Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

If it helps anyone doing the calculations the exact centre of Glasgow is the GoMA, aka the building behind the statue with the cone on its heid. Would still imagine CP is the closest tho Firhill may come close as the crow flies. Unsure of any more historical forgotten grounds around the area that have since been swallowed up in Glasgow's expansion.

4 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

If it helps anyone doing the calculations the exact centre of Glasgow is the GoMA, aka the building behind the statue with the cone on its heid. Would still imagine CP is the closest tho Firhill may come close as the crow flies. Unsure of any more historical forgotten grounds around the area that have since been swallowed up in Glasgow's expansion.

Nothing to do with this thread but the architect of the building that became GOMA also designed the Falkirk Steeple which features on the Bairns' badge. There's not a lot of people know that. 

Something to do with this thread:

I though the dead centre of Edinburgh is this building in the Cowgate:

morgue.jpg.5fd7cedaefbbd19e405bdbd2b72b7989.jpg

On 18/10/2018 at 05:44, Saint Huck said:

I took this photo earlier this year.  A sign for the old Recreation Grounds is still visible above the window.  Saints moved to Muirton in 1924 so the sign could be  around 100 years old..... 

CDL_0883.JPG

Have you sent that pic into the club? It's a great bit of history. They should treat it like a Banksy and slap some perspex over it to preserve what's left. I see it's quite clear on Google maps too.

49 minutes ago, Saint Huck said:

You can see the exact location of the Recreation Grounds in this ordnance survey map of Perth from 1902.

Recreation Grounds 1902.jpg

That's basically the A&J Stephen site now. Another Saints ground owned by builders!

Pretty sure Dumbarton had one at Boghead as well during its final years.

7 hours ago, drs said:

Pretty sure Dumbarton had one at Boghead as well during its final years.

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:
7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:
Does anyone have a picture of the pie stall that was shaped like a big tub of Bovril that sat at the side of the old Love Street main stand? That was quite strange. 

Pretty sure it was a big jar of Kenco coffee.

TWO Kenco jars, actually. #bigtime

Screenshot_20181021-192511_Samsung Internet.jpg

6 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Turnstiles outside Cappielow, one of the last old school style grounds left in Scotland. 

IMG_20181021_192515.jpg

Once you go down the leagues, there are quite a number of old style grounds about. Ayr is one that, apart from the segregation fence, doesn’t appear to have changed at all since my first visit in 1970.

7 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Looks like the front of the enclosure is below pitch level with fans leaning on the tiny wall. Great pic.

That is an incredible old stand at Celtic Park. My first visit was in November 1970 (1.0 Aberdeen) and I was in the Main Stand surrounded by an incredible amount of priests, which has stuck in my memory.  It was definitely the present day structure by then.

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

That is an incredible old stand at Celtic Park. My first visit was in November 1970 (1.0 Aberdeen) and I was in the Main Stand surrounded by an incredible amount of priests, which has stuck in my memory.  It was definitely the present day structure by then.

Is it true priests were admitted free?