Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

5 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Probably a wise move on corporation's behalf, you lot had previous on that sort of thing ;)...

Saturday 21st August 1909

1909082101.jpg

Thursday 2nd September 1909

1909090203.jpg

Friday 17th September 1909

1909091701.jpg

Sounds like they did us over? :(

Semi-related - anyone have a picture of Dundee's original ground, romantically-named Carolina Port?

Apparently squeezed between the harbour and a burning shale heap.

East End, one of the leading Dundee clubs, were based at Carolina Port from 1891. When they merged with local rivals Our Boys to form Dundee F.C. in 1893, it was generally assumed that the new club — which had immediately secured election to the Scottish Football League — would base themselves at Carolina Port, which was the most developed ground in Dundee at that time. They were, however, surprisingly beaten to the punch by a comparatively modest local outfit, Strathmore, who secured the lease for themselves. As a result, Dundee began their campaign in the less imposing surroundings of Our Boys' former home, West Craigie Park. Strathmore's audacious move failed to pay off, and within a year they had merged with Johnstone Wanderers to form Dundee Wanderers, playing at Clepington Park. This left Carolina Port available for Dundee to move in midway through their debut season.

Having now become a regular venue for matches in Scotland's top flight, Carolina Port's prestige was further enhanced on 21 March 1896 when it hosted the Home International fixture between Scotland and Wales.[1] Two Dundee players, Alex Keillor and William Thomson, were in the Scottish side. Keillor became the first Dundee player to score a goal for Scotland, as the home side ran out 4–0 winners.[2]

Despite this, it was recognised that Carolina Port's location posed problems. Hemmed in amongst Dundee's harbour and overlooked by a huge pile of shale nicknamed the "burning mountain",[3] future development of the stadium would be difficult. After a major reorganisation of the club in 1898, Dundee F.C. took the decision to relocate to a new site at Dens Park in the less built-up Clepington district.[3] The club moved to their new ground in 1899 (where they are still playing well over 100 years later), and Carolina Port was rapidly consumed by the expansion of the harbour.

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yoker still have an enclosure that's a bit like that.

DSCF0749%5B1%5D.jpg

I'm sure I've seen a couple more like that in the Juniors. One that springs to mind is the very long one at Largs and it has benches.

DSC00020.JPG

I remember the bus shelter at Coupar Angus, does that count?

Edited by CityDave

9 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

couparangus12.png

The bus shelter is to the right of the steps on the raised bit with the white wall. Never tried it but I heard that the soup served there at half time was top notch. And I know.. Junior Forum for this pish.

I've seen the bus shelter in a photo (not one of mine), unfortunately it doesn't have a curved roof.

If we are going including non league football in this then Maryhill FC has uncovered seating and Newburgh has big fir trees growing within the ground, one really big one right on the terracing. Burghead Thistle have their ground situated in the middle of a pine wood. Plenty of hedges to match the one at Glebe Park and how about this stand at Lochee Utd for originality?.

Lochee Utd v Bathgate Th 27th Sept 08 (1).jpg

Edited by CityDave

I mention this in every matchday thread away to Celtic, and not one of them seems to believe its true. £26 for a ticket and I could only see, at best, three quarters of the pitch. Stewards refused to let us move aswell.

Horrific stadium. 

I have been in that away corner & I have admitted that the seats that are blocked by the pillar are awful & I fully agree with those fans who complain about it. It's something I'd like to see sorted but then Celtic are not going to spend £m's just to get a new roof & the support beams sorted for just 200 visiting fans from Killie, Hamilton etc.

That said, it is just a small % of seats affected and too many fans just use it to justify their reasons for not going to Celtic Park. As you can see from the Aberdeen fans at the weekend, very few of their fans would've been affected by any sort of viewing problems. Maybe if other clubs brought similar numbers as the Aberdeen & Hearts fans do, they could all get together to complain about it to their club to get on to Celtic & maybe something would get done about it.

Like I said though, just about every club in the premiership has restricted viewing at their own ground.

IMG_1472503772.921001.thumb.jpg.e66bf986

3 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Like I said though, just about every club in the premiership has restricted viewing at their own ground.

Bold.

What restricted views have ICT, Hamilton or St Johnstone? How many of rest - who, granted, have stands with posts - have genuine 'restricted views'? How many apply to away stands?

Agreed. And those stands usually havr one or two pillars that block one line of the pitch rather than whole sections . The other problem at Celtic Park with the restricted views is that the Stewards seem intent on stopping you moving to a seat where you can see the full pitch. 

That Turriff stand is crazy. Is it just that they've plonked seats onto an existing social club or something? Some of the grounds in the Highland League are quirky. I liked visiting Clach's ground with its large unused terrace at one end, the social club at the other end and a wee stand on one side. And when I was there, a young lad bouncing on a trampoline who saw a second of the game every two seconds or so for about 30 minutes from the gardens behind the hedge on the other side.

If we are going including non league football in this then Maryhill FC has uncovered seating and Newburgh has big fir trees growing within the ground, one really big one right on the terracing. Burghead Thistle have their ground situated in the middle of a pine wood. Plenty of hedges to match the one at Glebe Park and how about this stand at Lochee Utd for originality?.

Lochee Utd v Bathgate Th 27th Sept 08 (1).jpg

The pitch at Lochee's ground is something else as well. The far left corner from that stand must be about the same height as the crossbar at the same end.

No, it was purpose-built, AFAIA... I think it includes the changing facilities and presumably club rooms and so on. Ground already had 2 - admittedly very small! - stands straddling the halfway line, one of which had seats put into it when they joined HL (IIRC).

I think someone posted it before but Cove's old ground - they're now homeless, and play at different places each week - had no seated accommodation except a small stand which was glazed and only for VIPs.

cove04.jpg

cove09.jpg

Going by these pics Keith's stand has shutters - to bar seagulls outwith games?

keith6.jpg

Keith1.jpg

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

No, it was purpose-built, AFAIA... I think it includes the changing facilities and presumably club rooms and so on. Ground already had 2 - admittedly very small! - stands straddling the halfway line, one of which had seats put into it when they joined HL (IIRC).

I think someone posted it before but Cove's old ground - they're now homeless, and play at different places each week - had no seated accommodation except a small stand which was glazed and only for VIPs.

cove04.jpg

cove09.jpg

Going by these pics Keith's stand has shutters - to bar seagulls outwith games?

keith6.jpg

Keith1.jpg

Thought Cove play at Harlaw until Calder Park is built?

2 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

The pitch at Lochee's ground is something else as well. The far left corner from that stand must be about the same height as the crossbar at the same end.

Something there that amused me was the pitch boundary fence continuing up the hill shown in the photo on the upper right. You can just see the part of the hill that's been removed to make space for the corner flag. For about 15 minutes in the 2nd half I sat up there on the grass above the corner flag.

Lochee Utd v Bathgate Th 27th Sept 08 (4).jpg