Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The old pavillion at Lochee Harp's Beechwood Park which was where I used to go when united were away.

Sadly demolished about a year ago

locheeharp07.png

Demolished or fell down all by itself???

harp1.thumb.jpg.1a4cfa6f5a9dab1a1ab79aa589c7bebb.jpg

harp7.thumb.jpg.b3cd73a5dd67e875794a0bc1aa215b95.jpg

harp8.thumb.jpg.02c0e115ddd7bc2fcf301471f27608da.jpg

A mate said to me one sunny day a couple of years ago "Let's go somewhere daft". So we went to see the last game of the season at Harp. I'm glad I saw the place before it disappeared- it had a sort of ramshackle charm. 

harp1.thumb.jpg.1a4cfa6f5a9dab1a1ab79aa589c7bebb.jpg

harp7.thumb.jpg.b3cd73a5dd67e875794a0bc1aa215b95.jpg

harp8.thumb.jpg.02c0e115ddd7bc2fcf301471f27608da.jpg

A mate said to me one sunny day a couple of years ago "Let's go somewhere daft". So we went to see the last game of the season at Harp. I'm glad I saw the place before it disappeared- it had a sort of ramshackle charm. 

I remember going to see primary school football Cup finals in there when i was at St. Peter and Paul's in the 70s. Like a swarm of bees chasing the ball around.

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

80 years ago today Archibald Leitch died - his name should be familiar to all football fans who (if you'll pardon the expression) know their history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48028660

He designed the main stand at Somerset park which still stands and probably will still be standing in another 100 years. 

80 years ago today Archibald Leitch died - his name should be familiar to all football fans who (if you'll pardon the expression) know their history.

Leitch's career is interesting, he build some cracking stands but he mainly made his career building boring identikit stadiums. Wonder what people will be saying of bill Barr in 100 years?

He designed the main stand at Somerset park which still stands and probably will still be standing in another 100 years. 

As seen here.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Leitch's career is interesting, he build some cracking stands but he mainly made his career building boring identikit stadiums. Wonder what people will be saying of bill Barr in 100 years?

He was clearly tripping when he designed the main stand for Starks Park.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

That he was a vicious, manipulating old cünt.

He was clearly tripping when he designed the main stand for Starks Park.

Leitch- Right lads, so you want a stand?

Rovers board- Aye we were thinking along 1 touch line, you we can sit and view the game from a central point

Leitch- whit he on about boys, surely the corner flag is better

Rovers board- ??? Maybe behind the goals?

Leitch- how about i build a stand behind the goals and along 1 touch line.

Rovers board- sounds expensive

Leitch- Dinnie worry I've got something up my sleeve to do it for the price of a normal stand.

6 months later....

f**k? Guess we're stuck with that

16 hours ago, GordonD said:

So how’s it working out Erchie?

Aye no bad, had a wee accident with the Ibrox gig but hey ho these things happen.

Wee accident?

Well 25 deed and hundreds injured, no biggy.

Top man Erchie, they’ll be still talking about you in a 120 years time.

Thanks brother.

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

So how’s it working out Erchie?

Aye no bad, had a wee accident with the Ibrox gig but hey ho these things happen.

Wee accident?

Well 25 deed and hundreds injured, no biggy.

Ah, they were only **** anyway, Erchie.

No, man, it was a Scotland game.

So no Firm* fans involved at all then? Erchie, that's a sair yin.

*1902 - they're not Old yet

That same year he was commissioned to design a new stadium for Rangers, the club he supported...

Timber merchant Alexander MacDougall was the man who carried the can despite the presiding judge feeling he was perhaps a scapegoat.

Mr Inglis says: "There was evidence that Leitch had approved the use of yellow pine in order to get the job done...

Despite Leitch escaping criminal prosecution, he was still in danger of losing his career.

Mr Inglis says the architect wrote a letter to Rangers begging them to re-employ him instead of one of his rivals.

He says: "Leitch writes to Rangers and basically says 'if you sack me then you will effectively be saying that I am guilty'."...

Mr Inglis says Leitch was a charismatic man and a good salesman who was determined to clear his name after the disaster.

Leitch, a prominent Protestant church-goer and freemason, eventually persuaded Rangers to give him another chance.

Ooft. From hero to c**t. 

Even by that vile organisation's standards that is some protection of one of their own after he helped cause 25 deaths.  Just when you thought you couldn't hate any of the Rangers clubs more deeply that you do.

What a magnificent casual condemnation of the whole corrupt cabal by Steven Brocklehurst  though, the way he just slips the highlighted sentence into the article.  Obviously he doesn't see a long term future with BBC Scotland.

Edited by 7-2

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

That same year he was commissioned to design a new stadium for Rangers, the club he supported...

Timber merchant Alexander MacDougall was the man who carried the can despite the presiding judge feeling he was perhaps a scapegoat.

Mr Inglis says: "There was evidence that Leitch had approved the use of yellow pine in order to get the job done...

Despite Leitch escaping criminal prosecution, he was still in danger of losing his career.

Mr Inglis says the architect wrote a letter to Rangers begging them to re-employ him instead of one of his rivals.

He says: "Leitch writes to Rangers and basically says 'if you sack me then you will effectively be saying that I am guilty'."...

Mr Inglis says Leitch was a charismatic man and a good salesman who was determined to clear his name after the disaster.

Leitch, a prominent Protestant church-goer and freemason, eventually persuaded Rangers to give him another chance.

Ooft. From hero to c**t. 

Even by that vile organisation's standards that is some protection of one of their own after he helped cause 25 deaths.  Just when you thought you couldn't hate any of the Rangers clubs more deeply that you do.

What a magnificent casual condemnation of the whole corrupt cabal by Steven Brocklehurst  though, the way he just slips the highlighted sentence into the article.  Obviously he doesn't see a long term future with BBC Scotland.

The name Archibald Leitch crops up as soon as you take an interest in football stadium architecture. You couldn’t fail to be impressed by the work he carried out. Even although somebody like me who chatted away to my elders who in turn saw the likes of  McGrory/Morton/Patsy Gallagher/Thomson etc playing 80/100 years ago, along with a faint mention from them of an earlier Ibrox disaster, i never quite made the link to Archibald Leitch. And along comes the internet to bring the story to life. Btw it was only recently I found out our Erchie came from the Gallowgate.

Edited by Glenconner

Talking of Leitch's designs, what would folk say are the more iconic stands at Scottish football grounds?  I can't really think of many that are strikingly impressive as you see elsewhere.

The main stand at Ibrox with the 3 tiers, the north stand at Celtic for the scale. Main stands at tannadice and Starks park for being a bit weird in design, in a half the side and round the corner style.  Palmerston behind the goal for being the largest 'stand' of terracing in Scottish football.  As much as I disliked new Douglas for a long time initially, I've warmed to the weird look of those stands. At least something different from the identikit new stands we see at McDiarmid, Broadwood, Airdrie, Dens, St Mirren etc etc Also as good a view from behind the goal as you'll  get being high up but relatively close to the pitch. Only having two is a big negative obviously.

I've always liked that side of terracing at Cliftonhill, and wish they'd get it up to scratch so it could be used. Of the newer stands, Falkirk's main stand looks decent, whereas the big stand at Fir Park and the RDS at Pittodrie just look out of scale monstrosities.

8 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Despite being too big for us, I've always though RP had a bit of character for a new built stadium.

Image result for rugby park

Related image

It does look quite tidy, but I've never been too keen due to the dreadful lack of leg room between seats, and it's far too big for what's required as you mentioned.  I wouldn't say any of the stands are particularly impressive.

The thing which probably makes it look better than McDiarmid, is our shocking seat colouring.  I think the all blue at RP looks far tidier. 

Edited by PauloPerth