Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Yes. There was a 'cage'

I thought I remembered that correctly. Don’t know if you will remember that game, but they had to call for a qualified official because either the ref or the linesman got injured. I only remember it because my football coach at the time was a qualified official and had made his way down, but someone had beat him to it.

New book out with loads of new pictures; https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/639226/lifted-over-the-turnstiles-new-book-reveals-scottish-football-stadium-photos-not-seen-for-50-years/

Here's some from the article;

The main stand at Tannadice under construction in 1961

Tannadice-1961-564x564.jpg.02aae9a96417be9b32bd0000c87d1a7f.jpg

The nanny state wouldn’t allow this to happen nowadays. Country has gone soft.

2 hours ago, buchan30 said:

The nanny state wouldn’t allow this to happen nowadays. Country has gone soft.

Not only did they remember to order the seating, they installed it first and then built the rest of the stand around it. Ann Budge should take note.

The away end at Easter Road is regularly referred to as The Dunbar End - named after the old Lemonade Factory that sits directly behind it. The factory is the reason the stand slopes away at one side. 

C658BE99-E306-41D4-81EB-60AA0D7D7D69.jpeg

B1CFEDD2-6E7D-4181-A4ED-8AD7FF3672B4.jpeg

Edited by Austinho

The away end at Easter Road is regularly referred to as The Dunbar End - named after the old Lemonade Factory that sits directly behind it. The factory is the reason the stand slopes away at one side. 
C658BE99-E306-41D4-81EB-60AA0D7D7D69.jpeg.ba33c08c938df611d8f4f3f29b3c0cad.jpeg
B1CFEDD2-6E7D-4181-A4ED-8AD7FF3672B4.jpeg.9b074ef4674f4e74371873b844d48655.jpeg

Ah brilliant! I was visiting one of the wee business units inside recently and was struck by the bit that Mellis now occupy. Had no idea that used to be a lemonade factory.

25 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Ah brilliant! I was visiting one of the wee business units inside recently and was struck by the bit that Mellis now occupy. Had no idea that used to be a lemonade factory.

Sir John Greig Dunbar was the Lord Provost of Edinburgh in the early sixties. His son Greig Dunbar opened The Steading pub at Hillend in 1972 and I had a job there as a student. He sold it on after a few years though, all the extended bits came later.

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Sir John Greig Dunbar was the Lord Provost of Edinburgh in the early sixties. His son Greig Dunbar opened The Steading pub at Hillend in 1972 and I had a job there as a student. He sold it on after a few years though, all the extended bits came later.

Another bloke called Dunbar who also stood for office coined the name 'Queen of the South'.

Irrelevant, but true.

On 27/04/2018 at 21:08, GordonD said:

That's obviously not during a match - there are no goalposts. Was this when they paraded the Cup-Winners' Cup?

Pretty sure that was an open day to parade the league trophy shortly after we won the league in May 1980.   South Terrace still had benches rather than individual seats and wasn’t yet covered at that time.

22 hours ago, Austinho said:

C658BE99-E306-41D4-81EB-60AA0D7D7D69.jpeg

B1CFEDD2-6E7D-4181-A4ED-8AD7FF3672B4.jpeg

Hibs legend Gordon Rae's dad Adam Rae played for Dunbar United when they won the Scottish Junior Cup in 1961. 

Not particularly relevant. But true. 

Extra reinforced barriers at Brockville. I can't remember those from my visits and they must have been a 'near the end' effort at keeping a Safety Certificate.
photo from Facebook Page -' Scottish Football of Yesteryear'
brockville.jpg.569ff2ff85e0c40bb0947f4d09b2228a.jpg

Only ever at this ground once sat in the main stand. Absolute shit hole of a stand but liked the terracing Great atmosphere

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2018 at 13:32, Benjamin Nevis said:

A new book has been launched called Lifted Over The Turnstiles, which features some amazing old photos of Scottish grounds, which might appeal to P&B posters, particularly those on this thread.

DC Thomson (who have published the book) are running a competition at the moment, with 10 copies of the book up for grabs. Just got to tell them your favourite Scottish football memory to enter. I emailed Div before joining to check it was cool to come in with a first post that is promoting a competition elsewhere as I know that's not really good form for a forum. I'm planning on sticking about though.

Anyway, link to the competition is below:

https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/blog/LOTT-giveaway/

I’ve just got this. Steve very generously sent me a copy as I gave him 2 images to use. I’ve only seen one or two of the images before, like the one of the half finished stand at Tannadice with the people sitting in it :lol: Excellent book and well designed, over 250pp.

Amazon have it at £15.99 for the hardback although there’s no retail price on the actual book.

4 hours ago, The Mantis said:

I’ve just got this. Steve very generously sent me a copy as I gave him 2 images to use. I’ve only seen one or two of the images before, like the one of the half finished stand at Tannadice with the people sitting in it :lol: Excellent book and well designed, over 250pp.

Amazon have it at £15.99 for the hardback although there’s no retail price on the actual book.

Is one of the images of the old corrugated iron fence "facilities" at Fergie Park?!