Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:33, Flybhoy said:

Another Hampden picture, the 1969 Scottish Cup Final, check out the size of that crowd.

Easy to forget that, for years Hampden was the envy of the world, mainly due to the vast crowds it could accommodate, as opposed to the fucking embarrassment of a national stadium it is now. 

FB_IMG_1571477267380.jpg

Note how many people have a free seat on the grass behind the goal.

50 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Easy to forget that, for years Hampden was the envy of the world, mainly due to the vast crowds it could accommodate, as opposed to the fucking embarrassment of a national stadium it is now. 

And we have a team to match.

Looks like either 1990/91 or 1991/92 judging by the strip, can't see if there's the claret band with Motorola or plain with Ian Skelly 

Played there in the BP Youth Cup v Motherwell must have been around 1990.

Cuffed 0-6 in the process. Always wanted to find out who was in their team that night but have been unable to find anything online.

On 16/09/2019 at 21:03, paul wright scores said:

Looks like it is against us, so I will be in that crowd somewhere -  - I think John Bourke is at the edge of the box.

If it is the late 80s is it the game we beat them 1 nil to avoid relegation (for 1 season) when Jim Gilmour scored?

John Burke was my PE teacher. He married my English teacher and let me tell you he was punching way, way, way above his weight there.

On 11/10/2019 at 17:31, Flybhoy said:

Fir Park before the stands went up behind either goal, sometime in the 1980's methinks. 

IMG_20191011_172924.jpg

IMG_20191011_172926.jpg

IMG_20191011_172928.jpg

In 1987 I got food poisoning from a pie from that stall at the back of the terrace. I'll never forgive them.

On 21/10/2019 at 07:17, Salvo Montalbano said:
On 20/10/2019 at 23:36, standman said:
At Arbroath you can still walk around the ground and change ends at half time

Not when the police insist on having segregation for no reason whatsoever.

That stupid massive double fence thing ruins what should be the best ground of its size in the country. It takes up the prime spot at the back of the terrace on the halfway line and blocks the views for a considerable distance either side. If they really, really need a fence could they not put it in a corner?

That stupid massive double fence thing ruins what should be the best ground of its size in the country. It takes up the prime spot at the back of the terrace on the halfway line and blocks the views for a considerable distance either side. If they really, really need a fence could they not put it in a corner?

It’s not ideal, and annoying when we have to give teams like Montrose half the ground for 200 fans, but it’ll be needed when United and Dundee come this season.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

What used to be the away end at Tynecastle, now the Gorgie Stand.

Any jambos know the reasons why the away section switched ends when the ground was redeveloped in the 1990's?

Can't speak for Hearts but our away end at RP changed in the 1990s with the stadium redevelopment. The away end used to be at the Dundonald Road side of the ground but is at the Rugby Road (Chadwick Stand) end these days. Don't really know why they changed it but if you see old pics and vids of the ground in the 80s and early 90s you can see that's the case.

3 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

It’s not ideal, and annoying when we have to give teams like Montrose half the ground for 200 fans, but it’ll be needed when United and Dundee come this season.

Personally I don't think grown ups should need a fence, and any who do shouldn't be allowed in a football ground ever again. It's such a shame, it's the perfect covered terrace otherwise.

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Personally I don't think grown ups should need a fence, and any who do shouldn't be allowed in a football ground ever again. It's such a shame, it's the perfect covered terrace otherwise.

Agree on the ‘shouldn’t need a fence argument’, but even if it’s considered necessarily it’s they have been implemented far better at other grounds, yes they still hamper views, but they don’t completely block out everything like the one at gayfield. 

Edited by parsforlife

Can't speak for Hearts but our away end at RP changed in the 1990s with the stadium redevelopment. The away end used to be at the Dundonald Road side of the ground but is at the Rugby Road (Chadwick Stand) end these days. Don't really know why they changed it but if you see old pics and vids of the ground in the 80s and early 90s you can see that's the case.
That was to do with the prevailing wind and achance of getting soaked in the bottom tier I'm sure.

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

What used to be the away end at Tynecastle, now the Gorgie Stand.

Any jambos know the reasons why the away section switched ends when the ground was redeveloped in the 1990's?

IMG_20191022_220315.jpg

IMG_20191022_220323.jpg

IMG_20191022_220328.jpg

I think it was to suit the parking of supporters buses on Russell Road. Makes sense not to have the away fans walking through the home support.

8 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:
15 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

That was to do with the prevailing wind and achance of getting soaked in the bottom tier I'm sure.

nope it was because the main access and turnstiles for the east stand was changed to dundonald road due to there being more space, also the main access for the main stand was fron dundonald road.... then chairmen muppet gave the old firm the moffat stand to the old firm as well as the chadwick and segregating the fans outside the ground went out the window

Main stand at Kynoch Park home of Highland League club Keith FC. On a non-ground quirk note the club have a player called Cammy Keith who'se been with the club for 10 years.

keith02.png

Home Park the home of EOS club Coldstream is situated within a public park so it's possible to walkthrough the ground on non-match days.

coldstream08.JPG

coldstream14.png
coldstream16.png

Lorimier Park in Sanqhuar home of South Of Scotland League club Nithsdale Wanderers is another ground with an athletics track

nithsdale07.png

nithsdale02.png

Another not yet mentioned ground with an athletics track is Ravenscraig the home of Greenock Juniors which saw use during the commonwealth games in 2014. Main stand is a bit quirky as well.

greenock08.png

greenock11.png
greenock07.png

Edited by GNU_Linux

32 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Main stand at Kynoch Park home of Highland League club Keith FC. On a non-ground quirk note the club have a player called Cammy Keith who'se been with the club for 10 years.

keith02.png

Home Park the home of EOS club Coldstream is situated within a public park so it's possible to walkthrough the ground on non-match days.

coldstream08.JPG

coldstream14.png
coldstream16.png

Lorimier Park in Sanqhuar home of South Of Scotland League club Nithsdale Wanderers is another ground with an athletics track

nithsdale07.png

nithsdale02.png

Another not yet mentioned ground with an athletics track is Ravenscraig the home of Greenock Juniors which saw use during the commonwealth games in 2014. Main stand is a bit quirky as well.

greenock08.png

greenock11.png
greenock07.png

That's a decent stand.  Would put a few senior spfl clubs to shame!

I think it was to suit the parking of supporters buses on Russell Road. Makes sense not to have the away fans walking through the home support.

I think I remember reading at the time that this was actually the second switch and that the Gorgie Road was the original Hearts End from way, way back in the day.

The construction of “the shed” in 1959 would have prompted the first one

I think I remember reading at the time that this was actually the second switch and that the Gorgie Road was the original Hearts End from way, way back in the day.

The construction of “the shed” in 1959 would have prompted the first one

I guess depending circumstance some clubs re-development the away end first since that was the end in the worst state. Fairly common just before all seaters came in for clubs to have a covered terrace(home) and uncovered(away)

Makes abit more sense to re-develop the uncovered end first, only moving away fans whilst keeping home fans under cover then move the home fans into the brand new stand than to knock down the covered end and force home fans into the uncovered section for a year

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 20:03, GordonS said:

John Burke was my PE teacher. He married my English teacher and let me tell you he was punching way, way, way above his weight there.

In 1987 I got food poisoning from a pie from that stall at the back of the terrace. I'll never forgive them.

John Bourke is a great guy and a decent golfer!

Played at a few golf days with him.