Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

How it was planned to look with a development which I think was planned in 90's
firhillvision.jpg&key=487a58a372210c792dba14e54795ef8e38bf09589d4c207d2988fae997477f68

That’s amazing. To me it looks like an Italian ground for some reason. Why didn’t Partick finish the job? Did they just realise it would be too large?

It’s a shame that clubs haven’t got larger supports in this country as there are many grounds that would look great if completed. I’ve always imagined New Douglas Park would look incredible if it had the same type stands filling those empty ends. Inverness is another that would look great with a wee enclosure running along the pitch.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's  Starks. The hills in the background have been reclaimed by the sea.

Be fair to Flybhoy because;

a) he’s probably never been to Kirkcaldy

b) the photo doesn’t have a Celtic connection.

11 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Would be fantastic to play in that open setting. Reminds me of a pitch I played on in Lawrence, Kansas.

Burngrange was a very soggy pitch and nearly unplayable in winter. The rumour was at one point they lined the pitch with sawdust as the usual paint just washed off.. Burngrange Park is now houses and a doctor's surgery. Just below the ground in a cutting is the Edinburgh to Carstairs railway line. 

There was an open air gentleman's convenience where you peed into a stainless steel trough which was quite noisy! 

Cauther moved to a neat modern ground in the South East of the town on Hermand Road. The pitch up there is still quite soggy! 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Burngrange was a very soggy pitch and nearly unplayable in winter. The rumour was at one point they lined the pitch with sawdust as the usual paint just washed off.. Burngrange Park is now houses and a doctor's surgery. Just below the ground in a cutting is the Edinburgh to Carstairs railway line. 

There was an open air gentleman's convenience where you peed into a stainless steel trough which was quite noisy! 

Cauther moved to a neat modern ground in the South East of the town on Hermand Road. The pitch up there is still quite soggy! 

Interesting stuff. Have pics of the new ground? Cheers.

On 03/07/2020 at 01:43, JamesP_81 said:

If that pic doesn't do the slope justice how fu*kin bad is the slope?!!!

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an 8 foot difference from one end to the other.. It might not be quite as much as that but it is quite a severe slope. Great chicken and haggis pies at the ground though.

Edited by RedEd

13 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that the there was an 8 foot difference from one end to the other.. It might not be quite as much as that but it is quite a severe slope. Great chicken and haggis pies at the ground though.

This. I was quite surprised at the gradient.

14 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that there is an 8 foot difference from one end to the other.. It might not be quite as much as that but it is quite a severe slope. Great chicken and haggis pies at the ground though.

That explains everything. The slope is there to lure wild haggis onto the playing surface where they can be captured for use in the pies.

4 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

That explains everything. The slope is there to lure wild haggis onto the playing surface where they can be captured for use in the pies.

It's worth a trip for the pies.  The last time we played there we walked the pitch before the game and going up that hill in the second half would need some stamina.

If memory serves we shot up the slope in the first half and still got pumped.

33 minutes ago, RedEd said:

They used to say the slope at Easter Road was about 6ft. But taking the pitch as say 112yards, or 336 feet, if my sums are right that's only a gradient of 1 degree. So your 8ft might even be a conservative estimate, as I've been there and it does look pretty steep. Although the pitch will be a good bit shorter than Hibs.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Imagine smashing a goal kick along the ground that ended up hitting the bar at the other end. 

15 hours ago, Flash said:

Imagine smashing a goal kick along the ground that ended up hitting the bar at the other end. 

It certainly fits the brief of being quirky. It's still fairly obvious where the stand was but there is a housing estates where the factories etc stood.

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

What smaller stadiums have the best atmosphere? Anything under 12K capacity or non-OF/Edinburgh clubs/Aberdeen here.

St. Mirren? 

Fir Park, Motherwell, Well boys can make some noise. Depends heavily match to match in Scotland. Tannadice can be bouncing somedays and shite on others.

and RE: Pink kits, some clubs have Pink away kits from time to time. United had one a few years ago, they're never that popular. Ayr's 2020-21 away kit is a banger though. Maglie Calcio Ayr United 2020 2021 seconda – maglie calcio ...

3 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Fir Park, Motherwell, Well boys can make some noise. Depends heavily match to match in Scotland. Tannadice can be bouncing somedays and shite on others.

and RE: Pink kits, some clubs have Pink away kits from time to time. United had one a few years ago, they're never that popular. Ayr's 2020-21 away kit is a banger though. Maglie Calcio Ayr United 2020 2021 seconda – maglie calcio ...

Appreciate it. Would like to make it to a Dundee derby some time. What's the atmosphere like at Dens (and are they still planning on building a new stadium elsewhere in town?)?

Dig that Ayr away kit.

8 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Appreciate it. Would like to make it to a Dundee derby some time. What's the atmosphere like at Dens (and are they still planning on building a new stadium elsewhere in town?)?

Dig that Ayr away kit.

Yeah that stadium isn't happening.  Tbh it was never really on the cairds, the site wouldn't have worked for any number of reasons.  Should they get back into the top flight at some point, then I do hope they redevelop it, as at the minute if they qualified for Europe (don't laugh) they'd probably have to play games at Tannadice, as Dens is miles off a UEFA Grade 4 License. There's also plenty scope and space to do work (such as a new stand) on the South side of the ground.

On derby day it's a class atmosphere. However, due to the way Dens is built it doesn't really lend itself to a great atmosphere, although if the Dee are playing well the Derry (the small enclosure) can create some noise,

Edited by ArabAuslander

53 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Yeah that stadium isn't happening.  Tbh it was never really on the cairds, the site wouldn't have worked for any number of reasons.  Should they get back into the top flight at some point, then I do hope they redevelop it, as at the minute if they qualified for Europe (don't laugh) they'd probably have to play games at Tannadice, as Dens is miles off a UEFA Grade 4 License. There's also plenty scope and space to do work (such as a new stand) on the South side of the ground.

On derby day it's a class atmosphere. However, due to the way Dens is built it doesn't really lend itself to a great atmosphere, although if the Dee are playing well the Derry (the small enclosure) can create some noise,

I've always thought Dundee's main stand was an odd design, with the centre being further from the pitch than the ends. I know it's because it follows the line of the street outside but surely it wouldn't have been that difficult to make the inside edge parallel to the pitch.

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

I've always thought Dundee's main stand was an odd design, with the centre being further from the pitch than the ends. I know it's because it follows the line of the street outside but surely it wouldn't have been that difficult to make the inside edge parallel to the pitch.

It's a Listed Building (and one of Archibald Leitch's last remaining stands) so don't see how they could do that. Their best bet would be to redevelop the Derry Side and build a new Main Stand that held ca. 5,000. The old Main Stand could be carefully changed into a mix of offices and hospitality and media positions.