The Ryder Cup 2016

peasy23

The WGC win is what would have got him a European Tour card as it's a joint event. Them's the breaks I suppose - he was a bit silly not playing in the last couple of European tournaments that count, especially as Clark asked him to.

There isn't a hope in hell Knox will be in the US team, for various reasons. 

If Clarke asked Knox to play and he didn't he has been the architect of his own downfall really. I thought he might at least play the Wyndham on the US tour.

Seems like a bit of complacency has maybe cost him.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Knox is technically first reserve if any of the European qualifiers withdraw, which is not impossible with Stenson struggling with a knee injury.

He has announced he is playing this week and aims to play in the Ryder cup before thinking about another operation

Short odds favourite at that, saw them as low as 1/2 the other day though I think that's gone back out to about 4/7. Europe are almost 2/1 with some of the bookies.

8/13 I seen on Tuesday. Probably deserved when you see the inexperience in the European team

Knox was 15th at the Deutsche Bank and is now 7th in the FedEx rankings. Good news for Europe with McIlroy winning and seems to have got the putter working again after a few sessions with Stenson's putting coach. Very few players from either team were high up the leaderboard.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Knox was 15th at the Deutsche Bank and is now 7th in the FedEx rankings. Good news for Europe with McIlroy winning and seems to have got the putter working again after a few sessions with Stenson's putting coach. Very few players from either team were high up the leaderboard.

My brother said about a month ago he reckoned McIlroy would get on better if he could ditch the Nike putter and go back to a Scotty Cameron one. Cue Nike pulling out of golf, McIlroy switching putter and winning the tournament! Quite glad he won and not Casey considering he hadn't been eligible for the Ryder Cup.

Top tens for Westwood and Fitzpatrick on the European Tour this week with Willett just outside is encouraging too.

My brother said about a month ago he reckoned McIlroy would get on better if he could ditch the Nike putter and go back to a Scotty Cameron one. Cue Nike pulling out of golf, McIlroy switching putter and winning the tournament! Quite glad he won and not Casey considering he hadn't been eligible for the Ryder Cup.

Top tens for Westwood and Fitzpatrick on the European Tour this week with Willett just outside is encouraging too.

Good to see, as I mentioned further up the thread far too many of the Europeans look off form so it's good that some of them seem to be on the way back.

Davis Love will name 3 of his 4 picks after the BMW Championship finishes later today. Dustin Johnson leads on 18 under, and of the US wildcard contenders Holmes and Kuchar are in the top 5. Bubba is 12 off the lead in 17th while Ricky Fowler could be playing himself out of contention down in 59th on 1 over.

Russell Knox doing well again tied for 12th.

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Ricky Fowler, JB Holmes and Matt Kuchar named as the first three American captain's picks. Surprised at Fowler being picked ahead of Bubba just now, his form has been very erratic lately.

So has Bubba's. Mind you, fowler has played the ryder cup twice now and never won a point.

1 minute ago, fanny paddery said:

So has Bubba's. Mind you, fowler has played the ryder cup twice now and never won a point.

Yep, was surprised when I saw that he has only 5 halves from his 8 matches, I know Fowler was 9th on their qualifying list but that came off the back of bottling it on the Sunday again at the Barclays when he could have claimed a spot.

The Yanks had a practice session at Hazeltine over the weekend, 9 players were there but only 6 of them are already on the team. The three that were there that aren't picked were Bubba, Justin Thomas and Daniel Berger, so you can put your money on one of those three being the final pick.

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

The Yanks had a practice session at Hazeltine over the weekend, 9 players were there but only 6 of them are already on the team. The three that were there that aren't picked were Bubba, Justin Thomas and Daniel Berger, so you can put your money on one of those three being the final pick.

Bubba is apparently not the preferred choice of the rest of the team because is he's not particularly popular with the rest of the pros.

If it is one of those three I can imagine it might be Thomas. Partly because he's best mates with Jordan Spieth and partly because I've no idea who Berger is.

Archived