Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

The East Terrace/Kings Park/Celtic end of Hampden was the biggest in world football at one point, this picture, from the 1970's I believe shows it before the rear section was 'shaved' off.

FB_IMG_1563656481784.jpg

I miss those "mighty erections" - stand roof based lights are shite. 

Just now, tamthebam said:

Off the top of my head, QOS and Ayr United still have them do they not? Although it's been about 20 years since ive visited either ground

1 minute ago, Flybhoy said:

Off the top of my head, QOS and Ayr United still have them do they not? Although it's been about 20 years since ive visited either ground

Ayr swapped theirs for 'lamp posts' a few years ago, they had to play some games at Cappielow due to some f**k up.

1 minute ago, Zen Archer said:

Ayr swapped theirs for 'lamp posts' a few years ago, they had to play some games at Cappielow due to some f**k up.

Pretty sure it was only one game against Raith. 3-0 win in front of hardly anybody!

Edited by paulbrucerick

28 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

And the North Terrace is gone as Hampden undergoes a partial redevelopment in 1992

FB_IMG_1563832227119.jpg

That's news too me, I've always thought they just seated the old terracing's, I suppose Hampden was pretty 

alien to us St Mirren fans during the 90s..

And the North Terrace is gone as Hampden undergoes a partial redevelopment in 1992
FB_IMG_1563832227119.jpg.7e084c1b5ff97b4708422ab48b4e3dd4.jpg
That's a photo of the South Stand area after the old stand had been demolished. The West Terracing is to the right.

The give away is that had it been the North Stand you would see the tenements on Somerville Drive and the streets rising up behind it towards Cathkin.

The street in the background here is Mount Annan Drive, looking towards King's Park.

I always understood that there had been no demolition involved in converting the old terraces to seated.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

As I've said before, when going to a ground for the first time the sight of floodlight pylons on the horizon was a good sign that you were getting close.

2 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

That's a photo of the South Stand area after the old stand had been demolished. The West Terracing is to the right.

The give away is that had it been the North Stand you would see the tenements on Somerville Drive and the streets rising up behind it towards Cathkin.

...not to mention the car park is there too.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

...not to mention the car park is there too.

50 minutes ago, thisal said:

south stand surely.

My bad, just going by the (incorrect) caption on the old Scottish Football Facebook page I saw it on. 

5 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The street in the background here is Mount Annan Drive, looking towards King's Park.

I always understood that there had been no demolition involved in converting the old terraces to seated.

That's what I thought when I seen the pic. Houses are far in the distance, while at the North Terrace the tenements are almost on top of it.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

My bad, just going by the (incorrect) caption on the old Scottish Football Facebook page I saw it on. 

Another forum I frequent has an obscenity filter that replaces 'My bad' with 'Mistake'. Mods, can we have this here please?

Celtic Park, sometime in the 1970's, taken roughly from where the standing section is now, you can make out the top of the old London Road school building in the background which was the ticket office up until about ten years ago when it was demolished as part of the refurbishment of the approaches to the stadium. 

FB_IMG_1564137471523.jpg