Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

2 hours ago, realmadrid said:

Plus with the addition of the new pitches behind the space for the 4th stand it will now possibly never be built.

There's still plenty of room for one. 

A completed 10,000 seater Falkirk Stadium would look tremendous - perfect for us back in the premier...

20 hours ago, sjc said:

A Muirton Park style covered terrace would look fantastic there imo....

1411026203_images(13).jpeg.225697121175094fbce4575f45caed71.jpeg

Loved that ground.  The only downside was standing at the fence giving w****r signs to someone and then going for a pish to see him standing next to you.  I was 15 and shit myself when I saw a guy I had been giving it the come ahead sign to standing two along from me.  Dodgy perth b*****ds probably built it like that on purpose...

Edited by HooseLee

11 hours ago, GordonD said:

Speaking of Motherwell, am I right in remembering that when the stand behind the goal was first built, they tried to recoup some of the money up front by offering away fans the chance to buy tickets for their clubs' games at Fir Park for the next three seasons at a reduced rate? I think they were almost universally told to GTF as nothing had been said about a refund if the teams were in different divisions in the time covered.

It was specifically Rangers and Celtic IIRC (other 'Well fans might have better/different memories). They sent a seriously cringey letter to OF supporters' clubs trying to sell them some sort of debenture scheme - crackpot stuff that was an utter failure.

1 hour ago, HooseLee said:

Loved that ground.  The only downside was standing at the fence giving w****r signs to someone and then going for a pish to see him standing next to you.  I was 15 and shit myself when I saw a guy I had been giving it the come ahead sign to standing two along from me.  Dodgy perth b*****ds probably built it like that on purpose...

Menaced by Stuart Cosgrove...! :lol:

31 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

He's far too auld for that, and the guy was built like a semi professional grouse beater.   If it was him, I'd ask tam Cowan to get him the next time they do off the ball.  Tam does post here, I just can't remember which of  you is him.  Cosgrove was part of the perth pact though.  I think that's what they called themselves.  We called them twats 

48 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Is cosgrove not more flat pack than perth pack now?  Anyone could put him flat on his back the age he is now.   It would be like fighting one of Cowan's jokes.  Well past it. 

Edited by HooseLee

My first ever football game attended live was a Clydebank game in 1994 when I was about 5 years old. I got took to Clydebank shopping centre with my aunt and uncle, but must have been annoying them as my uncle decided to take me to the game while my aunt went shopping. It might be my young mind playing tricks but I always remember the stadium as being sunken down below ground level, with large mounds of earth round the stands.  I’ve went and looked at pictures of the stadium on google but it’s hard to judge from them. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

My first ever football game attended live was a Clydebank game in 1994 when I was about 5 years old. I got took to Clydebank shopping centre with my aunt and uncle, but must have been annoying them as my uncle decided to take me to the game while my aunt went shopping. It might be my young mind playing tricks but I always remember the stadium as being sunken down below ground level, with large mounds of earth round the stands.  I’ve went and looked at pictures of the stadium on google but it’s hard to judge from them. 

IIRC Kilbowie was in a bit of a hollow. The road at one end seemed to be higher up than you would have expected.

I don't remember mounds of earth, Kilbowie was quite a neat stadium with bench seats on the terraces. 

The Clydebank area was heavily bombed in WW2 and there was a rumour that a bomb crater in the middle of the pitch had been filled in using a wrecked double decker bus. I don't think they found one when the ground was cleared for redevelopment but it was a nice myth.

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

IIRC Kilbowie was in a bit of a hollow. The road at one end seemed to be higher up than you would have expected.

I don't remember mounds of earth, Kilbowie was quite a neat stadium with bench seats on the terraces. 

The Clydebank area was heavily bombed in WW2 and there was a rumour that a bomb crater in the middle of the pitch had been filled in using a wrecked double decker bus. I don't think they found one when the ground was cleared for redevelopment but it was a nice myth.

It’s just one of these things I remember, maybe the fact I was about 2 feet tall might have exaggerated it. Going by the pictures on google it looked a cracking stadium, that was my one and only visit to it.

I remember years later going to a Clydebank game at Dumbartons old stadium I think. Clydebank were sponsored by Wet Wet Wet at the time. 

On my last visit to Kilbowie I was able to pay at the boys gate. I was 21 at the time albeit peely wally and stick thin.

It is therefore my fault that Clydebank went to the wall because I did them out of a fiver 

5 hours ago, tamthebam said:

On my last visit to Kilbowie I was able to pay at the boys gate. I was 21 at the time albeit peely wally and stick thin.

It is therefore my fault that Clydebank went to the wall because I did them out of a fiver 

Wasn't it like Meadowbank in having one gate for boys and women? That would explain it.

Edited by GordonD

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

Wasn't it like Meadowbank in having one gate for boys and women? That would explain it.

I don't think I would have been mistaken for a woman*. Not even in Clydebank. 

*OK, there was that one time in Bangkok. I was young, I needed the money and there was a rumour you were a big tipper...

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I don't think I would have been mistaken for a woman*. Not even in Clydebank. 

*OK, there was that one time in Bangkok. I was young, I needed the money and there was a rumour you were a big tipper...

What, one of these?

tipper.thumb.jpg.7069b7953bc05f3e32cc439534629902.jpg

On 10/04/2020 at 14:05, tamthebam said:

The ground where the bus was allegedly buried was Glenhead in nearby Duntocher.  It was where Duntocher Hibs  played.  When they folded it was taken over by Drumchapel Amateurs who then resurrected the Duntocher name for  a few seasons. When Clydebank reformed as a Junior  club they played there before moving to Yoker. 

The sign and balcony at Meadow Park that look as if they have been there since about 1937.   49768151931_6d26cdf64a_c.jpg&key=e1da3a4cc1d374df77df3f1635338d98d6687154de1793ec8ad208ee161712c2

Also the traffic cones up at Mosset Park are all Forres yellow.  Attention to detail.

The stand was built in the 60’s 

There used to be a flight of stairs from the balcony down into the clubhouse but that was bricked up because it was always getting broken into.

The stand now needs substantial investment so it survives another 50 years.

The sign, aye it’s been around for a few decades. I’m sure it used to be above the door in the old pavilion opposite the main stand.

50 minutes ago, .Stuart. said:

The stand was built in the 60’s

There used to be a fight of stairs from the balcony down into the clubhouse but that was bricked up because it was always getting broken into.

The stand now needs substantial investment so it survives another 50 years.

The sign, aye it’s been around for a few decades. I’m sure it used to be above the door in the old pavilion opposite the main stand.

Well, it is the Ayrshire Juniors , after all