Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Talking of the old floodlights got me back thinking about the old Celtic Park floodlights. Used to love them & could see them from miles around. Loved seeing them lit up in the Sky as a wee boy from my area just 2 miles away & could actually hear the songs & cheers of goals being scored from there.

Got me wondering if they were the tallest floodlights in Scotland. Certainly looked like it, although Hampden might well be a contender.

Anyone of the stadium geeks know?

IMG_1473104947.075062.thumb.jpg.7a111408IMG_1473104956.273089.jpg.aacc7cfdccb719

Yes, although nowadays the distinction has effectively ceased to exist... There is an excellent book called "Blinded by the Lights: a History of Night Football in England" which despite the title actually covers the rest of the UK too, and there's a bit about it in there. For whatever reason the drenchlighting idea which as I say seems to have been pushed by a Scottish engineering firm never caught on. Bit like Betamax and VHS, perhaps.

It might be worth a new thread in 'Infowire' but the book has a list of when each Football League club opened their floodlights, and who against. Quite a number were against Scottish clubs... 5 against Hearts (Aston Villa, Blackpool, Bolton, Manchester City, Swansea); 2 against Hibs (Doncaster, Leeds); 2 against Dundee (Doncaster, Sunderland); and a few which seem surprisingly unglamorous - 1 against Queen of the South (Coventry); 1 against St Mirren (Rochdale); and 1 against Falkirk (Walsall).

Accrington Stanley hanselled theirs against East Fife!

Here are a few I know of definitely:

Stenhousemuir (first in SFL)
friendly v Hibs, 7th November 1951

Leith Athletic
East XI v West XI, 13th January 1953
(involving Leith) friendly v Dunfermline, 10th March 1953

Rangers
friendly v Arsenal, 8th December 1953

Hibernian
friendly v Hearts, 18th October 1954

Partick Thistle
friendly v Spurs, 14th November 1955

Heart of Midlothian
friendly v Hibs, 7th October 1957

Celtic
friendly v Wolves, 10th December 1959

Queen's Park / Hampden
friendly, Rangers v Eintracht Frankfurt, 17th October 1961

Stirling Albion
friendly v Birmingham City, 27th November 1961

Brechin City
League Cup tie v Hibs, 30th August 1978

Alloa Athletic
League Cup tie v Kilmarnock, 22nd August 1979

Stranraer (last in SFL)
League Cup tie v Albion Rovers, 19th August 1981

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Yes, although nowadays the distinction has effectively ceased to exist... There is an excellent book called "Blinded by the Lights: a History of Night Football in England" which despite the title actually covers the rest of the UK too, and there's a bit about it in there. For whatever reason the drenchlighting idea which as I say seems to have been pushed by a Scottish engineering firm never caught on. Bit like Betamax and VHS, perhaps.

It might be worth a new thread in 'Infowire' but the book has a list of when each Football League club opened their floodlights, and who against. Quite a number were against Scottish clubs... 5 against Hearts (Aston Villa, Blackpool, Bolton, Manchester City, Swansea); 2 against Hibs (Doncaster, Leeds); 2 against Dundee (Doncaster, Sunderland); and a few which seem surprisingly unglamorous - 1 against Queen of the South (Coventry); 1 against St Mirren (Rochdale); and 1 against Falkirk (Walsall).

Leith Athletic

Rangers

Hibernian

Partick Thistle

Heart of Midlothian

Celtic

Queen's Park / Hampden

Brechin City

Alloa Athletic

Stranraer (last in SFL)

Raith Rovers had Aston Villa then Leeds United christen our floodlights.

http://www.footballzone.co.uk/Aston-Villa-V-Raith-Rovers-1960-Opening-Of-The-New-Flodlights

30 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Leith Athletic

Rangers

Hibernian

Partick Thistle

Heart of Midlothian

Celtic

Queen's Park / Hampden

Stirling Albion

Brechin City

Alloa Athletic

Stranraer (last in SFL)

To be fair East Fife were quite a big club back in the early 50s. 

Cowden's lights were  opened v Celtic in 1968. First few games I seen at Alloa were in the pre floodlight days they used to kick off at 2.15 in the winter.

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Here's Links Park before it was redeveloped in the early '90s.

season-19891990-links-park-montrose-link

As mentioned earlier in the thread the "dynamo" end curled round the corner flag. The terrace on the left is also at an angle. 

Would I be correct to say that the old stand at Links that the players came down past the spectators was originally purchased from Braemar Highland games or some such?

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Leith Athletic

Rangers

Hibernian

Partick Thistle

Heart of Midlothian

Celtic

Queen's Park / Hampden

Stirling Albion

Brechin City

Alloa Athletic

Stranraer (last in SFL)

Dundee 

Friendly v Liverpool 23rd March 1960. !-0 Dundee and possibly the only time Bob & Bill Shankly faced each other as managers..

On 9/4/2016 at 13:09, The Mantis said:

No, he bounced it every 4 steps. There was no limit to how long he could have the ball.

EDIT - sorry I mean the sixties/seventies. You maybe mean later, if I can remember he got 4 steps then had to kick it upfield or dribble it.

As a 90s keeper and also rugby player I can confirm unlimited steps was a revelation as you could claim a corner get the head down and charge to the edge of the box before releasing a quick drop kick up to the striker on half way.

6 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

You can include Ibrox and Dens. Both had terraced enclosures in front of the main stand.

Not so much an enclosure but united had two or three rows of terracing below pitch level in front of what was then " the stand" and is now the Jerry Kerr. I remember being a ball boy around 1994 and getting it right from the Aberdeen fans standing there.

We also had below pitch level terracing in front of what is now the Jim McLean stand bit at the time was the fair play enclosure but was 2 levels of terracing.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Leith Athletic

Rangers

Hibernian

Partick Thistle

Heart of Midlothian

Celtic

Queen's Park / Hampden

Stirling Albion

Brechin City

Alloa Athletic

Stranraer (last in SFL)

I'm fairly sure Dundee's were opened in a friendly at home to Liverpool a year or two before we won the title in 1962. 

On 9/2/2016 at 13:09, TheScarf said:

This is about a good a picture as I could find.  None facing the A9 unfortunately.  The terracing at the away end is still there but is closed off.  At the home end, it was transformed into uncovered seating that only opens for Celtic I think.  The ICT fans used to be able to sit in it when it first opened I think.

Edit - Just found the 2nd picture, if you look closely you can just see the blue seats on the right of the picture.

semi-aerial.jpg

JS28452535.jpg

First time I went there was a cup tie around 1997. We had the terracing where the away stand now is and ICT fans had the terracing opposite the main stand all the way down and round.

Next time I went I think the stands had been built but the Loos for away fans, and maybe pie stalls but memory hazy, were on that pitch side terracing.

Leith Athletic

Rangers

Hibernian

Partick Thistle

Heart of Midlothian

Celtic

Queen's Park / Hampden

Stirling Albion

Brechin City

Alloa Athletic

Stranraer (last in SFL)

An interesting piece on Celtic's old floodlights.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/Celtic+Park+-+The+Floodlights

Few more. I should say here that some of these have been found by Googling so if they're not actually true then please shout-out. In particular Aberdeen opening v Luton seems odd. In some cases where a competitive game was the first played under the new floodlights there may also have been an official opening - as with Ayr Utd - so detail of that welcome too.

Aberdeen - friendly v Luton Town, 21st October 1959
Airdrieonians - ? ? 1956
Albion Rovers - ? ? 1968
Arbroath - friendly v East Junior XI, ? ? 1956
Ayr United - Second XI Cup tie v Partick Thistle, 21st October 1970 (officially opened in friendly v Newcastle United, 11th November 1970)
Berwick Rangers - Second Division game v St Mirren, 20th September 1972
Clyde - friendly v Huddersfield Town, ? March 1954
Clydebank - friendly v Sunderland, ? February 1965
Dumbarton - friendly v Celtic, 23rd January 1957
Dunfermline Athletic - friendly v Sheffield Utd, ? ? 1959
Elgin City - Scottish Cup replay v Hawick Royal Albert, Monday 23rd January 1967
Forfar Athletic - ? ? 1972