Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Pittodrie is an oddball stadium

pittodrie-090213-20.jpg

Different roof parts on main stand and the weird open air seated sections.

Also having the best stand for home fans in the traditional away end is weird. Tynecastle is the same, away fans should be in the end beside the road. It doesn’t make sense logistically.

On 20/02/2019 at 16:38, Ken Fitlike said:

I suppose developing an 'all seated, all covered' stadium which was not actually all covered would be classed as a 'Quirk'!

One of my favourite pictures of Pittodrie.... about 1980 - I can't be arsed to dig out an actual date....

48963773_2031334553626936_4892927018204659712_o.jpg

Is the South Stand essentially the old terrace with seats and a roof bolted on? 

I was there for the first time in years for Burnley game and forgot how old fashioned that area of the ground is. 

8 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

pittodrie-090213-20.jpg

Also having the best stand for home fans in the traditional away end is weird. Tynecastle is the same, away fans should be in the end beside the road. It doesn’t make sense logistically.

Makes sense at Tynecastle as majority of Hearts fans pubs are Gorgie Road.

Dunno where buses would park if otherwise. Can't remember where they used to park when we got the Gorgie Road end.

37 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Dunno where buses would park if otherwise. Can't remember where they used to park when we got the Gorgie Road end.

Chesser Avenue, if my memory serves............................and a long way to walk through 'enemy territory' after a victory.

Just thought that the away fans need to walk through the home ones to get to the main road whereas before they were away first?
I suppose east end is a bit like this but you can walk around the back.

1 minute ago, Ylf said:

What was the deal with the terrace behind the goal at firhill? Plans for a stand years ago??

Did they not knock it down to build a stand, then weren't able to get planning permission?

6 minutes ago, Ylf said:

What was the deal with the terrace behind the goal at firhill? Plans for a stand years ago??

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did they not knock it down to build a stand, then weren't able to get planning permission?

I'm sure the documentary 'Grasping the Thistle' on youtube mentions something about that. I found myself watching the whole documentary a while ago because I'm a closet jag there was a feature on it from a game against Clyde and some of John Lambies touchline and dressing room antics raised a chuckle.

Edited by C. Muir

17 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

pittodrie-090213-20.jpg

I think the different roof parts stem from repairs after a fire in 1971 - story in the link

https://beyondthelastman.com/2016/12/01/the-day-the-scottish-cup-was-saved/

Which end do you regard as the traditional away end at Pittodrie ?

2 hours ago, A96 said:

I think the different roof parts stem from repairs after a fire in 1971 - story in the link

https://beyondthelastman.com/2016/12/01/the-day-the-scottish-cup-was-saved/

Which end do you regard as the traditional away end at Pittodrie ?

so it looks like the fire damaged section (close to the beach end) was re-roofed using corrugated asbestos/cement sheeting in 71 then at some later point the rest was redone using steel sheeting, seems logical. plus the stand had corporate boxes added at the rear, question is why didnt aberdeen put the dressing rooms in the centre of the stand (like at most other grounds) post fire, instead they went back in the original location, suppose water and waste connections were at that end

16 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Not really, instead of wasting money on that monstrosity the tight chav could have paid the £6 entry fee to watch his team.

Monstrosity?

It's a thing of beauty, hewn from the elements with love.  I bet he's got a wee fridge in there.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 hour ago, wintonfan said:

so it looks like the fire damaged section (close to the beach end) was re-roofed using corrugated asbestos/cement sheeting in 71 then at some later point the rest was redone using steel sheeting, seems logical. plus the stand had corporate boxes added at the rear, question is why didnt aberdeen put the dressing rooms in the centre of the stand (like at most other grounds) post fire, instead they went back in the original location, suppose water and waste connections were at that end

It would have made no sense whatsoever to relocate the dressing rooms to a part of the stand untouched by the damage. It would have meant totally rebuilding the whole stand. Replacement of the original design was much more cost effective.

7 hours ago, Ylf said:

http://partickthistleahistory.wikifoundry.com/page/1991+-+Firhill+SFT+Article

The plans for a super duper Firhill on this rather good Partick Thistle history site. 

I can't remember who Partick might have played for the official opening of the new floodlights but I'm sure one of the early games they were used in was a midweek fixture against Meadowbank Thistle- any Partick fans able to confirm my senile memory?