Biggest FM meltdowns

Stellaboz

What's your biggest FM/Champ Man meltdown over the years? I seem to remember my CM01/02 crashing after winning the Champions League with I think Portsmouth and hadn't saved in a good long time and ended up booting the PC and putting a god almighty crack in the cover. Thing was a piece of junk anyway- damn Windows ME.

After having a somewhat shaky start to a season despite having the then very young Modric and Falcao (among others) on my team I'm away to Inverness and I go up 4-1 within the first 15 minutes. It's still 4-1 at 80 minutes. It ends 4-4. Never played it again for about two years. Fucking Dennis Wyness.

I spent ten seasons furiously getting Saints into the Champions League knockout stages on FM14. Finally managed it thanks to a last game win.

Then my laptop crashed. I'd plugged the charger in but never switched it on...

I now have monthly autosaves and always triple check the charger, as I never returned to that save, or even the game.

Also just a few weeks ago I was cruising 3-0 against St Mirren. When a "Kane" appears up front for them. Start wondering if it was former Saints striker Chris Kane so sort of half wish he'd score so I could see the name.

Ten minutes later he has a hat trick.

I got Scotland to the World Cup semi-finals against Finland in CM 96/97, and we were 4-1 up with 20 minutes to go. Ended up losing 4-5. That was the end of that saved game. Clive Tyldesley did the commentary in that version and I still hold him somehow responsible.

FM2007 I think, after many seasons of blood, sweat and tears (and an Administration) I had Dundee comfortably sitting second in the SPL behind Rangers (Celtic had imploded and were 7th) and in the last round of the Champions League qualifiers against Shakhtar Donetsk. Having lost the away leg 0-2 I didn't hold out much hope, however back at Dens we were 2-0 up after the 90mins, then 4-0 up with 3 mins of ET left. Shakhtar pulled one back on 117 mins, top scorer Steven Maclean then got a season-ending injury and i conceded again during the 2 extra minutes of stoppage time to go out on away goals. 

I was absolutely fucking seething, though my wrath was a bit tame. I uninstalled the game. 

Ran CM2 on an emulator years after it was released. In the emulator you could 'save' the game state at any time, and reload at that point.

I saved the game state a few minutes into a crucial match. Lost the match, so reloaded the game state a few minute into the match. Same result. Reloaded. Same result.

Turns out that the final score was set before kickoff. Subbies didn't make a difference. Tactical changes didn't make a difference. Having 40 shots on goal to 1 didn't make a difference. The match day interaction was a complete illusion.

The Collyers built an empire on b*****dness.

Having it. My Peterhead save, started with a failed attempt at Arbroath for 6 months, moving further up north to save Peterhead from relegation before two miraculous play off victories brought upon the foundation of pursuing 5 Premiership titles in a row, 4 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups and regular CL group stage qualification. Brand new 15000 seater stadium and amazing youth players coming through.

All lost because my laptop got the BSOD and i didn't back up online. Saved game lost. Don't have the heart to try it again, Tom Cairney became a legend too. :(

I was in a Champions League Quarter Final with Lincoln Red Imps (at a far advanced date) and was looking good after a decent result in the first leg against AC Milan.  2-2 in the San Siro meant we took the game home with two away goals.  What could possibly go wrong?

2 minutes into the game one of my star midfielders dived trying to win a penalty.  He was booked.  These things happen, but since there's no option to tell your player not to be a dick, I kept him on.  In the 42nd minute, he throws himself down in pretty much the same position.  Second yellow card, sent off for diving.  Twice.  In a Champions League Quarter Final.  I had to rearrange my team since I was playing a 4-4-2, bringing off my star striker to try and keep the midfield tight.  The striker I kept on?  He repaid me by getting booked midway through the second half.  For diving.  He was immediately subbed off for my only other available striker.  By this time Milan are 2-1 up on the night, 4-3 up on aggregate, and we needed two goals to go through.  Our only striker then tears a calf muscle, so was brought off.  Only vaguely attacking player I had left was a 15 year old AMC.  He didn't do well.

Milan go on to win, I relegate the forward to the reserves for the rest of the season (he eventually played for me again early the next season) and I arrange to sell the midfielder the very next day before relegating him to just watching the reserves for the rest of the season.  Seething.

Was managing Montrose and struggling in my first season but things were picking up a bit (was a few points from the play offs). In the 4th round of the Scottish Cup, we played St Johnstone away from home and picked up a, flukey, 1-0 victory with two red cards to the opposition. I was proud of my team and wanted to use this as the moment to inspire them to greatness so called a team meeting. Instead of praising them, I accidentally hit criticise and they, obviously, reacted badly.

Got sacked on the spot for poor dressing room morale.

• 3 weeks later...

CM00/01. St. Mirren vs Celtic, last day title decider at Love Street. At this point, I had finished 2nd the last 5 seasons in a row and was chasing that maiden league win.

We started a point ahead so a draw was enough. Even better when Par Larsson (cracking regen) was laid on by Zlatan to put me 1-0 up at half time. The screen was a sea of black and white text, chance after chance until the 85th minute when BAM.....kick-off....BAM.....two Celtic goals in a fucking minute...the last 4 four minute and injury time rolled off without so much as another bit of text until Full Time.

Angry doesn't quite cover it. I got the last laugh though, went on to win 14 in a row , the UEFA cup and got to the CL final before my shitey 2001 Windows ME PC decided it could no longer run the glorified spreadsheet efficiently after 24 seasons and continuously booted me from it (was like an 80MB save....big at the time but essentially f**k all) 

That save took me the best part of 8 months to build up as well with only Scotland, England, Italy, Germany and Spain on.....you could run 25 seasons on CM00/01 (or 01/02) overnight nowadays. All leagues on, full database.

I think my older brother on an older version (might have been Champ Man?) where he signed none other than a young Kaka. I forget the specifics but he ended up going in a complete huff with him over a transfer request and ended up relegating him to the reserves, making a point of fining Kaka the maximum amount possible every single week for the remainder of his contract, giving him a personalised training schedule that left him with several nasty, crippling injuries, and deliberately refusing to sell him on so that he could continue this torture on the remainder of his long term deal.

I did similar with Gretna tbh, on a save game where they went bust I made a point of creating a manager to release the entire Gretna squad then sign up a mixture of garbage 16 year olds and past it 35 year olds as key players on the longest deals possible with the maximum wage, pick a formation that was utterly mental, sign up shit backroom staff on huge, lengthy, expensive deals, go on holiday until I got the sack, then repeat the process.

The worst I've ever had, personally, was when my Thistle side were 9 points clear, with 1 game left before going into the split, but with a slightly worse goal difference than Motherwell, who had been taken over by a billionaire and had a ridiculously strong squad.

We went on a horrific run, including losing 4-1 to billionaire owned Hibs and 3-1 to Celtic, but were still level on points with Motherwell in the second last game of the season post split, which was at Fir Park, by now their goal difference meant that whoever won was pretty much guaranteed the title. We had beaten them in every single league game up until the split, convincingly.

In the 5th minute of the game we had a penalty appeal turned down, which "certainly looked like a foul"; in the 8th minute, a nothing ball was played forward into my half, miles out wide, and my centre half committed a foul... and was given a ridiculously harsh red card, considering it was well out wide with plenty of cover.

"That looked harsh!"

I adjusted my tactics to go more defensive; the free kick out wide was played in, they win a corner. From the corner, in the 10th minute, a penalty was given for handball against a defender.

"Partick Thistle's players are furious!

They're surrounding the referee! Conti is telling the ref that was never a penalty!

The penalty did seem harsh!"

I never shouted, or screamed, or laughed, or anything; I simply quit to the start screen, and calmly and methodically deleted every single FM 2016 save game off my computer.

Took me weeks to start playing it again.

• 1 month later...

Not FM, but after losing another game of online Warcraft 3 due to net lag and mouse lag, I made a permanent black dent in the (landlord's) wall when thrashing the mouse around by the ripped-out cord.

Good times.

On 4 November 2016 at 07:43, banana said:

Not FM, but after losing another game of online Warcraft 3 due to net lag and mouse lag, I made a permanent black dent in the (landlord's) wall when thrashing the mouse around by the ripped-out cord.

Good times.

Are you Morrissey?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a meltdown right now. Lying in bed riled up to **** cos of this ****ing thing.

Picture this. I've narrowly missed out on the conference title to take Chorley to back to back promotions. 2nd place sealed though. All good.

Barrow away in the first leg, 0-0 draw. Decent.

1-1 draw at home. Shite, out on away goals. Wait, no I'm not, the game says End of 90 minutes. Extra time it is. Dancer.

No more goals. Penalties will do. 4-2 win on penalties. ****ing YAS! Wembley here we come.

Naw, wait. FM has decided Barrow won on away goals after the match has gone to penalties? What?! So aye, it's Barrow in the play-off final.

****ing spewing.

Cannae even be arsed with the FA Trophy final now. I'm so ****ing pissed off.

Archived