The Ryder Cup 2016

peasy23

After the end of the Barclays last night we now know the players on both sides who have qualified by right. Rickie Fowler was the biggest loser on the Yank side, a 3rd place finish at the Barclays would have seen him qualify and he was leader after 54 holes. A final round 74 saw him drop out of contention and end up 7th and way down on what he needed. Patrick Reed won it to seal his place.

Europe

1. Rory McIlroy

2.Danny Willett

3. Henrik Stenson

4.Chris Wood

5. Sergio Garcia

6. Justin Rose

7. Rafa Cabrera Bello

8. Andy Sullivan

9. Matt Fitzpatrick

USA

1.Dustin Johnson

2. Jordan Speith

3. Phil Mickelson

4. Patrick Reed

5. Jimmy Walker

6. Brooks Koepka

7. Brandt Snedeker

8. Zach Johnson

Darren Clarke names his 3 wildcards on Tuesday. I would expect his mate Lee Westwood to be a cert, and after his comments about needing experience I would expect Kaymer to be named too. IMO that then leaves it a pick between Russell Knox and Thomas Pieters, who won in Denmark yesterday.

On the US side, Bubba Watson, JB Holmes, Fowler and Matt Kuchar were the next 4 on the points list and weren't that far off making the team. Davis Love will name 3 of his 4 picks after the BMW Championship on September 11th, and his last one after the Tour Championship which is just 5 days before the Ryder Cup starts on 30th September.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can see the Yanks winning this. Far too many rookies on the European side, and a couple of them have been in utterly horrendous form too.

First time in a while that I haven't fancied Europe's chances. Willett has done very little since he won the Masters, Chris Wood has struggled with injury and hasn't played that well either and Fitzpatrick has missed more cuts than he has made lately. It would need a huge turnaround in form for them and others for Europe to win.

Edit to add: Strong rumours that Clarke will pick Westwood, Kaymer and Donald. Donald's odds on being picked have dropped this morning.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

First time in a while that I haven't fancied Europe's chances. Willett has done very little since he won the Masters, Chris Wood has struggled with injury and hasn't played that well either and Fitzpatrick has missed more cuts than he has made lately. It would need a huge turnaround in form for them and others for Europe to win.

Edit to add: Strong rumours that Clarke will pick Westwood, Kaymer and Donald. Donald's odds on being picked have dropped this morning.

Knox will be really unlucky to miss out but i suspect he might.

Westwood and Kaymer are certs in my view. Suspect Donald might get the last pick given Knox would be another rookie.

Hope Knox does make it though.

I really can't see any circumstances in which Westwood doesn't get picked with him and Clarke being best mates. Knox will be very unfortunate not to make it imo, but in Donald's defence he has a decent record, especially in foursomes, which is one area where Europe need to press for an advantage as the Yanks have struggled in that part of the matches.

I was pessimistic about Europe's chances before I saw the US team - now I'm even more pessimistic! That is a ridiculously strong side. There isn't really a weak link and they are spoiled for choice with their picks.

Europe's isn't great for many of the reasons peasy23 mentioned. I think Westwood is fair enough, putting aside the fact he's Clarke's mate. Plenty of experience (put him with a rookie on day 1) and he did well in the Masters and the US Open until his implosion. Kaymer makes sense too. Would be disappointed if it was Donald. Knox has had a good year while Pieters is in form. Both are more deserving.

To me Knox is a great pick. He hits fairways, hits greens and is now a proven winner. Sounds very much like it will be Westwood, Kaymer and Donald. I`d pick Knox before Donald but can understand Clarke going for experience given those already in the team.

Knox would be my pick as well, steady player, as you say hits fairways and greens which is exactly what you need in foursomes. The fact he plays in American conditions most weeks gives him the edge over Pieters for me, but I can understand Clarke going for Donald who plays in a very similar way to Knox when he is on his game.

Seems fair enough going with Pieters. Gallacher in 2014 and I think one of the Molinari brothers in 2010 got picks on the back of good performances in the final tournament before wildcards had to be selected. Knox is very unlucky - I think he won the WGC event last year only a week or two before the points began.

Disappointed for Knox, but at least he missed out to a guy who is in good form rather than an experienced player.

The Yanks options for wildcards look very strong, but remember they can wait right til the end to pick their last one after they changed their selection process to include the playoffs after Billy Horschel ran amok two years ago after the team had already been named.

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Seems fair enough going with Pieters. Gallacher in 2014 and I think one of the Molinari brothers in 2010 got picks on the back of good performances in the final tournament before wildcards had to be selected. Knox is very unlucky - I think he won the WGC event last year only a week or two before the points began.

Knox only became a European Tour member a week after he won the WGC event. had he been a member already it would have counted and he would have comfortably made the team.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Disappointed for Knox, but at least he missed out to a guy who is in good form rather than an experienced player.

The Yanks options for wildcards look very strong, but remember they can wait right til the end to pick their last one after they changed their selection process to include the playoffs after Billy Horschel ran amok two years ago after the team had already been named.

Darren will be hoping Knox doesn`t do the same. He could easily win the whole Fedex series given he currently lies 8th in the ranking.

Read on twitter so taking with a pinch of salt, but Knox holds dual citizenship and is therefore eligible for America. Won't happen obviously but would be an interesting pick!

Would be hilarious if Davis love did try it though.

19 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Knox only became a European Tour member a week after he won the WGC event. had he been a member already it would have counted and he would have comfortably made the team.

Darren will be hoping Knox doesn`t do the same. He could easily win the whole Fedex series given he currently lies 8th in the ranking.

The WGC win is what would have got him a European Tour card as it's a joint event. Them's the breaks I suppose - he was a bit silly not playing in the last couple of European tournaments that count, especially as Clark asked him to.

There isn't a hope in hell Knox will be in the US team, for various reasons. 

Archived