Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

that stand at dam park is a listed building yet the leitch designed stand at somerset park isnt.... suppose the weathered grey concrete gives it character, unlike the roof which in the event of any wind with the rain is bloody useless
Are you sure its listed? I heard it was getting demolished for the new rugby stadium. Maybe they will incorporate the old stand somehow?

14 minutes ago, ftk said:
1 hour ago, wintonfan said:
that stand at dam park is a listed building yet the leitch designed stand at somerset park isnt.... suppose the weathered grey concrete gives it character, unlike the roof which in the event of any wind with the rain is bloody useless

Are you sure its listed? I heard it was getting demolished for the new rugby stadium. Maybe they will incorporate the old stand somehow?

Aye, B listed. Found this description on the web.

Screenshot_20190628-205232_Samsung Internet.jpg

Grangemouth stadium in er.... Grangemouth has a similar white elephant feel to it.

Apparently East Stirlingshire wanted to move in there and partially upgrade when they left Firs Park and were still a Scottish League side, never came to fruition though, never could quite fathom the logic in building an athletics stadium in fucking Grangemouth of all places, almost never gets used although it does add to the 'Communist 1960's East Germany' feel to the town....

....only time I ever recall being there was for a rally during the miners strike in 1984 as a seven year old, random useless fact for you all.

CHSjlX_WsAAo7mx.jpg

36427672_ozkA4Vz6jCkWYiXIkMnSWT-LRTgMXu91NBMyNMgE2rU.jpg

glenrothes02.jpg&key=0804645e9d5b807331635df01f929819f96002bab40a716c369ae6e39cdabc0a

glenrothes01.jpg&key=890b00a6c597f74fe745fd1b4c484db5d26f0e89098e434d75e367145f5433c2

Stand at Warout Stadium home of EOS club Glenrothes is a delightful piece of new town brutalism

Took an U18 side through the Fife league a few years ago to the final deciding match at Warout.
In torrential rain we were 5-1 down at half time. Came back to 5-5 and lost to an o.g. in extra time.
Not great memories, tbh.

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Grangemouth stadium in er.... Grangemouth has a similar white elephant feel to it.

Apparently East Stirlingshire wanted to move in there and partially upgrade when they left Firs Park and were still a Scottish League side, never came to fruition though, never could quite fathom the logic in building an athletics stadium in fucking Grangemouth of all places, almost never gets used although it does add to the 'Communist 1960's East Germany' feel to the town....

....only time I ever recall being there was for a rally during the miners strike in 1984 as a seven year old, random useless fact for you all.

CHSjlX_WsAAo7mx.jpg

36427672_ozkA4Vz6jCkWYiXIkMnSWT-LRTgMXu91NBMyNMgE2rU.jpg

I saw us play Lvi there pre season about 5 or 6 years ago.

CHSjlX_WsAAo7mx.jpg.a70ac17ace2187c53ce8e5b1c22bef3e.jpg
36427672_ozkA4Vz6jCkWYiXIkMnSWT-LRTgMXu91NBMyNMgE2rU.jpg.9c89f204c04f95d0a2312c03fc58171e.jpg
Falkirk Juniors were using it during their brief spell in the east juniors (2011-2016). Another club tried to use it for this season but there was issues with acess due to the athletics season running along side the football season.

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I thought they stopped sending kids down the mines in the 19th century?

36427672_ozkA4Vz6jCkWYiXIkMnSWT-LRTgMXu91NBMyNMgE2rU.jpg.9c89f204c04f95d0a2312c03fc58171e.jpg
Saw Saints play Shire there in a friendly a good few years back. Strange place to watch football.

21 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

almost never gets used ... there are 41 separate Scottish Athletics events that use Grangemouth Stadium, and that doesn't include the various school competitions that get hosted there or the clubs that use it for training throughout the week.  It'll be used more than Celtic Park is used over the course of a season.   

101634036_grangemouthstadium6.thumb.jpg.f28f73ad6785b155fc14be9bee44e1a6.jpg

932034770_grangemouthstadium7.thumb.jpg.a6607d62af39e3e544d0104ff9673650.jpg

I've seen 3 different teams play there- Meadowbank Thistle (v Stenny in a PSF), Edinburgh City (v Airdrie in a PSF) and Falkirk Juniors. Bizarrely enough I also saw Pumpherston Juniors score 10 (TEN) goals against Falkirk Juniors there..! 
The strange quirk about Grangemouth is the lights are mounted under the roof instead of on top. And they're a funny colour. (photo is Falkirk Juniors v Dunbar United)

I felt sorry for Falkirk Juniors- I think they were a vanity project for someone who got involved with an amateur team but they were fairly friendly and had some good volunteers. No-one went to watch them though. 

On 27/06/2019 at 19:20, GNU_Linux said:

glenrothes02.jpg

glenrothes01.jpg

Stand at Warout Stadium home of EOS club Glenrothes is a delightful piece of new town brutalism

The pies at Warout are quite nice. That's an important fact! 

I doubt they do much athletics there now as the track seems to have been allowed to moulder away. So it's an athletics stadium that's now primarily a football ground! 

glens6.thumb.jpg.0a4e377b579beb7aa0388f1647837d92.jpg

A message for Sandy from Danny.... 

almost never gets used ... there are 41 separate Scottish Athletics events that use Grangemouth Stadium, and that doesn't include the various school competitions that get hosted there or the clubs that use it for training throughout the week.  It'll be used more than Celtic Park is used over the course of a season.   

Telt

12 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Stolen from the Brechin thread.

Not so much a quirk but a work of art at Glebe park.

8accef06-e0dc-4b02-8a0c-daec941403e3.thumb.jpg.c98f6df853e26e64c2cd34bb954d0eba.jpg

I remember standing behind the goal at the bottom of the picture singing (to the tune of a Frankie Goes to Hollywood classic) "We're all off our heads - Welcome to the Brechin shed!"

(And anybody who replies "Embarrassing admissions thread for this pish" can GTF.)

Edited by GordonD

Glebe Park is superb. There are quirks all over the place, from the very narrow sidelines and the biggest stand being essentially at the away end to the old Main Stand with glass side screens and the changing room building next door. Add in the cranked terracing cover and the hedge and you have an all time classic.

I saw Stanley Matthews play there.