Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 26/07/2020 at 23:54, tamthebam said:

IMG_20190921_152730844.thumb.jpg.0d394f8a1b2ae6b8632d5e65eeee40e5.jpg

I'm so old I've stood in the crumbling terracing in the background. I remember seeing the fiery glow of a steelworks from it.

I had the pleasure of standing on it in 2003, it's the best view in the ground. I'm assuming that was one of of the last times it was used, considering their big cup draws are now moved to Airdrie or Hamilton. A real shame.

13 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

QPR.

Eta, I think that's West Ham, both had narrow space behind the goals.

QPR is mentioned on the scoreboard but that is Goodison Park in the OP's last picture. Everton in traditional blue and QPR look to be in a red and blacked hooped kit I recall from the 1980s. I'm  sure QPR's Lofthus Road ground had the same narrow space behind the goals as West Ham though.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Not a Scottish stadium I know but the net talk made me remember the old Park End stand looked brilliant. The small terrace then the high wall up to the seats. Superb.

F7CDA2EB-413B-45DE-B9C1-1B384B80AB1B.jpeg

Speaking as someone not good with heights, and used to nearly get a panic attack on the old terracing at Tannadice, I'd probably pass out if in the upper tier of that stand!

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Not a Scottish stadium I know but the net talk made me remember the old Park End stand looked brilliant. The small terrace then the high wall up to the seats. Superb.

F7CDA2EB-413B-45DE-B9C1-1B384B80AB1B.jpeg

Seeing as you have opened the topic up a bit! Can anywhere in Scotland match this for a quirky entrance?

oak-road-stand-entrance-luton-town.jpg

Ps. Apologies if it has been previously mentioned.

Edited by paulbrucerick

21 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I wonder which ground was the last to lose its square posts? I'm sure Cliftonhill had a set in the late 80s.

Square posts ..... the French have never forgiven Hampden for its square posts due to St Etienne losing 1-0 to Bayern Munich in the 1976 European Cup Final.  Twice the French hit the woodwork and twice the ball came back out, they always reckoned they would have scored with round posts.  It was such a big thing with St Etienne they even bought the old Hampden square posts for their museum - see BBC article .... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24501627

Poteaux Carrés: Saint-Etienne and the curse of the square crossbar

Those posts really are burned into the French psyche - 7 years ago I was in a joint venture with a French company and on the day of the first meeting the French manager said to me ...."you are from Scotland?  I'll never forget those damned square posts, it lost us the European Cup".  I said to him that I was at that game.  Wasn't a bad week really, saw the Rolling Stones at the Apollo on the Tuesday night, then the European Cup final on the Wednesday night - Glasgow extended its licensing hours specially for the French/German fans in the city on the Wednesday night (closing time in those days was something like 10pm and it was extended to 1 am IIRC) ..... Thursday was dreadful .... hangover from hell .... 😕

8 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Speaking as someone not good with heights, and used to nearly get a panic attack on the old terracing at Tannadice, I'd probably pass out if in the upper tier of that stand!

My sister and brother-in-law took me into that top deck stand to watch Everton v Leeds in September 1974. It was a fantastic game which ended 3-2 Everton, but I spent the entire match holding on to the back of my seat so that I wouldn’t fall out of the stand on to the pitch. I was terrified and only really appreciated the match after watching it on Match Of The Day that night.

19 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Seeing as you have opened the topic up a bit! Can anywhere in Scotland match this for a quirky entrance?

oak-road-stand-entrance-luton-town.jpg

Ps. Apologies if it has been previously mentioned.

That reminded me of the Bill Shankly quote: "If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."