Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Aye the new shed is only about the width of the box. Think that was erected around 2007/2008. The old one that came down around 2004 ran the full length of the Benula Road end.

Edit - 

4B4AE2BB-66FF-46B1-809F-CC1C01452A56.jpeg

Edited by TheScarf

The Harmsworth has to be the best ever ground for absolute vitriol from supporters being easily, clearly heard by the players, managers etc.
And I’ve been to many HFL grounds!

I think what made it better was the glorious Caithness accent/dialect (remember I’m a teenabowlie, so this is meant with love)

8 hours ago, Snafu said:

Don't know if this has been covered yet on here but is there still grounds around Scotland with houses that have a full or partial view of the pitch?

Can't think of any in the Premiership as the stands would block a view and a lot of the newer stadiums are built away from housing estates now a days.

Below, Grant Street Park home of Clachnacuddin showing the hospitality boxes running both sides of the pitch.

image.jpeg.1cc4a161d651b47b1ba9cd71d0b089d6.jpeg

Station Park, Nairn

Nairn - Station Park 30-08-2008 | Station Park, the home gro… | Flickr

You'd probably have to be a Russian oligarch to afford a hoose in Edinburgh but these flats give you an additional bonus free view of the MIGHTY City and the not so mighty Spartans.

IMG_20191123_150555372.thumb.jpg.c18f29755a98ae8bfccac0f03b0e76ed.jpg

15 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I’ve just found a photo I took back in the day watching Caley. I’m on the Shetland ferry just now and the WiFi is shit so I can’t see your vid but I’ll try posting the photo.

A73A5F95-6952-4F4B-B34A-D5F56B17F32C.thumb.jpeg.a58f7081bbf01db14f06963099d6da0a.jpeg

Brilliant.

I played at Telford Street in youth league cup finals a couple of times, and at Grant Street once. I would estimate about 1987 or 88.

I was playing RB and remember tackling a boy and catching the ball perfectly so it smacked into the ad boards on the wall in the foreground and rebounded satisfyingly back into the pitch.

Was the highlight of my match tbh as we got pumped.

Sadly never got to play on the hallowed Kingsmills turf.

On the subject of stadiums where houses still have a view of the pitch ....

Here's a photo of the Terregles Street end at Palmerston from a home match with the Jambos in 2014.  The big sandstone house always had good views, but the house to the left extended a window upwards to get a view!

Great to see that terrace in use again even if only occasionally for the big away supports nowadays.  That crowd was around the 5,500 mark but I remember a Hertz cup tie back in 1974 when we had 14,000 in the ground (and around 10,000 of them were from Gorgie!).  It was cosy to say the least.  Got into the ground early around 2 pm and the covered Portland Road terrace was a sea of maroon and bouncing, great atmosphere, great memories.  Lost 0-2 mind.

38522343_TStreetcrop.thumb.jpg.8acf0a491a6d821cffb8946768b1fa91.jpg

I have a small yearning for stadiums to have different/quirky goal styles as well as terrace/seating. San Siro, Hampden, Goodison and Tynecastle below, I am sure Brockville was a bit different too. That anticipation of seeing something new and different as you climbed the stairs on your first visit  as a kid has gone now

Almost everywhere now has the same square box for goals and square box of seats.

Aberdeen FC | 1970 | THE FINAL STORYimage.jpeg.ad64f3f0bb5ae175b5490cb5192f6a3a.jpegMilanInter, derbies of the '60s and '70s | NewsMike Royden of Mike Royden's Local History Pages - Everton F.C. Nostalgia  Pages - 1980s

10 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I have a small yearning for stadiums to have different/quirky goal styles as well as terrace/seating. San Siro, Hampden, Goodison and Tynecastle below, I am sure Brockville was a bit different too. That anticipation of seeing something new and different as you climbed the stairs on your first visit  as a kid has gone now

Almost everywhere now has the same square box for goals and square box of seats.

Aberdeen FC | 1970 | THE FINAL STORYimage.jpeg.ad64f3f0bb5ae175b5490cb5192f6a3a.jpegMilanInter, derbies of the '60s and '70s | NewsMike Royden of Mike Royden's Local History Pages - Everton F.C. Nostalgia  Pages - 1980s

article-2257176-16C0DA56000005DC-612_468

QPR.

Eta, I think that's West Ham, both had narrow space behind the goals.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

I wonder which ground was the last to lose its square posts? I'm sure Cliftonhill had a set in the late 80s.

The SPFL no longer wanted the triangle backs after Les Mottram missed that goal at Thistle. 

I had a mate who was a season book holder at Cliftonhill and they had Italian type netting in 1995

7 hours ago, MacGafraidh said:

The SPFL no longer wanted the triangle backs after Les Mottram missed that goal at Thistle. 

I had a mate who was a season book holder at Cliftonhill and they had Italian type netting in 1995

The SPFL are time travelers?