Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

4 hours ago, Steve Finan said:

To be published in early November.
720 pages (two hardback books, 360 pages each) of never-before-seen photos of old Scottish football grounds. Mostly 1940s to 80s. Every club in the country is covered. 
Three years in the making, An awful lot of searching through old negatives in newspaper and magazine archives.
I've never enjoyed a project so much in my entire life.

LOTT2 lo.jpg

LOTT3lo.jpg

Will buy both of them when they go on sale. Enjoyed the first one. 

9 hours ago, ftk said:
11 hours ago, Steve Finan said:
720 pages (two hardback books, 360 pages each) of never-before-seen photos of old Scottish football grounds. Mostly 1940s to 80s. Every club in the country is covered. 
Three years in the making, An awful lot of searching through old negatives in newspaper and magazine archives.
500030068_LOTT2lo.thumb.jpg.b0d6d27c0dbc89a5551202429e0b12d8.jpg
LOTT3lo.thumb.jpg.7f0dd6d415bf04d54d49cb58be349219.jpg

Pretty sure the bottom picture is Somerset Park.

I thought it might be Brockville?

It is Somerset, Ayr v Rangers September 13th, 1969. The biggest ever crowd in the ground.
And, as these pix demonstrate, there were many more inside than the official figure tells. I have several more photos of the crowds at the game that have gone into the book. The Somerset Park chapter runs to 10 pages.
Some of the bigger chapters are 30+ pages.
I've tried to give extra attention to grounds that no longer exist (or are no longer used). Cathkin Park gets 14 pages, Love Street 16, Brockville 8. Indeed, one of my favourite pix of (and there are about 700 in total over the two books) is a wide panorama of a packed Brockville.
But there are also chapters on floodlights, player tunnels, dugouts, outside grounds, weather, other events in football grounds, segregation divides, and "Things you don't see at football any more" which boost the number of photos from each ground.
I have 20 pages of never-before-seen pix of the Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt game at a packed Hampden.
Some great stuff, I promise you.
I humbly suggest you take a look.

Some sample pix.
Ibrox floodlights 1967, view from Pittodrie's Paddock End 1969, trouble at the Easter Road cow shed 1971.
All half-decent pix, but not good enough to get into the book.
I have a very rare pic of the first floodlights set-up at Ibrox, though. Quite spindly, and a small pylon at the Copland Road End. Very innovative for the time.

Brox.jpg

1969.jpg

Hibs 71.jpg

18 minutes ago, Steve Finan said:

It is Somerset, Ayr v Rangers September 13th, 1969. The biggest ever crowd in the ground.

I was there, sitting on the track like all the other young lads. 25225 I believe.

Enjoyed the first book, especially since I never paid for it 😉 But will get the others.

Edited by The Mantis

Guest TheJTS98
17 hours ago, Steve Finan said:

LOTT2 lo.jpg

LOTT3lo.jpg

Just wanted to let you know that a mate of mine lent me the first version of this a while back and I really enjoyed it.

So, whenever you started this project, it led to a couple of Hearts supporters sitting in a pub in Malaysia talking about East End Park and Fir Park for hours.

Absolutely excellent.

38 minutes ago, Steve Finan said:

Some sample pix.
Ibrox floodlights 1967, view from Pittodrie's Paddock End 1969, trouble at the Easter Road cow shed 1971.
All half-decent pix, but not good enough to get into the book.
I have a very rare pic of the first floodlights set-up at Ibrox, though. Quite spindly, and a small pylon at the Copland Road End. Very innovative for the time.

Brox.jpg

1969.jpg

Hibs 71.jpg

Those the ones purchased from Rangers by St. Mirren

St Mirren Park (Love Street)

and here's one of them at Ibrox

2n857ko.jpg

Another of those floodlights at Love Street. First used on Friday 13th February 1959 in a 10-0 Scottish Cup win over Peebles Rovers. this pic is from the 78/79 season. They were replaced by 4 tall pylons (you can see one in front of the old pylon), these in turn sold to Morton when Love Street was being demolished.

IMG_20181030_221126.jpg

Edited by Arch Stanton

I read that in an early match under the lights at Ibrox the photographer behind the goals, unused to night matches, used his flash and put off a Gers striker from scoring.

The Rangers manager had to be held back from thumping him!

15 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Mr. Finan, fit wye can I get ahold of all 3 books here in ‘murca?

The first one is on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Lifted-Over-Turnstiles-Scotlands-Football/dp/1845357191/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=lifted+turnstiles&qid=1630155866&sr=8-1

I assume vols 2 and 3 will be available upon publication.

On 26/08/2021 at 13:26, Steve Finan said:

And, as these pix demonstrate, there were many more inside than the official figure tells. I have several more photos of the crowds at the game that have gone into the book. The Somerset Park chapter runs to 10 pages.
Some of the bigger chapters are 30+ pages.
I've tried to give extra attention to grounds that no longer exist (or are no longer used). Cathkin Park gets 14 pages, Love Street 16, Brockville 8. Indeed, one of my favourite pix of (and there are about 700 in total over the two books) is a wide panorama of a packed Brockville.
But there are also chapters on floodlights, player tunnels, dugouts, outside grounds, weather, other events in football grounds, segregation divides, and "Things you don't see at football any more" which boost the number of photos from each ground.
I have 20 pages of never-before-seen pix of the Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt game at a packed Hampden.
Some great stuff, I promise you.
I humbly suggest you take a look.

Got the last 2 for a Xmas gift to myself so will look out for these ones.

On 25/08/2021 at 20:56, Steve Finan said:

LOTT2 lo.jpg

LOTT3lo.jpg

@Specky Ginger @embow @Scottydog