Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

3 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Newcastle have their own Metro station. Though I see light rail doesn't score high, the interchange is within Newcastle Central.

image.thumb.png.9e6807e79adc9d3e3542b9b6bcc2796d.png

Newcastle Central Station itself, is not far away at all.

Newcastle's is about the most centrally located big ground that I can think of.

On 13/02/2023 at 23:43, TxRover said:

Not if you use the emergency brake, and then avoid the blame.

Station Measurement Proposal:

A) The distance shall be measured via Google maps from the applicable rail station to the stadium. This shall be via any reasonable walking route that doesn’t require climbing over obstacles, thus adjustment of the Google Maps calculated route is acceptable, other than to qualify an indirect route of over 1 mile by selectively meandering for licensed establishments. Measurements shall be recorded to the nearest 1/100th of a mile.

B) For each licenced establishment directly along the route, 1/10th of a mile shall be subtracted.

C) For each eating establishment with a licence directly along the route, 1/20th of a mile shall be subtracted.

D) For each off-licence location directly along the route, 1/5th of a mile shall be subtracted. For the purposes of this calculation only, an off-licence location visible, and reachable as above, from the route shall be counted as directly along the route, but the distance to and from the establishment shall be added to the route distance.

E) Light rail/tram stations and bus stops are not an acceptable substitute for conventional rail unless a direct connection is utilized from the nearest railway station, via this system, for matches.

F) Stadiums with stations more than 2 miles from them can just f**k right off.

Example: Stark’s Park is 0.9 miles from the Kirkcaldy Rail Station. Along the way is the Beveridge Park Hotel (licenced with a bar and eating) and just off the route, but visible, is a Tesco Express. The detour to the Tesco Express adds 0.05 miles. Thus the calculation is 0.9 - 0.05 + 0.05 - 0.2 = 0.7 mileage rating.

Pittodrie is 1.5 miles from the station but you could easily pass 15 pubs on a reasonable walking route, not to mention several shops selling booze and food options.

Is it possible to have a negative mileage rating?

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I'm pretty sure that the sheer number of licensed eating establishments alone on Dalry Road would give Tynecastle a negative mileage from Haymarket before we start counting pubs and off licenses

For the Waverley to Easter Road Google sends you past the Omni Centre and Pink Triangle so you've probably racked up enough deductions to cancel out 1.4 miles before you've even hit London Road

5 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Hell yes, in fact it’s recommended!

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Newcastle put their football stadium in the position where other European Cities would have put their cathedral

A wise choice from a forward looking community!

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

The T&W Metro is actually just rebadged heavy rail, not really light rail.

This may be for another thread but what makes the distinction? The forward facing window seat made me think it would be light rail. Is the Mersey Metro the same?

Though I'd just like to add I don't discriminate and all trains are real trains.

Celtic also used to have a station on their doorstep but it closed in 1964 after opening in 1897. There was nearby London Road station prior to this (closed 1895) but I'm not even sure if they played in the same location at that time. There was talk of reopening Parkhead Stadium station in time for the Commonwealth Games but it was thought better to do up Dalmarnock instead. There was also talk of using this branch as part of the proposed east end subway line but that's for another time...

image.thumb.png.9fef81e756ef2f5d3c0833a2216b928b.png

Edited by RawB93

2 hours ago, RawB93 said:

This may be for another thread but what makes the distinction?

In this case it's just that most of the track and stations were originally main lines and nothing's really changed other than management.

I agree if it's on rails it's a train, whether light or heavy or cruiserweight.

• 1 month later...

Taken before the Junior Cup match in November 2012 in which the home side Pumpherston took on the legends that are/were Inverness City.

I understand that much paint has been used since then on what was a slightly rustic appearance to the covered enclosure, with emphasis on rust. Visited Arniston Rangers not long after and they also sported the rustic look on their enclosure, a lot worse than Pumpherston. They had that look about them that could easily be from a Mad Max movie.

Pumpherston -

DSC00015.thumb.JPG.6c160380425d30f7e28df8c257ea2b7b.JPG

DSC00013.thumb.JPG.8b0b9cd856f4ca8f55501af656c62c6f.JPG

Arniston Rangers -

DSC00062.thumb.JPG.4e8eaa51ce0a40ab876f005ea1d823f9.JPG

I have no idea if the roof on that has been replaced since the photo was taken in 2013. I would hope so.

With much of the former juniors paying attention to improving their facilities and making the effort since the big move are there still grounds or part of grounds that still look like they could be used in a post apocalyptic movie?

Which ground has the rustiest enclosure, which stands most desperately need a coat of paint?

8 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

Taken before the Junior Cup match in November 2012 in which the home side Pumpherston took on the legends that are/were Inverness City.

I understand that much paint has been used since then on what was a slightly rustic appearance to the covered enclosure, with emphasis on rust. Visited Arniston Rangers not long after and they also sported the rustic look on their enclosure, a lot worse than Pumpherston. They had that look about them that could easily be from a Mad Max movie.

Pumpherston -

DSC00015.thumb.JPG.6c160380425d30f7e28df8c257ea2b7b.JPG

DSC00013.thumb.JPG.8b0b9cd856f4ca8f55501af656c62c6f.JPG

Arniston Rangers -

DSC00062.thumb.JPG.4e8eaa51ce0a40ab876f005ea1d823f9.JPG

I have no idea if the roof on that has been replaced since the photo was taken in 2013. I would hope so.

With much of the former juniors paying attention to improving their facilities and making the effort since the big move are there still grounds or part of grounds that still look like they could be used in a post apocalyptic movie?

Which ground has the rustiest enclosure, which stands most desperately need a coat of paint?

ar7.thumb.jpg.107abb0a4c7c0bc2e6e28d92f0892e38.jpg

ar11.thumb.jpg.a0b82793a01847ea6dbb8dec73be0b5a.jpg

ar12.thumb.jpg.86567a4903ffccd425666c1a39e7f47d.jpg

Arniston, November 2022. Nice graffito of a bunch of cherries.... 

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

ar7.thumb.jpg.107abb0a4c7c0bc2e6e28d92f0892e38.jpg

ar11.thumb.jpg.a0b82793a01847ea6dbb8dec73be0b5a.jpg

ar12.thumb.jpg.86567a4903ffccd425666c1a39e7f47d.jpg

Arniston, November 2022. Nice graffito of a bunch of cherries.... 

They've used some paint (two colours) and cut the grass so that has to be seen to be a step in the right direction, small steps.

I've been in the jungle behind the enclosure to retrieve match and practice balls and came back with more footballs than I observed disappear into the undergrowth. A kind of who's who of the South Division East Juniors, two from Edinburgh Utd, one from Dunbar, One from Livingston and West Calder all in one three minute search before I found the Arniston ball.

Surprised cause clubs don't like losing any footballs or any equipment, so no idea why no one tried harder. Maybe they took one look about  and just grabbed the first one they found and got out of there rapid, saying ''f**k that am no goin' back in there''.

15 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

They've used some paint (two colours) and cut the grass so that has to be seen to be a step in the right direction, small steps.

I've been in the jungle behind the enclosure to retrieve match and practice balls and came back with more footballs than I observed disappear into the undergrowth. A kind of who's who of the South Division East Juniors, two from Edinburgh Utd, one from Dunbar, One from Livingston and West Calder all in one three minute search before I found the Arniston ball.

Surprised cause clubs don't like losing any footballs or any equipment, so no idea why no one tried harder. Maybe they took one look about  and just grabbed the first one they found and got out of there rapid, saying ''f**k that am no goin' back in there''.

Edinburgh United will be round to your house for those balls! 

Edinburgh City borrowed City Park for a cup tie against Gala years ago and we were very upset to lose 2 balls in a jungle behind the ground- two balls at £60.00 a pop was not funny back then! 

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Edinburgh United will be round to your house for those balls! 

Edinburgh City borrowed City Park for a cup tie against Gala years ago and we were very upset to lose 2 balls in a jungle behind the ground- two balls at £60.00 a pop was not funny back then! 

I think I gave them to Pumpherston during half time. They probably gave them to the home side after the game but having lost 6-1 I doubt that was a priority. Utd can have a Clach practice ball which I found in the Ness if they want.

9 minutes ago, approximately dave said:

I think I gave them to Pumpherston during half time. They probably gave them to the home side after the game but having lost 6-1 I doubt that was a priority. Utd can have a Clach practice ball which I found in the Ness if they want.

Not just the wee clubs- I noticed Stranraer using a ball with "AAFC" written on it last season :lol:

When we played Clyde a month back they only had the one ball out, it was only after about the 6th time the ball went into the storage bit and the ballboy had to open a gate did the begrudgingly produced a second. 
What are the rule on minimum requirements, I know at boys level it’s 2, but surely it has to be higher at full time level?

Regretably I didn't take a photo of Gordon Park, Portgordon back in the days when Portgordon Victoria played there (thanks to NLS for the photo). I think there already is a few comments about the place further back in the thread.

Not exactly a remarkable ground on the edge of the village, next to houses on one side and a farmers field on the other. On a visit there to watch Inverness City play the home side I was told an amusing situation in which previously heavy rain had caused the ground from the field next door to pour onto the pitch and cover part of the corner. To get the match to go ahead garden tools needed to be sourced to unbury that corner of the pitch. Probably not for the first time. Another issue I observed on a dry windy day was sand blowing in from over where the A96 is. Sandstorms along the A96 who would have thought it. I've seen it happen near Nairn.

Gordon%20Park%20(Portgordon%20Victoria)1.JPG

Near neighbours Buckie Rovers (still in abeyance) who called Merson Park home. Photo from back in 2011, hasn't changed much since then and very open to the elements.

DSC00069.thumb.JPG.2fc947c6c2a420de1347f662ff3a0070.JPG

Pinefields, Elgin - New Elgin v Inverness City 13/12/2008 - before the field was fenced into two pitches. -

footballtravelsNov08toApr09002.thumb.jpg.8467d608a0c1fc59a5a7172664d3970b.jpg