Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

1.1 miles, I checked after @Dunning1874posted, but there is a shortcut I can't be bothered explaining, that would take a bit off it.

While I'm sure we all agree in principle with @Dunning1874's proposed legislation ways of deciding edge cases like this will need to be worked out in detail during the committee stage. 

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2022 at 11:55, VincentGuerin said:

... It also forces people into the situation of having to watch Scottish football sober, which just shouldn't happen in this day and age.

^^^ Fair point that, hard to argue with it ...

It’s an important issue, and one Saints fall well short on.  Even Muirton Park was 1.3 miles away from the station.

But surely there’s mitigating factors; for example walking from Perth train station to Muirton Park took you past a lot of pubs and eateries and plenty of entertainment opportunities.  This is world’s apart from a walk through industrial estates or busy roads of houses.  The trek from Waverley to Easter Road is over a mile, but is no hardship at all.

There needs to be a formula devised whereby number of yards distance is divided by number of pubs en route…

If the top league was to be established based on proximity of the nearest train station, what 12 teams would be in it?

19 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

There needs to be a formula devised whereby number of yards distance is divided by number of pubs en route…

By my reckoning, if you stopped for a pint in every pub en route from Dundee station to either football ground, by the time you reached the foot of the Hilltown you’d be convinced you actually were about to conquer the north face of the Eiger. 

Club Bar
Dynamo
Bank Bar
Trades House
Draffens (minor detour required)
Tickety Boo’s
Bertie Mooney’s
The Barellman
Brewdog
Ladywell Tavern

All before you begin the ascent. If you include hotels, you can add Sleeperz and Malmaison at the top of the list. 

Edited by The Master

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

If the top league was to be established based on proximity of the nearest train station, what 12 teams would be in it?

Motherwell, County, St. Mirren, Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath, Hearts? 

Seem to remember Starks Park being relatively close to the station but not 100% sure on that 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Motherwell, County, St. Mirren, Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath, Hearts? 

Seem to remember Starks Park being relatively close to the station but not 100% sure on that 

0.9 of a mile on foot.

Hamilton West is 0.6 ofa mile on foot to NDP.

Stirling train station to Forthbank is probably just under a mile I would estimate and probably a 20 minute walk or so, unfortunately no pubs to break up the journey, there was a Frankie and Benny's just over the bridge you walk over when exiting the railway station but that has been closed since the pandemic. 

There is a Brewers Fare type place just a 2 minute walk  frform the turnstiles, the imaginatively titled 'Springkerse View' , decent for a couple of pints, pretty standard for that type of thing although, personally I'm not overly impressed with the food in it to be honest. 

50 minutes ago, FTOF said:

486 feet from Paisley St.James to St.Mirren Park (SMISA stadium).

Our ground must be one of the few in the UK to being so close (circa 1mile) to 

- a main line railway station

- a major motorway 

- an international airport 

17 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Our ground must be one of the few in the UK to being so close (circa 1mile) to 

- a main line railway station

- a major motorway 

- an international airport 

Just need the A947 to be made into a motorway and Dyce FC will be laughing! 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Not especially. But if you're willing to attempt a death-defying leap from the train window as it goes past, you could cut the walking time to under 200 feet. If you're still able to walk, that is.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

By my reckoning, if you stopped for a pint in every pub en route from Dundee station to either football ground, by the time you reached the foot of the Hilltown you’d be convinced you actually were about to conquer the north face of the Eiger. 

Club Bar
Dynamo
Bank Bar
Trades House
Draffens (minor detour required)
Tickety Boo’s
Bertie Mooney’s
The Barellman
Brewdog
Ladywell Tavern

All before you begin the ascent. If you include hotels, you can add Sleeperz and Malmaison at the top of the list. 

You missing out Rad Apples because its a shit name? 

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Dumfries Station to Palmerston:

19 minutes' walk.  7 pubs en route.

That’s got to be up there.   If Queens got a season or two in the Premiership the novelty of it would have great away supports there and the town centre would make millions!!

I think of Tynecastle as being a decent walk in terms of pubs and food places, never feels that far.