Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

I could be wrong but I think the referee finally allowed a defender to lie down and hold it in place until the goalie kicked it! (Is there anything in the Laws preventing that?)

I've seen it done, and not just on plastic.

Can't remember exactly where, somewhere coastal and windy like Gayfield or Links Park, I think.

14 hours ago, GordonD said:

I remember watching a goalkeeper take about five minutes to take a goal kick because the ball kept blowing away. I could be wrong but I think the referee finally allowed a defender to lie down and hold it in place until the goalie kicked it! (Is there anything in the Laws preventing that?)

That might have been the notorious New Year's game where spare p***ks Meadowbank and Stirling got to play a 1st Division "derby" against each other. Gale force winds hit Central Scotland that particular day and it was fair blowing a hoolie at Annfield. Despite this the game went ahead. 

Stirling got a dubious penalty which was taken and Jim McQueen saved it. Referee adjudged ball to have moved in the wind and ordered the spot kick retaken. McQueen saved it again. Referee again decided the ball had moved. 3rd time lucky- McQueen saves the spot kick again by which time the ref gave up. Final Score: an unsurprising 0-0. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:37, resk said:

Presumably Forthbank is a lot closer to the centre of Stirling than fkin Kingsford is to the centre of Aberdeen.

It's closer to the the centre of Stirling than Pittodrie is to the centre of Aberdeen

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:
10 hours ago, tamthebam said:
that just looks as if the Russians/Yanks/anyone with a sense of  humanity has nuked Dalkeith. 

I don't think anyone would have noticed.

Apparently it caused ten million quids' worth of improvements.

On 1/10/2019 at 15:05, Squirrelhumper said:

Football back then didn't have the same costs to enable you to run a club.

Clubs now spend a hell of a lot more on stadium upkeep, sports science, training facilities etc. It's not comparing like for like.  Back in the 70s the stadiums were shiteholes, sometimes unsafe shiteholes and majority of teams trained on public parks!

I don't think £20 for an SPFL game is OTT. It's even less when you have a season ticket. 

Out of interest, how much was a cinema ticket in 1973 as I was robbed for £12 the other day!

I could understand folk moaning if clubs were paying players OTT money and making a big profit, but they aren't. A lot of SPFL players will be on less than a lot of the guys in the stand watching and only have 15 years at most at that level.

Clubs are lucky to break even as it is, I don't see any benefit of lowering the prices as it's been tried and makes next to no difference in crowd size in the long term.

Kids however should be free with an adult.

Just noticing this absolute waffle...nah only kidding, you make fair points and I know you are a very regular attender of fitba matches. 

All that you have said, I agree with...times have changed in terms of facilities and costs to football clubs, that however does nothing to legislate for the real terms costs for a family to attend a game of fitba, and in real terms the costs to the fan have gone through the roof, compared to standard inflation. 

I'm not sure what the answer is, maybe there isn't one.

Scottish stadiums - and the match day experience as a whole - would be improved if Burton Albion's 3 sides of terrace with one side of seats was used by all the clubs looking at a 10Kish  capacity.
I'm not sure how they have dodged the Taylor Report standards.

burtonalbion16x9226-1617882_1600x900.thumb.jpg.a8b103a294c8c5d620d1a361c7c4d7c7.jpg

The Taylor Report was relaxed to cover only the top 2 divisions in England. At the moment all seater is a requirement for all clubs in the Premier League and Football League clubs who have been present in the 2nd tier for 3 or more seasons. Burton were in the Conference or whatever it’s called nowadays when that stadium was built.

On 22/04/2018 at 22:45, Flybhoy said:

They were proper seats, Fergus being Fergus being as fly as the day is long when it came to pennies, took them out and put them in the existing main stand as they were relatively new, replacing the, amusing and bizarrely coloured orange seats that were in place there at that point, I believe most/all are still there to this day.

The green seats from the jungle were taken out and dumped in Bill Barr’s yard near Ayr. Clydebank then took a heap of them as there was plans to use them when they did some work at Glenhead Park but due to vandalism they never installed and indeed sold a couple to Celtic fans. 

• 3 weeks later...