Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/1991+-+Firhill+SFT+Article

The plans for a super duper Firhill on this rather good Partick Thistle history site. 

I can't remember who Partick might have played for the official opening of the new floodlights but I'm sure one of the early games they were used in was a midweek fixture against Meadowbank Thistle- any Partick fans able to confirm my senile memory? 

That looks smart, though obviously far bigger than necessary. All Mr Weir needs to do is build the stand behind the goal then fill in the corners.  He wouldn't even need to fill in the basin and provide boarding and sailing on the canal, I think the fans could go without that bit.

Such a shame Thistle knocked that terracing to leave that end of the ground empty, a ground needs 4 sides. Surely the Weirs could splash out a million pounds to build a six row family stand or something.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That looks smart, though obviously far bigger than necessary. All Mr Weir needs to do is build the stand behind the goal then fill in the corners.  He wouldn't even need to fill in the basin and provide boarding and sailing on the canal, I think the fans could go without that bit.

Such a shame Thistle knocked that terracing to leave that end of the ground empty, a ground needs 4 sides. Surely the Weirs could splash out a million pounds to build a six row family stand or something.

Why not just rebuild the terrace? Even just a small one, like at Forthbank for example. Firhill doesn't need any more seats.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It was a big mistake to knock the retracing down and you're right grounds look better four sided. But I think it would cost more than you think. I also think Thistle have more pressing homes for that kind of money than more seats they don't need.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why not just rebuild the terrace? Even just a small one, like at Forthbank for example. Firhill doesn't need any more seats.

True. Forgetting that you're allowed standing in the top league* again.

* presuming Thistle get promoted sometime in the future

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It was a big mistake to knock the retracing down and you're right grounds look better four sided. But I think it would cost more than you think. I also think Thistle have more pressing homes for that kind of money than more seats they don't need.

What you say makes perfect sense.  But do folk think the ground plays a part for some people in deciding whether to go to a game?

I must admit as daft as it sounds, the ground has sometimes played a part for me in deciding whether to go to an away game.

For example, I sometimes don't bother with Pittodrie as it's an awful ground with poor view and not much atmosphere, whereas I love going to Tynecastle.

I far prefer making the slightly longer trip to Dingwall over Caley Thistle, based on Victoria Park being light years ahead of the Inverness ground.

Generally, when it comes to those mid-table matches with little at stake later on in the season when there's other things I could be doing I'm more likely to bin a trip to the shiter grounds.

For what it's worth, if I was an away fan I'd probably prefer going to Livingston than McDiarmid, as it feels far more enclosed.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

What you say makes perfect sense.  But do folk think the ground plays a part for some people in deciding whether to go to a game?

I must admit as daft as it sounds, the ground has sometimes played a part for me in deciding whether to go to an away game.

For example, I sometimes don't bother with Pittodrie as it's an awful ground with poor view and not much atmosphere, whereas I love going to Tynecastle.

I far prefer making the slightly longer trip to Dingwall over Caley Thistle, based on Victoria Park being light years ahead of the Inverness ground.

Generally, when it comes to those mid-table matches with little at stake later on in the season when there's other things I could be doing I'm more likely to bin a trip to the shiter grounds.

For what it's worth, if I was an away fan I'd probably prefer going to Livingston than McDiarmid, as it feels far more enclosed.

If I'm visiting as a neutral and choosing which grounds to go to, I take that kind of thing in to consideration. If you asked a Thistle, or other supporter in the same situation, I think they'd go for, spend it on players, training facility, youth development in that order.

15 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If I'm visiting as a neutral and choosing which grounds to go to, I take that kind of thing in to consideration. If you asked a Thistle, or other supporter in the same situation, I think they'd go for, spend it on players, training facility, youth development in that order.

The one Scottish football fan who got into that situation WAS a Thistle fan, and he threw a bunch of money straight into Thistle's youth development, and also got a stand redecorated (by slapping his name on it), so you might have things out of order.

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

The one Scottish football fan who got into that situation WAS a Thistle fan, and he threw a bunch of money straight into Thistle's youth development, and also got a stand redecorated (by slapping his name on it), so you might have things out of order.

He was quite an unusual supporter though. He paid for ground improvement at Largs as well.

I was thinking of the people that have to watch the shite they do now would probably opt for new players first.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I can't remember who Partick might have played for the official opening of the new floodlights but I'm sure one of the early games they were used in was a midweek fixture against Meadowbank Thistle- any Partick fans able to confirm my senile memory? 

I remember going to Firhill not long after the new lights were erected (KW pic here) but it was an afternoon game. We deliberately stood in a line leading back from the pylon and complained we couldn't see the goalmouth.

Don't know if this has come up here before (particularly as it's Argentinian rather than Scottish) but this pitch was mentioned on a repeat of 'Have I Got News for You' last night - it's on the outskirts of Buenos Aires and belongs to  fifth division  Club Social y Deportivo Liniers:

Pitch.jpg

Edited by GordonD

Don't know if this has come up here before (particularly as it's Argentinian rather than Scottish) but this pitch was mentioned on a repeat of 'Have I Got News for You' last night - it's on the outskirts of Buenos Aires and belongs to  fifth division  Club Social y Deportivo Liniers:

Pitch.jpg.46508aea02349de0a8a55f917cbdeb7d.jpg

On a quick side note to this, there is a stadium in brazil that is sat on the equator.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zerão

32 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Tannadice sometime in the 1970's, Celtic fans in what was then the away end, now the Eddie Thompson stand.

Tannadice, like Tynecastle switched the away end to behind the opposite goal when it was redeveloped in the 1990's.

FB_IMG_1551126115000.jpg

Is that definitely Celtic supporters? There’s a guy in the photo that’s the spitting image of someone that used to go to Aberdeen away matches in the 70’s & 80’s.

24 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Is that definitely Celtic supporters? There’s a guy in the photo that’s the spitting image of someone that used to go to Aberdeen away matches in the 70’s & 80’s.

Saw it on the Celtic wiki page so I believe so without being 100% certain. 

The Wheatfield stand was built first I seem to recall 1994 then the Roseburn Stand a year later and the Gorgie stand the last one to be built, I remember that because Celtic played Berwick Rangers in a League Cup tie there at the start of 97-98 season and the Gorgie stand was in the final phase of being finished  before opening not long after, Henrik Larsson scored his first goal for Celtic that day.

44 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

The Wheatfield stand was built first I seem to recall 1994 then the Roseburn Stand a year later and the Gorgie stand the last one to be built, I remember that because Celtic played Berwick Rangers in a League Cup tie there at the start of 97-98 season and the Gorgie stand was in the final phase of being finished  before opening not long after, Henrik Larsson scored his first goal for Celtic that day.

not a bad pub quiz question that one- "Against who did Henrik Larson score his first goal for Celtic?"

It's interesting to note in that photo that two years after the Hillsborough disaster it appears there's still some fencing in place although IIRC gates were kept open during matches.