Who are the best?

jimbaxters

Intriguing week ahead which sees Auchinleck Talbot and Beith clash twice in different competitions.

In my opinion, Beith are the strongest challengers to Talbot this year. They have grown in confidence steadily since the Scottish Cup win and now seem to be bossing most matches, or at least that's how it appears going by results. Arguably, both clubs eyes will be on the league title and Scottish Cup first and foremost, but these two matches are also special in that they are a semi final and a prestige match respectively.

Who will come out on top, will both matches be given similar focus by the coaches and will they set the tone for the season?

Wish I could be there!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard one to call for the managers of both clubs.

Do you,

A. Put maximum effort into the cup semi final on Wednesday as its a tournament you have a chance of winning.?

B. Put maximum effort in on Saturday as that's the match that can make you the most money?

Like yourself I will not be at the games due to work on Wednesday and a previous commitment on Saturday. Could see both games ending as draws which both teams will want to avoid as. A replay (Saturday's game) will play havoc with future fixtures. Obviously hoping for a Beith win in both games.

Too close to call imo.

I think Beith will win both,  1st game will be tight.  The prelim game i can see us winning 2 nil,  big crowd expected and in recent years our big games in front of a big crowd at Bellsdale we seem to rise to the occasion. 

Won't make the semi final.  But defo getting going on saturday.

11 minutes ago, beithboy said:

Do you,

A. Put maximum effort into the cup semi final on Wednesday as its a tournament you have a chance of winning.?

B. Put maximum effort in on Saturday as that's the match that can make you the most money?

Like yourself I will not be at the games due to work on Wednesday and a previous commitment on Saturday. Could see both games ending as draws which both teams will want to avoid as. A replay (Saturday's game) will play havoc with future fixtures. Obviously hoping for a Beith win in both games.

Too close to call imo.

C. put equal effort into both.

The next two games will be a big test for us. We've started the season really well, scoring loads of goals and not conceding many. We look dangerous and solid at the same time. But Talbot are the benchmark and it'll be interesting to see how we get on.

I think we might make a few changes for Weds night and expect Talbot probably will as well. Yes, it's a semi final with the chance of playing your rival in the Final, but Saturdays game could give you the opportunity to go on to make a lot of money.

Myself and a few others all said on Saturday that out of the league opener and the 2 games vs Talbot, Weds was the one we would choose to lose if there had to be one. Would obviously like to see us win both now and feel we have a squad capable of doing so even if we make changes. All of the games last season were close and I expect more of the same.

The ties are going to be tight but I just can't get away from the fact that Talbot always perform best when the challenge is at it's toughest. We've also seen so many pretenders to the "throne" come and go. Maybe Beith are hoping to be the new Talbot but they could end up like the new Hurlford, Irvine Meadow, Glenafton, Kilwinning Rangers............!

ETA:- There is a difference between Beith and the other clubs I mentioned in that they haven't been fed by a sugar daddy. Fair play to them.

36 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

The ties are going to be tight but I just can't get away from the fact that Talbot always perform best when the challenge is at it's toughest. We've also seen so many pretenders to the "throne" come and go. Maybe Beith are hoping to be the new Talbot but they could end up like the new Hurlford, Irvine Meadow, Glenafton, Kilwinning Rangers............!

ETA:- There is a difference between Beith and the other clubs I mentioned in that they haven't been fed by a sugar daddy. Fair play to them.

Beith have proven lately the big games we have at Bellsdale we win.  It's becoming a habit for the team and I am confident we will win on saturday.

Always enjoy trips to Bellsdale Park, and Saturday will be no different. Always enjoy these kind of games, home and away, bbecause it's such games that define where you are as a club. Don't know if there will be any difference in the odds given by the bookies for the Scottish Cup tie, but I can't see much difference myself. Will be an excellent crowd, and Talbot will certainly be well represented there, so nothing to fear in that respect. Think it could certainly go to a replay. Wednesday night game at Beechwood a totally different matter, and think either side could win by a couple of clear goals if the mental attitude is "I'm saving myself for Saturday"

Shame we have to lose one of the clubs before the competition proper starts, but at least there will be one top Ayrshire Club involved. Whoever that is I'll be rooting for them.

1 minute ago, TFW said:

Always enjoy trips to Bellsdale Park, and Saturday will be no different. Always enjoy these kind of games, home and away, bbecause it's such games that define where you are as a club. Don't know if there will be any difference in the odds given by the bookies for the Scottish Cup tie, but I can't see much difference myself. Will be an excellent crowd, and Talbot will certainly be well represented there, so nothing to fear in that respect. Think it could certainly go to a replay. Wednesday night game at Beechwood a totally different matter, and think either side could win by a couple of clear goals if the mental attitude is "I'm saving myself for Saturday"

Shame we have to lose one of the clubs before the competition proper starts, but at least there will be one top Ayrshire Club involved. Whoever that is I'll be rooting for them.

It is a shame 1 of us have to go out. Every year no matter who the Junior club is I want them to do well in this cup. The dream is to get that big prem team then it's mission accomplished.

I look forward to the game and love it when there's a packed out bellsdale

Last season we were defensively very vulnerable imo, but Tucker and Alan appear to have put a great deal of thought into this area and been really impressed with the signings.. so feeling a lot more confident. Nightmare that we drew each other as we get on so well but two different games imo with Saturday being the 'big one' and both learning a lot from Wednesday's game.

3 hours ago, beithboy said:

Do you,

Too close to call imo.

Do you honestly think that they aren't capable of putting 100% effort into both and coming out on top in both?  the idea of doing anything other than that is stupid, or in most cases just used as a get-out for when they don't win both - claiming that the real efforts were only focused on one thing.

Talbot remain the benchmark and I think we will be the underdogs in both games as Talbot seem to get written off as " a spent force " year after year yet they bounce back constantly and there they were hammering arthulie away from home on Saturday . 

I I think it's a real pity that we play one another on the Wednesday before the Scottish cup game on the Saturday however both clubs just need to get on with it , the game on Wednesday obviously sees Talbot at home where they're so strong so they will be favourites as our record isn't great down there , on Saturday the roles are reversed and we have home advantage and we've been really strong at home the last while , I still have us as underdogs in both games though due to talbots constant winning mentality that they've shown for decades now but  I'm sure we will relish both games for sure . 

Excellent thread this by the way and I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions . :) 

Do you honestly think that they aren't capable of putting 100% effort into both and coming out on top in both?  the idea of doing anything other than that is stupid, or in most cases just used as a get-out for when they don't win both - claiming that the real efforts were only focused on one thing.

I said nothing of them not being capable of performing in both games. It's simply a statement of which tie is the PRIORITY. League cup has been called in another thread "the diddy cup" a preseason tournament and has calls for it to be done away with. (not that I think it's a diddy cup, any cup win is good) so do you perhaps not put as much into the game incase of injuries suspensions etc. The game on Saturday is a bigger game financially, has more prestige. But at the same time it's an impossible cup for a Beith or a Talbot to win.

After the recent segregation I feel that the game at Bellsdale will be abandoned unless Beith make provisions that lets Geo1909 and Dipple Burn near the pie hut. If they can't get to the chicken and haggis pies their could be an altercation. I have seen these lads in action if there's no pies.

I disagree with my mate her hertha that beith are underdogs on Saturday as at bellsdale we are never underdogs to any junior side wh malcolm are beiths main sponsor but there are a lot of local people put money into beith in the former of sponsorship the guys on y he committee do a great job behind the scenes and are some of the hardest working guys in junior football a bit of jealousy saying beith are bankrolled the way you buffs meadow and hurlford are the plain truth is they are just a well run junior side that with the work of a great committee and management team have put together the best squad I've ever seen and in the last 7 year have won the ayrshire cup junior cup west of Scotland cup and the super league

Archived