Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Based on the middle picture, it will be the beginning of 1991/92, following our cup win. That was when the East Stand was converted from terracing to seating. 

The South Stand (away end) we have now was open early '93 and the Davie Cooper stand opened in '95. 

12 hours ago, RawB93 said:

My first ever game I remember attending was in the terrace behind the goals at Fir Park with my Motherwell supporting cousin. I remember there being a big "keep ciggarettes away from the stand" sign (or similar) to my left. Any photos of this? 

This picture was obviously taken a few years after your first game but it was along the stand for many years. 

250px-Firparkeaststand.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:57, Desp said:

Based on the middle picture, it will be the beginning of 1991/92, following our cup win. That was when the East Stand was converted from terracing to seating. 

The South Stand (away end) we have now was open early '93 and the Davie Cooper stand opened in '95. 

I mind going to a 2-2 draw fairly early in the 93-94 season and being in the South Stand - must have been one of the first gmaes it was open or did it open in the 92-93 season?

11 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I mind going to a 2-2 draw fairly early in the 93-94 season and being in the South Stand - must have been one of the first gmaes it was open or did it open in the 92-93 season?

Happy to be corrected (was fairly young at the time) but I'm pretty sure the first game it was opened was a Scottish Cup game at home to Rangers in January 1993. 

I believe we actually played Kilmarnock the first time the Cooper stand was open to 'Well fans.  Would have been around the Autumn of '95 and (I think?) we won 3-0. 

22 hours ago, Desp said:

Happy to be corrected (was fairly young at the time) but I'm pretty sure the first game it was opened was a Scottish Cup game at home to Rangers in January 1993. 

I believe we actually played Kilmarnock the first time the Cooper stand was open to 'Well fans.  Would have been around the Autumn of '95 and (I think?) we won 3-0. 

I mind going to a game when the Cooper was still being bult and we lost 3-2.

Funny how you can remember games that far back but can barely remember games last month!

Another Hampden picture, the 1969 Scottish Cup Final, check out the size of that crowd.

Easy to forget that, for years Hampden was the envy of the world, mainly due to the vast crowds it could accommodate, as opposed to the fucking embarrassment of a national stadium it is now. 

FB_IMG_1571477267380.jpg

2 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Another Hampden picture, the 1969 Scottish Cup Final, check out the size of that crowd.

Easy to forget that, for years Hampden was the envy of the world, mainly due to the vast crowds it could accommodate, as opposed to the fucking embarrassment of a national stadium it is now. 

FB_IMG_1571477267380.jpg

Indeed.

I think it still holds all the European attendance records.

Definitely not 1969. Look at the Rangers top and socks.

FB_IMG_1571477267380.jpg.e958d33131fa198d305d9e6d39e4aa41.jpg

53 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Definitely not 1969. Look at the Rangers top and socks.

Baxter is 6 and the ref looks like Tiny Wharton. Before my time but I’d guess it’s 1963 which was 1-1 followed by a replay, 3-0 to the Gers. I think 68-9 was the year Rangers started the plain blue crew neck with the crest on the left tit.

Edited by The Mantis

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Baxter is 6 and the ref looks like Tiny Wharton. Before my time but I’d guess it’s 1963 which was 1-1 followed by a replay, 3-0 to the Gers. I think 68-9 was the year Rangers started the plain blue crew neck with the crest on the left tit.

I think you're right. Looks like it's the first game as iirc Jinky didn't play in the replay and that's him just outside the 6 yard box.

13 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1571477267380.jpg

To be fair when Hampden was getting crowds like this it was absolute dump. I remember coming home from games and being filthy up to my knees due to the mud heap outside and the ash terraces inside. Doesn't excuse the abortion they made of the redevelopment 

6 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

To be fair when Hampden was getting crowds like this it was absolute dump. I remember coming home from games and being filthy up to my knees due to the mud heap outside and the ash terraces inside. Doesn't excuse the abortion they made of the redevelopment 

Don't forget the stream of pish running down the terracing because it was almost impossible to move from where you were standing. 

hampden always was a craphole like many scottish grounds, pre taylor report there was only cover at 1 end, you got drookit, the old north stand has very little in the way of emergency evacuation and it was a wooden floor (okay the rubbish fell far enough away so not to cause an issue if there has been a dropped cig like bradford) toilets and food--dont be daft, crushing was part of the game and you could see near as dammit feck all..... but it had the atmosphere, the roar of the crowd... perhaps we are all softies nowadays with all seater grounds, food stalls and toilets you can even have a shite in if required

It's definitely 1963 cup final played in front of a handful under130,000 but still 5,000 short of capacity at the time. Rangers players fairly easy to identify. Ritchie is the goalie. Full backs on the line are Shearer and Provan. Midfielders in the box are Greig, McKinnon and Baxter. Standing on the 18 yard line are Henderson and Brand. Celtic players are less easy to identify but I'll have a go. At corner flag is Brogan. Wee guy nearest line may be Divers. Big guy in middle I'm sure is John Hughes. Obviously Jimmy Johnstone is standing at front of six yard box and hanging around the 18 yard line is Bobby Murdoch.

Hampden was certainly a dump but it was our dump and had a unique atmosphere that today's squeaky clean stadia can never hope to emulate. So glad I experienced it many times before they ripped the soul out the place.