Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 29/12/2022 at 12:40, Dunning1874 said:

My gut instinct is that trams are a slippery slope and we'll be allowing bus stops to count next. Unacceptable.

I did in the interests of Glasgow v Edinburgh fairness give thought to removing St George's Cross and Ibrox from consideration, but Partick and Rangers both have real stations a mile away anyway. As it doesn't allow them to get kicked out I'm afraid Edinburgh is simply going to need a better public transport network.

Where are these "a mile away" railway stations at Rangers and Partick Thistle?

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Where are these "a mile away" railway stations at Rangers and Partick Thistle?

Possilpark and Parkhouse for Firhill, Dumbreck for Ibrox, both pretty much bang on a mile walk as far as I can tell. Not a way anyone is actually going to choose to travel to either.

• 1 month later...

Cracking ariel picture of Easter Road I saw on a Facebook page earlier, obviously from the late 80's or early 90's, from memory the two stands behind the goal were constructed in 1994 or 1995?

Pretty sure they were done in an incredibly quick turnover over a few months in the summer and in time for the start of the following season, can anyone confirm?

FB_IMG_1684181150988.jpg

14 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Cracking ariel picture of Easter Road I saw on a Facebook page earlier, obviously from the late 80's or early 90's, from memory the two stands behind the goal were constructed in 1994 or 1995?

Pretty sure they were done in an incredibly quick turnover over a few months in the summer and in time for the start of the following season, can anyone confirm?

FB_IMG_1684181150988.jpg

My first visit to Easter Road was in January 1971 and I'm pretty sure that my sister parked our car in a massive car park behind the huge terrace opposite the Main Stand and we walked round behind what is now the away end into the enclosure. Any older Hibs fans able to confirm that or is my memory playing tricks?

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1684181150988.jpg

The Famous Five was the first stand to be built, followed by what is now the South Stand. I can't remember the gap in time between the two but it wasn't long.

Dunbar's lemonade factory is in the picture which is why the away end was known as the Dunbar End 

The roof behind the goal at Easter Road featured one of the earliest electronic 'scoreboards' I can recall seeing.

I put it in quotes because I don't think it actually displayed the score. I think it was only for advertising, but was a novelty nonetheless.

My first game there was a 4-0 win for St Mirren at the tail end of the 1984/5 season and the scoreboard was in place at that time.

5 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

The roof behind the goal at Easter Road featured one of the earliest electronic 'scoreboards' I can recall seeing.

I put it in quotes because I don't think it actually displayed the score. I think it was only for advertising, but was a novelty nonetheless.

My first game there was a 4-0 win for St Mirren at the tail end of the 1984/5 season and the scoreboard was in place at that time.

The scoreboard was a bit of a joke among fans when my mate took me along in October 1986. "Aye, worked once, went BANG! and they keep trying to fix it"

I can only remember seeing it work once and this may be incredibly faulty memory but I'm sure it was at the end of the Scottish Cup tie against the Pars and it showed the score of Rangers 0 Hamilton 1 to everyone's delight. I could be wrong though 

It was a sad sight latterly, gently flapping in the wind. Meanwhile down the road Meadowbank Thistle had a scoreboard that actually worked ...

2 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Did Livi get to keep that? ....

No, but when Edinburgh City moved in we discovered they had taken the wall heaters from the dressing rooms when they moved to the newly built Almondvale, which we found a bit odd if not untypical of Blobby & Co.

The only Meadowbank Thistle equipment left was two corner flags and a bucket! 

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Bill Hunter was an absolute reptile of a guy, is he still with us or shuffled off his mortal coil?

He died around two months ago I think. There was a petition going around to name the main stand after him. It seemed to split the fanbase though, I personally didn't sign it :D 

Edited by ATLIS

On 15/05/2023 at 21:35, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1684181150988.jpg

Both stands were built in 1995.

North Stand didn't become the Famous Five Stand until 26th July 1998... and the illustrious opponents were: Barnsley!

prog_vs_barns_25_7_1998.jpeg

On 15/05/2023 at 21:53, kingjoey said:

My first visit to Easter Road was in January 1971 and I'm pretty sure that my sister parked our car in a massive car park behind the huge terrace opposite the Main Stand and we walked round behind what is now the away end into the enclosure. Any older Hibs fans able to confirm that or is my memory playing tricks?

There was indeed "wasteland" behind the East Terrace: partly from shallowing of the old enormous terrace and behind that once held allotments, parkland and a bowling green (later relocated southward to immediately beside the aerated water factory), opposite St Clairs printing works on Hawkhill Avenue. Now covered by flats and sidestreets.

EWwcwh6XYAAL0A3?format=png&name=4096x409

EaQrHWaXQAQLmHC.jpg

3694961859_aa8ed6102a_b.jpg

hq720.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEhCK4FEIIDSFryq4qpAx

On 15/05/2023 at 21:53, kingjoey said:

My first visit to Hibs was on March 23rd 1985 with my parents and sister, Dons won 5-0 as we zeroed in on the title. It was my first away match from Pittodrie.

I was 10 but remember specifically for three reasons.

Firstly, on the way down, I remember the radio announcer saying that the 6 year old Ben Hardwick, who was the youngest ever liver transplant patient, and had appeared on That's Life, had passed away. For some reason, I remember being near Brechin on the way down when I heard this...

Also, the trouble and general unrest that was going on outside the ground. It was the Raymond Morrell match.

Finally, Archie MacPherson ascending a rickety old ladder into this tin shack high Bove the stand and seemingly suspended in mid-air with his everpresent sheepskin to summarise on that day's proceedings.

As I recall we sat in the Main Stand which I think was wooden, and McPherson was directly across from us.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

On 15/05/2023 at 21:35, Flybhoy said:

FB_IMG_1684181150988.jpg

There was a weird Hibs-'Well game that I was at in 1995 where it was played on a (IIRC) Thursday afternoon (plenty of sickies taken as there was a decent enough crowd there) - I guess because the floodlights were removed or something similar as part of the rebuild. We were in the Main Stand, which was only time I can ever remember that happening.

The news that Davie Cooper had died came out during or just before the game.

On 15/05/2023 at 23:11, Dirty Sanchez said:

I was at that game. Despite being the end of April it was so cold I bought a cup of "chicken" soup solely to warm my hands.

Edited by Arch Stanton

24 minutes ago, Swello said:

There was a weird Hibs-'Well game that I was at in 1995 where it was played on a (IIRC) Thursday afternoon (plenty of sickies taken as there was a decent enough crowd there) - I guess because the floodlights were removed or something similar as part of the rebuild. We were in the Main Stand, which was only time I can ever remember that happening.

The news that Davie Cooper had died came out during or just before the game.

I don't know if if was the same game but I think we also played in the afternoon around then at Hibs and a scoreless draw secured European qualification or 2nd place.

54 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I don't know if if was the same game but I think we also played in the afternoon around then at Hibs and a scoreless draw secured European qualification or 2nd place.

That was a different game as we lost the game I'm talking about 2-0 IIRC - we were good in the mid-90's but not good enough to have Europe or 2nd place sewn up in March :)