TV License

Romeo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I let my license expire last august and the enforcement team has only been round once when I wasn't in (you get a card through the door) the detector vans are probably a myth as as are handheld equipment, any of their scare tactics are a load of pish actualy, it doesn't realy matter that they know you are watching tv  You can only be prosecuted if you 1) identify yourself as the person they're looking for 2) allow them access to your house and your tv set and 3) sign the paperwork they have. you are under no obligation to do any of that. if you ask an enforcement officer to leave they must do so. don't listen to their talk of high tech equipment, theyd get laughed out of court with that , no ones ever been prosecuted by any other way than by home visit.  

in some cases they can apply to a sherrif for a search warrant, only in cases where its glaringly obvious that live tv is being watched on the premisis. this is rare tho.  all in all don't be a smartarse and film them, give them backchat , threaten them or come away with that freeman shite as those are the kind of people they keep going after.

when they come to your door, turn off the telly, they will ask you "do you live here?"  when they do ask who is asking and when they say tv licensing just be polite and say   im sorry I cant help you mate  and close the door.  by talking to them your helping them gather evidence which they can apply for a warrant with. let some other fanny do that and theyl likely leave you alone.

these are not my opinions btw, I done a fair bit of homework before letting mine lapse. so far so good

I'm happy enough paying the licence fee. I haven't even checked to see how much it is these days, it just comes off by direct debit.

I also listen to a lot of BBC radio programmes.

While there is utter shite like BBC Scotland in the morning, there is also excellent stuff on Radio 2, 3 and 4, and the football on BBC Scotland. Just checked, and I don't even need a licence for this. Does the licence pay for BBC radio too?

How much is the licence these days?

I just filled in the declaration for not needing a licence. I watch netflix/amazon prime but never bother with live tv/radio. . Still, last year I had Sky and I felt aggrieved at paying twice to have a licence and Sky which provided BBC channels. Surely this should be rolled up into the price of the TV subscriptions? You can't have Sky tv without needing a licence so why give you the option to skip out on it?

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Apparently as well as your TV licence, you can also save on your road tax (I know its VED before pedantry kicks in) quoting the freeman of the land stuff.

Here's a guy demonstrating how you go about it...

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes.

If I went round to one of these "freemen of the land" with a baseball bat, gave him a panning, and stole his telly I wonder what he'd do about it...

I love all the indignation and supposed justification for not paying the TV licence fee.
It reminds me of the folk who don’t want to pay tax but still want better public services.

What if people don't want to watch TV or use any BBC service?

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
I love all the indignation and supposed justification for not paying the TV licence fee.
It reminds me of the folk who don’t want to pay tax but still want better public services.

What if people don't want to watch TV or use any BBC service?

If people aren’t using a service they won’t need to pay for it but if they have equipment capable of using the service they may need to show they are not using it.

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

30 minutes.  What happened to this place?

On 06/09/2016 at 13:57, NewBornBairn said:

I would gladly sell my house and put my wife on the game to pay my TV licence. Marvellous value and far too cheap IMHO. 

"Marvellous value and far too cheap IMHO. "

Your wife or the TV licence?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If people aren’t using a service they won’t need to pay for it but if they have equipment capable of using the service they may need to show they are not using it.

No you don't. As has already been mentioned, you are under no obligation to tell them your name, let alone allow them in the house. 

I don't watch live TV or the iPlayer, but I'll be darned if I'm going to have some arsehole I don't know come snooping round my house trying to catch me out. 

8 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

No you don't. As has already been mentioned, you are under no obligation to tell them your name, let alone allow them in the house. 

I don't watch live TV or the iPlayer, but I'll be darned if I'm going to have some arsehole I don't know come snooping round my house trying to catch me out. 

I think you should be thrown in jail.

Nothing to do with the TV licence but for using ‘darned’ in a post.

Archived