ever actually got a court order to do this.

No danger you'd catch me paying it. I had a nice fellow at the door from them, conversation was short and sweet.

"Our records show there is no TV license at this address, just wondering if this is correct?"

"Yes"

"Do you watch TV programming as it is being broadcast?"

"No"

"Would you mind if I come in to verify that?"

"I'd rather you didn't."

"Ok Sir, we'll update our records. Bye."

"Fare thee well"

53 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It's 2016. Surely there must be some sort of facility to block people without a licence from viewing the BBC whilst still allowing them to own a TV.

You'd think so. If Sky can stop you watching movies until you pay for the privilege, why can't the BBC?

It's a bit like the Daily Record shoving a paper through your door but telling you that unless you have a 'newspaper license' you can't read it.

I don't mind paying it. Listen to 6 music all day, listen to Off the Ball and open all mics quite a bit, plus the film show on 5 live. Their TV stuff generally doesn't interest me but all those hours of music and radio programmes seem decent value. 

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

It's 2016. Surely there must be some sort of facility to block people without a licence from viewing the BBC whilst still allowing them to own a TV.

That would require everyone to have the same digibox/freesat box/whatever. Just not feasible.

3 hours ago, Eoin said:

You can get around it if you are a student living away from home and your parents have a license. As long as you watch iplayer on a tablet/phone that isn't plugged into the mains. As soon as you plug it in it becomes illegal again

What's the specific law about this?

I can see this creating absurd situations where you're breaking the law if you plug your iPad into a wall-charger, but if you plug it into a battery pack, which in turn is plugged-in either to a wall-charger or, say, a computer's USB charging port, you're not.

The TV licence model really is a 1960s idea living in the 21st century. Plenty other providers of media services do so without advertising in an accountable way. The one that immediately springs to mind is HBO.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

I can see this creating absurd situations where you're breaking the law if you plug your iPad into a wall-charger, but if you plug it into a battery pack, which in turn is plugged-in either to a wall-charger or, say, a computer's USB charging port, you're not.

The TV licence model really is a 1960s idea living in the 21st century. Plenty other providers of media services do so without advertising in an accountable way. The one that immediately springs to mind is HBO.

http://www.savethestudent.org/news/tv-licensing-loophole-revealed-students-dont-need-a-licence-to-watch-iplayer-after-all.html

Did there not used to be a loophole that if your telly was run off a car battery you were exempt? Your right it's a bloody mess anyway the current legislation.

I pay mine, but really only as I feel guilty as my Maw used to get me it as a Christmas present (!) each year up until last year, and fairly sure it all goes to her house, so wouldn't want her worrying that I wasn't paying it.

Quite tempted to tell them to ram it in all honesty, but they do make some good tv programmes.

Archived