Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:53, Andy_K_97 said:

Can't speak for Hearts but our away end at RP changed in the 1990s with the stadium redevelopment. The away end used to be at the Dundonald Road side of the ground but is at the Rugby Road (Chadwick Stand) end these days. Don't really know why they changed it but if you see old pics and vids of the ground in the 80s and early 90s you can see that's the case.

Reason Fleeting gave at the time was due to the sun shinning in that end in the afternoon and therefore, moving meant the home fans had a better view.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:23, wintonfan said:

nope it was because the main access and turnstiles for the east stand was changed to dundonald road due to there being more space, also the main access for the main stand was fron dundonald road.... then chairmen muppet gave the old firm the moffat stand to the old firm as well as the chadwick and segregating the fans outside the ground went out the window

Might have been an element in that but I remember BF saying the sunlight was the main issue.

On 22/10/2019 at 23:53, Andy_K_97 said:

The away end used to be at the Dundonald Road side of the ground

In the late 70s and early 80s when we played Rangers and Celtic we were given the Dundonald Road side fo the terracing.  I think the fans  complained about it and it was swapped back to the Rugby Road side later on.  

Another eBay postcard.

(In case anybody is wondering, I don't collect postcards. I do collect books about Edinburgh and recently bought a couple on eBay. However this means I get sent e-mails drawing my attention to "similar items" and apparently a Glasgow postcard is similar to an Edinburgh book. 😲

Hampden 2.jpg

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

Another eBay postcard.

(In case anybody is wondering, I don't collect postcards. I do collect books about Edinburgh and recently bought a couple on eBay. However this means I get sent e-mails drawing my attention to "similar items" and apparently a Glasgow postcard is similar to an Edinburgh book. 😲

Hampden 2.jpg

WTF is with the bloke levitating?

image.png.be6c8a946a96ec5ad63ee4241707c5ea.png

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

Looks like it's almost in the countryside with those house free rolling hills in the background.

historic_roam.thumb.png.6efbe78ebe41417a90c5a374af642c57.png
Kind of was. This 1910 map shows the photo is looking out to Castlemilk which consisted of  one big house then. Cathkin in there as well.

Edited by thisal

On 14/11/2019 at 17:29, GordonD said:

Another eBay postcard.

Hampden 2.jpg

There's an old artist's impression of the place as it would have looked in 1903 when the place opened that's been fancified to make it look as if there's some weird tower in the middle of the main stand. As it is, I can't find said picture right now but will edit this if I come across it. Edwardian opulence at it's finest!

The turnstiles here were rebuilt in 1909 following the first Hampden riot. 1909 is the only year outwith the two world wars whereby the Scottish Cup was not awarded to anyone on account of Rangers and Celtic fans smashing the place up together. Rumours are that both sets of fans were unhappy that the clubs were secretly agreeing to draw matches in order to make more money from the gates at the replays. The original match ended a draw, as did the replay - a brief show of unity then broke out from both sets of fans and they caused over £1000 of damage to the ground, quite a bit of cash in those days. The turnstiles were rebuilt to look like battlements in order to make the place look like a metaphorical fortress to fans and opposition teams alike.

Old+Photograph+Hampden+Park+Glasgow+Scot

19 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

WTF is with the bloke levitating?

image.png.be6c8a946a96ec5ad63ee4241707c5ea.png

1168016.jpg?b64lines=IFNvLCB1aCwgeW91IGR

• 4 weeks later...
On 22 October 2019 at 22:05, Flybhoy said:

What used to be the away end at Tynecastle, now the Gorgie Stand.

Any jambos know the reasons why the away section switched ends when the ground was redeveloped in the 1990's?

IMG_20191022_220315.jpg

IMG_20191022_220323.jpg

IMG_20191022_220328.jpg

If you go back far enough (pre segregation) that was the home end.

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 23/10/2019 at 09:55, Austin McCann said:

I think it was to suit the parking of supporters buses on Russell Road. Makes sense not to have the away fans walking through the home support.

On top of that, it's logistically far easier for the police to funnel away fans down McLeod Street away from the home support.  I think they also block off Murchieston Crescent so there's no route for away fans back up to Dalry Road.

By the time you get to the Roseburn Bar even the coked up arseholes are generally too cold and wet to consider some pavement dancing.

The old days when the home and away support used to pour into Gorgie Road at the same time were chaotic.