Teacher meltdowns

Stellaboz

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 02/09/2016 at 18:14, Barn said:

That's bizarre because Thompson had to stop playing rugby because he broke his back... you'd think he would have more sympathy.

I thought he was great though, he used to go through the register and call people the wrong name intentionally, he called a boy Wesley in my class 'Snipsey' after Wesley Snipes and for reasons unbeknownst to anyone called a boy named Ross, 'Ralph'. It was absolutely fucking hilarious and he was unwavering for the whole year.

He seemed to take great pleasure in saying the name "Fraser" when we had him and it never failed to make me laugh. 

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 19:44, Miguel Sanchez said:

My standard grade computing class got Renfrewshire Council computers banned from editing Wikipedia articles for a year. Bunch of people started editing articles of things I liked, madness ensued as I went round trying to correct all of them.

You'll find that most schools/councils are banned from editing Wikipedia articles due to previous editing of pages by bairns/staff.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 12:35, stumigoo said:

Been teaching nearly 10 years, thankfully no mention of me or anyone I know (I don't think I've had any real meltdowns though). 

23 and counting here - the kids know when I get angry my voice gets quieter.

Having a sense of humour helps. 

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

23 and counting here - the kids know when I get angry my voice gets quieter.

Having a sense of humour helps. 

I've never been a "shouter", find it pretty embarrassing when you see teachers lose the plot in the face of some of the pupils. Never achieves anything and only makes things worse.

I've never been a "shouter", find it pretty embarrassing when you see teachers lose the plot in the face of some of the pupils. Never achieves anything and only makes things worse.

I much prefer the up-close-scary-as-f**k whisper. Definitely something I'm working on but like you stu I'm about as scary as a kitten.

Guilt trips, that's my weapon of choice (although plenty of kids react with the equivalent of the alan partridge 'shrugging the shoulders' gif).

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I much prefer the up-close-scary-as-f**k whisper. Definitely something I'm working on but like you stu I'm about as scary as a kitten.

Guilt trips, that's my weapon of choice (although plenty of kids react with the equivalent of the alan partridge 'shrugging the shoulders' gif).

The quiet whisper in the ear is often far more effective.

The other good weapon is if you know the parent(s) or guardian(s) well - often the threat of a phone call home is enough to deal with all but the most high tariff students.  With those sorts of students there's no point in raising your voice because they don't give a fekk in the first place.

The worst thing you can do is sound like you are pleading - a good reason to avoid the word "please" (although a "Thank you" does not go amiss) - makes what you say sound like it is an optional request instead of an instruction.

The other good weapon is if you know the parent(s) or guardian(s) well - often the threat of a phone call home is enough to deal with all but the most high tariff students.  With those sorts of students there's no point in raising your voice because they don't give a fekk in the first place.

The worst thing you can do is sound like you are pleading - a good reason to avoid the word "please" (although a "Thank you" does not go amiss) - makes what you say sound like it is an optional request instead of an instruction.

I quite like to play the 'I don't give a f**k either' card as well.

That throws them off a bit.

6 hours ago, stumigoo said:

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

As a nosy b*****d, what subjects do you three teach?  (I already know that Pandy isn't an English teacher ;) )

As a nosy b*****d, what subjects do you three teach?  (I already know that Pandy isn't an English teacher [emoji6] )

Cheeky b*****d.

I'll have you know sir that since your dressing down (one of them anyway) I've finally learned the difference between its and it's. So there (and thank you).

I teach history and I know that Stu is RME and guidance.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'll have you know sir that since your dressing down (one of them anyway) I've finally learned the difference between its and it's. So there (and thank you).

Well I can retire from the board* leaving you as my legacy. 

I think I knew you taught history.  May I assume, as a subject, it has a fairly uniform curriculum across Scotland?  My kids go to different schools 'down here' and their history curriculums are different. When my daughter did her GCSEs last year it was very topical (medicine, media and communications, The Great War etc).  My son will do his this academic year and the approach from his school is slightly different but still a little compartmentalised.

I'm pretty sure our O Grade syllabus started from the Roman invasion of Britain and ended in 1919 - or am I making this up?

*Not yet.  Don't cheer ;)

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Cheeky b*****d.

I tend to just say 'Guidance' at the moment. Declaring myself an RME teacher can bring with it some 'baggage'.

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I tend to just say 'Guidance' at the moment. Declaring myself an RME teacher can bring with it some 'baggage'.

Baggage?  Such as?  My degree's in theology and I gave some serious thought to taking a PGCE and teaching RE/RS a couple of years back - to the extent of attending lessons in a couple of local schools.

May be different 'down here' where there are GCSEs and A Levels in the subject, though.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Baggage?  Such as?  My degree's in theology and I gave some serious thought to taking a PGCE and teaching RE/RS a couple of years back - to the extent of attending lessons in a couple of local schools.

May be different 'down here' where there are GCSEs and A Levels in the subject, though.

Nothing much, I've just had a few debates on P&B regarding the value of the subject and when you tell people you teach RE they usually have pretty strong opinions on it! To be fair though the subject is much more diverse now compared to a number of years ago and I teach in an incredibly mixed school so it makes for great material. I think most adults either have really good memories or really terrible memories of doing the subject themselves so it can divide opinion. We get great numbers in the Senior school for those sitting National 5 and Higher so the kids do see the value in it. 

21 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Nothing much, I've just had a few debates on P&B regarding the value of the subject and when you tell people you teach RE they usually have pretty strong opinions on it! To be fair though the subject is much more diverse now compared to a number of years ago and I teach in an incredibly mixed school so it makes for great material. I think most adults either have really good memories or really terrible memories of doing the subject themselves so it can divide opinion. We get great numbers in the Senior school for those sitting National 5 and Higher so the kids do see the value in it. 

I'd say it's generally well-regarded down here..However, in my son's grammar school they do RE as a GCSE in Year 9 - two years early.

I sat in a couple of lessons at a local school for A Level RE and much of it was philosophy-based and thoroughly enjoyable.

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

What on earth would make someone choose to teach religion at school?!

A firm belief in the Lord God our Saviour, and a healthy knowledge of Rangers and Celtic songs.

Or the fact that there are very few of them and therefore it's a pretty safe job? 

Archived