Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What was the reasoning behind only adding a roof at one end? Was it a financial decision? It always seemed unfair that one club had cover and the other didn't on cup final day, especially the League Cup Final when it was in November as it was not uncommon for it to be raining.

Shhhh! You know what's coming :lol:

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Yes, was just about to post that.

It should be possible to narrow down the year further. It's post 1961 (floodlights) and pre 1976? (West Stand roof)... There was a serious fire at Hampden in the autumn of 1968 and it rings a vague bell that the Main Stand was slightly reconfigured afterwards - including an awning installed between the towers - but that might be wrong. Note 'prefabs' housing estate, too.

I was under the west terracing roof at the Czechoslovakia game in 1973 and  I'm also sure it was there on the 23rd of October 1971.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What was the reasoning behind only adding a roof at one end? Was it a financial decision? It always seemed unfair that one club had cover and the other didn't on cup final day, especially the League Cup Final when it was in November as it was not uncommon for it to be raining.

Economical and practical. If you look at the old pictures the east terracing is much bigger than the west.

No mention of Old Bayview yet?  I was at both East Fife v ICT games in Methil in 98-99 and remember fondly the first of the 2 getting played at the old ground, just before the new stadium opened.

A strike partnership of Duncan Shearer and a young Martin Bavidge that day, and I recall Shearer blazing over from about 10 yards in the first half.  The terracing was fairly steep behind the goal is I remember, and there was a wee drop at the top with bushes and trees and the bottom behind it, where Shearers shot ended up.  Pretty sure I cut my arm on the branches retrieving the ball.

We won 5-1 of course.

The away stand at Love St was ridiculously steep (saw it mentioned a few pages back but cba going back to quote). We nearly scored in a game there and one of our fans jumped up and ended up tumbling down a few rows and breaking his arm. 

Seem to remember the turnstile being away from the stand aswell. I know the away end of the main stand at Cappielow was a good bit away from the turnstile aswell but I was last there in 2009 so not sure if anythings changed or not. Firhill too for the stand behind the goal. Hampden for one of the ends behind the goal. Any other grounds that have turnstiles away from the stand rather than attached to it?

ETA: I'm thinking more along the lines of grounds with segregation. I know a lot of the lower league grounds where you can go where you want in the stadium have turnstiles away from the stand but on the terraces.

Edited by C. Muir

The stand at Love Street was very steep. It also had that huge set of stairs you had to climb to get to the top of her stand, only then to walk down the stairs again to get to your seat. If you had a seat near the front your calves got a good workout! 

Gayfield has turnstiles where you go in then can choose to go into the stand or go to the terrace. That you can still swap ends at half time adds to the charm. Cowdenbeath have two sets of turnstiles, both of which offer access to the terracing with a separate gate for the stand(s). Album Rovers has turnstiles at street level then there are a set of steps to hike up before you choose whether to go into the stand, go to the wee enclosure un front if it or stand on the new terrace.

17 hours ago, bud1876 said:

21eba7bb736c4e2e967fb592d1ba0744.jpg
fcbcd768d92ff10c1d5eb25aedf55711.jpg

What's with the pillars in the main stand at Parkhead?
No game on pillars are there for support seemingly.
Game on they dissappear

I posted a link to a video I took after a Saints game at Parkhead a couple of years ago early on in this thread and will post again.

These supports come down about 10 minutes after each game as the stewards check the seats.  

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I doubt the Main Stand at Dundee was built as an echelon to give people a better view. I'm not aware of another stand of the vintage which was built like that, in fact I struggle to think of many at all. It follows the line of the road behind. I would imagine this was done to maximise the paddock in front which before it was reconfigured for dog racing was a full terrace?

Its an Archibald Leitch stand and he often build "Cranked" stands as it does give a better view, you also get more seats. He built other stands like that at the same time at such as at Blackburn Rovers, where he "Cranked" the terrace as well behind the goals. If you look at the pictures of the old main stand at Hibs and Hampden they also had a smaller crank in them.

I'm interested to know if the road actually follows the shape of the stand rather than the other way around.  

13 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Its an Archibald Leitch stand and he often build "Cranked" stands as it does give a better view, you also get more seats. He built other stands like that at the same time at such as at Blackburn Rovers, where he "Cranked" the terrace as well behind the goals. If you look at the pictures of the old main stand at Hibs and Hampden they also had a smaller crank in them.

I'm interested to know if the road actually follows the shape of the stand rather than the other way around.  

The road came first according to this street plan although I can't find any photos to support that.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/78055330

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The road came first according to this street plan although I can't find any photos to support that.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/78055330

Superb, that's what I was looking for.

it then looks like the pitch was moved at some point as the crank in the stand is around the half way line now.

31 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Superb, that's what I was looking for.

it then looks like the pitch was moved at some point as the crank in the stand is around the half way line now.

The whole stadium was developed in 1919 when the stand was built and terracing wrapped around the three sides so yes I imagine the pitch was moved at that time.

2 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Talking of Dens and quirks, how many grounds in Scotland still have slopes? I'd have thought having a level playing pitch would be essential in the top divisions these days. 

Tannadice  certainly does sloping down to the east stand, obviously hibs famously has the slope. It might have been the drink but I thought Glebe park had a very pronounced slope uphill towards the stand end.

4 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Talking of Dens and quirks, how many grounds in Scotland still have slopes? I'd have thought having a level playing pitch would be essential in the top divisions these days. 

Our pitch was levelled off quite some time ago. I've no idea why pundits still go on about Dens' 'slope'.

Fir park has it I'm sure going from right to left looking from the away end.