Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I was at that game. Despite being the end of April it was so cold I bought a cup of "chicken" soup solely to warm my hands.

One of the few games I've ever left early. My old man decided it would be best if we got a head start on the throng of Hibs casuals who were growling at us from the Main Stand enclosure.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

• 1 month later...

A few images of East End Park from the early 1980's, a ground I loved visiting both before and after redevelopment, been over a decade since I've been at Dunfermline, be good to see them back in top flight again m

FB_IMG_1688237733822.jpg

FB_IMG_1688237729969.jpg

FB_IMG_1688237724359.jpg

Was at Tannadice for The Caley v Rangers in 1996 and was sat across from the old Fair Play enclosure. Can’t find a pic of it from the 90s but found this from what looks like the 80s.

image.thumb.jpeg.2faf0e1ed4a41f665ade16e7202dcb82.jpeg

Edited by TheScarf

29 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Still looks shit,  the fair play is an awful stand and should be Immediately removed from Scottish football. 

True but it's been the location of two epic away games at least for us. If it's full, you can make a hell of a lot of noise from there as opposed to miles behind the goal in that pishy wee stand. 

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

True but it's been the location of two epic away games at least for us. If it's full, you can make a hell of a lot of noise from there as opposed to miles behind the goal in that pishy wee stand. 

Miles behind the goal? 

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

The atmosphere in the shed is 100x what can be achieved in the fair play.   The shed has a fair amount of flaws, but it utterly fantastic for creating abit of noise.  Doesn't feel far from the goal either, the only grounds that applies too are those with running tracks.

13 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Miles behind the goal? 

An exaggeration, but in my mind it's quite a deep stand where the noise doesn't really get out very well? 

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

The atmosphere in the shed is 100x what can be achieved in the fair play.   The shed has a fair amount of flaws, but it utterly fantastic for creating abit of noise.  Doesn't feel far from the goal either, the only grounds that applies too are those with running tracks.

I really dislike the shed and I honestly don't think it projects the noise onto the pitch as much as the FairPlay does. 

I've only ever sat in the main stand and Fair Play stand at Tannadice and when you've got a big away support in the FP with a slight overflow into the main stand it's some noise when you score. Mind you, I'm mainly basing this on my team's two most recent visits to Dundee United and not the third most recent where they absolutely gubbed us, and deservedly so... I don't think I'll ever be afforded the opportunity to see a game as an away fan from the shed, but with a big crowd in a covered (former) terrace you can generate a hell of a lot of noise.

I was in it for the first time when Stirling Uni played United in the cup.

I enjoyed the atmosphere- probably helped by a couple of pre match pints with a mate and being surrounded by pished students

Dundee United’s layout has changed dramatically since the ‘70s when I first started going there. 

It is a complete clusterfcuk and mishmash of stadium design. 

Weird L shaped main stand bolted together to the Fair Play.
Home ends becoming away ends. Back in the ‘70s The Shed was a traditional home end - vibrant. Much prefer being in there than the Fair Play stand.

I always liked the corner advertising parts of that ground. Never seen it elsewhere in football. How many different sponsors used that? 

On 01/07/2023 at 20:01, Flybhoy said:

A few images of East End Park from the early 1980's, a ground I loved visiting both before and after redevelopment, been over a decade since I've been at Dunfermline, be good to see them back in top flight again m

FB_IMG_1688237733822.jpg

First visited EEP in the late 70's for a Sunday cup tie (novel back then), was impressed by the sweeping covered enclosure round behind the goals and up the side of the pitch - a cracking stadium.  Naturally, we lost the tie 1-0 with my hero John Dempster ballooning the ball over the bar from 6 yards when it was easier to score - ever thus ...

30 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

First visited EEP in the late 70's for a Sunday cup tie (novel back then), was impressed by the sweeping covered enclosure round behind the goals and up the side of the pitch - a cracking stadium.  Naturally, we lost the tie 1-0 with my hero John Dempster ballooning the ball over the bar from 6 yards when it was easier to score - ever thus ...

I know I'm biased but it really was a cracking venue. Open and covered terracing, a biggish main stand, wee enclosure, the cage section on halfway and the iconic steps from the dressing room to the pitch. It's still one of the better redeveloped grounds IMO but when it was in its terraced prime there was just something special about it, especially when we played Falkirk and Airdrieonians.