Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

3 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Cracking image of the old North Stand at Hampden as Bobby Lennox scores in one of several cup finals where Celtic rattled six goals past Hibernian in that era, 1969 League Cup Final. 

IMG_20190408_150817.jpg

It was 1969, but iirc it was actually the 1968 final held over, due to the fact that there had been a fire in the main stand at Hampden.

On 03/04/2019 at 21:01, AyrshireTon said:

These may have been posted before.

Ariel shot of Cappielow from the 1960s. Can see the Invacars on the track at the Cowshed.

543119_10151247135049723_1477664600_n.jpg.705e3968cd0b19a7de3614c66bcc6c02.jpg

Again, the 1960s.

JS48964126.jpg.31b1dd76d88d8c278ce53e19cdc4271f.thumb.jpg.670768f4ba18e3be285a68469e955bed.jpg

2003 - Queues for Morton v Peterhead, final day 3rd Division title decider.

5ca510a693969_2003Peterheadqueue.jpg.e901e6726e60e8fcf012fa775110057b.jpg

I think the opposition in your second picture might be Montrose.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

It was 1969, but iirc it was actually the 1968 final held over, due to the fact that there had been a fire in the main stand at Hampden.

Correct, one of only a handful of occasions there have been two league cup finals in the same calendar year, also the case in 1984 and 2016.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

I'm sure that's Thomson Allan in the goal for Hibs. An absolute hero of mines when playing for Dundee. Had a few tremendous seasons for us winning the League Cup and being in the Scotland squad that went to the World Cup in Germany in 74. My favourite Dee goalie of all time

1 hour ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I'm sure that's Thomson Allan in the goal for Hibs. An absolute hero of mines when playing for Dundee. Had a few tremendous seasons for us winning the League Cup and being in the Scotland squad that went to the World Cup in Germany in 74. My favourite Dee goalie of all time

One of the few people to play League football for 3 Edinburgh clubs- HIbs, Meadowbank (two games on loan in 1979) and then Hearts. In the modern era Ralph Callachan and Darren Jackson are the other players. Donald Park played a few reserve games for Hibs when a coach there but I doubt that counts! 

Peter Flucker (steady now) played for Hibs, Hearts and St Bernards in the 1930s and there's probably others back in history. 

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Correct, one of only a handful of occasions there have been two league cup finals in the same calendar year, also the case in 1984 and 2016.

1979 Aberdeen v Rangers and Aberdeen v Dundee Utd first game and replay.

Found this picture of the old Bayview in Methil.  This was the terrace I stood on as a 13 year old in August 1998 to watch the veteran Duncan Shearer and the young Martin Bavidge put East Fife to the sword in a 5-1 victory.

Image result for old bayview methil

4 months later we were back in Methil at New Bayview to see East Fife beat us 3-2 with absolute mentalist Paul Cherry getting sent off for the 165th time in his career.

Edit - Just checked Wiki and our scorers that day were Paul Sheerin,  Dunc Shearer,  the mentalist Paul Cherry,  Martin Bavidge and Mick Teasdale.  We had Charlie Christie and Barry Wilson playing that day too.  Some team.

Edited by TheScarf

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Found this picture of the old Bayview in Methil.  This was the terrace I stood on as a 13 year old in August 1998 to watch the veteran Duncan Shearer and the young Martin Bavidge put East Fife to the sword in a 5-1 victory.

Image result for old bayview methil

4 months later we were back in Methil at New Bayview to see East Fife beat us 3-2 with absolute mentalist Paul Cherry getting sent off for the 165th time in his career.

Edit - Just checked Wiki and our scorers that day were Paul Sheerin,  Dunc Shearer,  the mentalist Paul Cherry,  Martin Bavidge and Mick Teasdale.  We had Charlie Christie and Barry Wilson playing that day too.  Some team.

I have also stood on that terrace. Not so fond memories as Paul Hunter scored a hat-trick to put Meadowbank out the cup. And I even think cult (that's "cult" with an n instead of a l) hero Wullie Broon wasn't playing for East Fife that day.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:24, tamthebam said:

abstract.thumb.jpg.c2bd06888fee6114253c192c2073cd10.jpg

5ca5310faddab_meadowbanksunset.thumb.jpg.0606eb6a7247ba0fe2bb1bc9daa117c9.jpg

5ca531730007e_dalshegsgoal.thumb.jpg.764b311b2dfaa9cfec8d26488b80ea50.jpg

With the stand now gone, the mighty Meadowbank floodlights are now being taken down, alas. :(

There's not many of the traditional tall floodlight pylons left in Scottish football now.  Pittodrie (and they'll go soon), Dens, Palmerston, Cappielow (the old Love Street ones), a couple at Tannadice, Somerset Park, Cliftonhill. 

I was trying to work out what the remaining tallest pylons were now Meadowbank's are gone- maybe Pittodrie's or Dens Park's. 

Ahem, certainly the best formed :P

Taken from Muirton Park when we moved.

St_Johnstone_Football_Club_-_geograph.or

2 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I had neighbours like that. Did a moonlight and stripped the flat of everything - door handles, light bulbs, the lot.

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

I had neighbours like that. Did a moonlight and stripped the flat of everything - door handles, light bulbs, the lot.

Blobby did the same thing at Meadowbank Stadium when the Franchise moved to the new stadium out west- Edinburgh City moved in to find everything gone except a couple of corner flags and a mop and bucket. Even the heaters off the walls had been removed.

5 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

I always thought they were new ones as it was a new ground but fair enough. I have a photo of the last game at Muirton with the pylons lying at the back of the terrace having been taken down already.

On 10/04/2019 at 12:56, tamthebam said:

I always thought they were new ones as it was a new ground but fair enough. I have a photo of the last game at Muirton with the pylons lying at the back of the terrace having been taken down already.

On 10/04/2019 at 12:56, tamthebam said:

Without doubt Dens Park has the most impressive pylons in Scotland 

IMG_0006.JPG

Back in the day I used to live 4 miles away from East End Park and was always impressed how you could tell there was a game on with the old floodlights lighting the sky up to the degree they did. 

All the more impressive when you consider that the evening/night sky there is permanently lit up orange by Grangemouth. 

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Back in the day I used to live 4 miles away from East End Park and was always impressed how you could tell there was a game on with the old floodlights lighting the sky up to the degree they did. 

All the more impressive when you consider that the evening/night sky there is permanently lit up orange by Grangemouth. 

What about Mossmorran?

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

What about Mossmorran?

I was on the posh side of Dunfermline. Mossmorran was little more than a cigarette lighter. 

(I know this includes Oakley & High Valleyfield, but I feel that this speaks volumes) 

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was on the posh side of Dunfermline. Mossmorran was little more than a cigarette lighter. 

(I know this includes Oakley & High Valleyfield, but I feel that this speaks volumes) 

*snorts into his nightcap*