Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 26/08/2021 at 11:10, tamthebam said:

I read that in an early match under the lights at Ibrox the photographer behind the goals, unused to night matches, used his flash and put off a Gers striker from scoring.

The referee had to be held back from thumping him!

3 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Photographers used to be much more likely to be a bit "creative" when snapping photos. It was far from unusual for them to run on to the pitch and fire off their semi-explosive flashguns in the faces of players. The 1970 European Cup Final (Celtic v Feyenoord) was bad, but the worst I've seen (though others may know different) was the World Cup qualifier, West Germany v Scotland 1968. The photographers, and fans, backroom staff, various other lunatics, are all over the place. There is Youtube video of it. Mental.

On 26/08/2021 at 13:26, Steve Finan said:

It is Somerset, Ayr v Rangers September 13th, 1969. The biggest ever crowd in the ground.
And, as these pix demonstrate, there were many more inside than the official figure tells. I have several more photos of the crowds at the game that have gone into the book. The Somerset Park chapter runs to 10 pages.
Some of the bigger chapters are 30+ pages.
I've tried to give extra attention to grounds that no longer exist (or are no longer used). Cathkin Park gets 14 pages, Love Street 16, Brockville 8. Indeed, one of my favourite pix of (and there are about 700 in total over the two books) is a wide panorama of a packed Brockville.
But there are also chapters on floodlights, player tunnels, dugouts, outside grounds, weather, other events in football grounds, segregation divides, and "Things you don't see at football any more" which boost the number of photos from each ground.
I have 20 pages of never-before-seen pix of the Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt game at a packed Hampden.
Some great stuff, I promise you.
I humbly suggest you take a look.

SOLD

14 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Interested to read Leanne Crichton's in depth analysis and memories of Scottish football venues from the 40's to 80's. 🤔

That's a good point Ranaldo.

After getting Scottish football's most venerable, most experienced, "auld heid" (Craig Brown) to do the intro for Volume 2, and he does a great job too — and Chick Young giving the journo's take for Volume 1 – I needed something different for Volume 3 rather than just have another experienced viewpoint.
Leanne is a very intelligent person and grasped immediately what I was trying to do. She gives the "young football person's" take on the history of being a supporter. She talks about having heard the legends of the old grounds, and still being able to see (behind the shiny plastic) some of the remnants of the terrace steps and the corrugated iron roofs. And she explores what the history of a club means to a younger person, how they relate to it, and talks of the photos being like the photos your granny had of ancestors — people you didn't actually know, but that you do know you shared a bond with.
Leanne is, as I've said, intelligent, but more than that has an emotional intelligence that she brings to this.
In discussions with my publisher over this 99% of the people suggested to do an intro were ex players. And I could have got a big name, a vastly experienced international "great" to do this. But players don't experience going to a football match in the same way a supporter does. 

Another taster for the book (though this pic isn't in it either) a penny dainty to anyone who can identify ground and player.
Remember when terraces were like this?

Dainty.jpg

2 hours ago, Steve Finan said:

Another taster for the book (though this pic isn't in it either) a penny dainty to anyone who can identify ground and player.

Well before my time, so i'll take an absolute punt on a young Jim McLean at Dens Park.

49 minutes ago, Elric said:

Have looked on Amazon and can only see Volume 1 for sale. Where can all 3 volumes be purchased?

Volumes 2 and 3 won't be published until the first week of November (2021). 
You can pre-order both volumes at: 
https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/books/non-fiction/football-books
Though why only Volume 2 is there at the moment, I haven't got a freakin clue! I am about to send off a moany-as-feck email asking some hard questions!!!!

Don't order yet, though. I'm told there will be a discount of at least a fiver if both Vol 2 and Vol 3 are ordered together. Should be fixed on the website for the end of the week.
Free P&P too.

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 15.13.27.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

Who says '3G cages' can't be pretty. Home of Mallaig currently playing in the Skye & Lochalsh William Wilson League.

DSCF8208.JPG
DSCF8243.JPG
DSCF8232.JPG

Pictures nabbed from the excellent Steve B Groundhopper blog.

I know there was a discussed about pitch width somewhere on the forum, that looks tight.

• 1 month later...

As quirks go, a paddling pool sunk into the Ibrox pitch is quite hard to beat!

Turnstiles Vols 2 and 3 are out now guys. And you can get both books — large format hardbacks, 360 pages each, 700 never-before-seen pix of Scottish football grounds — for less than £30 with this  offer. Free p&p. Roll up, roll up . . . (and other salesman-type talk that I'm not very comfortable with)
Enter code SPORT15 for 15% off (until November 14th

152625335_Ibrox1958.thumb.jpg.ed9df67a89aae1da6b252f8a0f8d36e4.jpg

5 hours ago, Steve Finan said:

As quirks go, a paddling pool sunk into the Ibrox pitch is quite hard to beat!

Turnstiles Vols 2 and 3 are out now guys. And you can get both books — large format hardbacks, 360 pages each, 700 never-before-seen pix of Scottish football grounds — for less than £30 with this  offer. Free p&p. Roll up, roll up . . . (and other salesman-type talk that I'm not very comfortable with)
Enter code SPORT15 for 15% off (until November 14th

152625335_Ibrox1958.thumb.jpg.ed9df67a89aae1da6b252f8a0f8d36e4.jpg

A time when clubs were much more innovative than now, unless its hibs big cryptocon.

I can only assume it was put in as part of some sort of cool down after training?

What's great about the amount of videos and photos around the game now, is that in years to come, folk will look back and be able to see the odd approaches to some stuff in recent years, like the exercise bikes at dugouts, 1 and 2g plastic pitches, the refs behind goals, players lying down behind the defending wall etc. 

Edited by Theyellowbox