Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

20 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Met this guy David Bauckham at Gala when he flew up,  from Sussex I think,  to write this INCREDIBLY DETAILED ARTICLE. Think it was his first time in Scotland and he was only there for the stand.

Whitehill kind of pissed on their chips that day.

I'm in one or two of his shots but just for a laugh I got one of him 😉
🔽🔽🔽

IMG_2701.thumb.jpeg.9bac4407f0c8987bd292cc33d8868f8c.jpeg

Really enjoyed that read, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Main stand at Dunoon Stadium currently home to the Cowal Highland games & Dunoon Amateurs of the Scottish Amateur Football League. Potential for the venue to be upgraded if the club wanted to step to senior level & join the WOSL.  The highland games thing might be an issue as Inverkeithing Swifts have had issues upgrading due to their Ballast Bank  ground also hosting caber tossing & the like.

800px-Dunoon_Stadium_%28geograph_6202146
DlboDCKW0AA_vLb?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Not really a quirk of a stadium, but, on Somerset Road there is a bit of tarmac with white chips.  When it was being laid someone put KFC in the corner in white chips. I appreciate this type of shithousery.

Ps. It's not a fried chicken advert.

On 27/08/2016 at 12:42, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Was speaking to my mate about the funnier quirks of some of our grounds in Scotland and we got talking about how at Alloa, unless you're playing Sevco, the fans change ends at half time too. And the fact that at certain games, there's a guy who works as a steward who'll let fans nip out to get something from KFC. So, what's yours?

Usually by the time I get back from Kilmarnock the game is finished and everyone has gone home and I'm totally breathless. 🤒

The angle of the press box had me confused as to how anyone could safely sit up there until I visited the museum years ago and of course it all made perfect sense then !

Remember the cloud of stoor that would float out of the Rangers end after Scotland scored ?
What the f*ck is the Rangers end?

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 21/12/2020 at 11:37, Jumbo Muir said:

The angle of the press box had me confused as to how anyone could safely sit up there until I visited the museum years ago and of course it all made perfect sense then !

Remember the cloud of stoor that would float out of the Rangers end after Scotland scored ?

What the f*ck is the Rangers end?

Wasn't that 2012?

17 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Main stand at Dunoon Stadium currently home to the Cowal Highland games & Dunoon Amateurs of the Scottish Amateur Football League. Potential for the venue to be upgraded if the club wanted to step to senior level & join the WOSL.  The highland games thing might be an issue as Inverkeithing Swifts have had issues upgrading due to their Ballast Bank  ground also hosting caber tossing & the like.

I guess it's a measure of how pished I've been, every time I've been at the Cowal Games, that I feel like I've never seen that stand in my life.

On 14/02/2021 at 16:34, Monkey Tennis said:

Kilbowie was a remarkable ground.

I used to enjoy going to Kilbowie. Easy to get to, train to Singer and a short walk to the ground. Great under the lights midweek. Not sure why I enjoyed it. It was usually raining and St Mirren always seemed to struggle there

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/10/2020 at 14:06, resk said:

Went to a handful of games at Allan Park over the years. There always seemed to be more folk behind the glass having a great time than in the rest of the ground (admittedly not unheard of in the Highland League....) and there didn't really seem to be much of a bump from the Dons being away from home - especially compared to last season.

It'a amazing what a step up to the national league can do, and possibly also the new ground, although the old one was probably better for amenities and access.

Cove always suffered from having Rangers in their name. I know people who live in Cove who refused to go watch them and nicknamed them Cove ****.

6 hours ago, Tartantony said:

While we’re on Clydebank, gates were open earlier when walking by Glenhead Park, couldn’t resist stopping to take a photo.

IMG_0515.thumb.jpg.8bfc618f0b8ce47394ddd565da8f9efe.jpg

I went there for a Clydebank game at the end of their first season as a resurrected club. There was a pile of stuff in one corner- might have been seats or even floodlights- as Clydebank had plans to improve Glenhead.

On 11/03/2021 at 15:04, GNU_Linux said:

Great effort in photoshopping out the continuous pishing rain there.

• 4 months later...
I used to enjoy going to Kilbowie. Easy to get to, train to Singer and a short walk to the ground. Great under the lights midweek. Not sure why I enjoyed it. It was usually raining and St Mirren always seemed to struggle there
I can still see Ken Eadie standing unmarked at the back post and Billy Davies running into the crowd behind the goal after scoring

24 minutes ago, Steve Finan said:

To be published in early November.
720 pages (two hardback books, 360 pages each) of never-before-seen photos of old Scottish football grounds. Mostly 1940s to 80s. Every club in the country is covered. 
Three years in the making, An awful lot of searching through old negatives in newspaper and magazine archives.
I've never enjoyed a project so much in my entire life.

LOTT2 lo.jpg

LOTT3lo.jpg

Surely worth it for the cover photo of LOTT3 alone. Kids getting wheeched up over the turnstile behind the police - just everything about it reeks of the time. Photographic thread for this masterpiece, please.

720 pages (two hardback books, 360 pages each) of never-before-seen photos of old Scottish football grounds. Mostly 1940s to 80s. Every club in the country is covered. 
Three years in the making, An awful lot of searching through old negatives in newspaper and magazine archives.
500030068_LOTT2lo.thumb.jpg.b0d6d27c0dbc89a5551202429e0b12d8.jpg
LOTT3lo.thumb.jpg.7f0dd6d415bf04d54d49cb58be349219.jpg
Congratulations! Loved the first one. You're assured of a sale to this house.

On 06/04/2021 at 00:01, tamthebam said:

I went there for a Clydebank game at the end of their first season as a resurrected club. There was a pile of stuff in one corner- might have been seats or even floodlights- as Clydebank had plans to improve Glenhead.

We spent a fortune on Glenhead, the Ams were run by a really nice old guy Douglas, he died and the arseholes in the committee after that threw us out essentially because they were jealous. Its sad to see how badly they’ve let the place run down, I helped dig out terracing behind the goal and put railway sleepers in etc, they’ve let it all grow over again and the place is a tip. 

500030068_LOTT2lo.thumb.jpg.b0d6d27c0dbc89a5551202429e0b12d8.jpg
LOTT3lo.thumb.jpg.7f0dd6d415bf04d54d49cb58be349219.jpg
Pretty sure the bottom picture is Somerset Park.