US Open Tennis

lichtie23

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jmothecat said:

I've noticed that Eurosport will be getting the French open rights soon too, as well as the Winter Olympics from 2018 and summer olympics from 2024. I had thought things like the Olympics had to be free to air. Got to be a bad thing for UK sport for it to go to a relatively obscure channel. Their Tv player gets terrible reviews so not sure whether to take out a Eurosport subscription or not. That alongside paying for the BT and Sky Sports apps will get expensive.

I know this isn't particularly about the Open but the Olympics are protected - the BBC will still have live rights to the Olympics but it will be for fewer hours and won't include the multiple live streams online or on the red button. Europsport will have the pay TV rights and will have the whole of the Olympics on their channel and website. I think they've said they'll also have some events (presumably the same ones on the BBC to get people to watch their coverage rather than the beeb's) free to air too.

The deal with the BBC allowed Eurosport to show the Olympics this year as they sub contracted rights from the BBC in return for the BBC sub contracting rights from Europsport from 2022* onwards.

*possibly 2024, I can't remember. 

Biggest win of his career so far?

Certainly in the basic statistic of it being the highest ranked player he has ever beaten, but the manner in which he did it too must make it close to his best performance never mind result. Didn't look flustered at any point, even when he went the break down.

Tiafoe is a set and a break up on Isner, Kyle's draw could open right up.

The higher ranked Lacko retired from his First Round match, so Edmund's next opponent will be Ernesto Escobedo who received a wild card.

Archived