Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

101634036_grangemouthstadium6.thumb.jpg.f28f73ad6785b155fc14be9bee44e1a6.jpg

932034770_grangemouthstadium7.thumb.jpg.a6607d62af39e3e544d0104ff9673650.jpg

I've seen 3 different teams play there- Meadowbank Thistle (v Stenny in a PSF), Edinburgh City (v Airdrie in a PSF) and Falkirk Juniors. Bizarrely enough I also saw Pumpherston Juniors score 10 (TEN) goals against Falkirk Juniors there..! 
The strange quirk about Grangemouth is the lights are mounted under the roof instead of on top. And they're a funny colour. (photo is Falkirk Juniors v Dunbar United)

I felt sorry for Falkirk Juniors- I think they were a vanity project for someone who got involved with an amateur team but they were fairly friendly and had some good volunteers. No-one went to watch them though. 

FJFC - formed by players / former players to give them a club to play at. A bit like amateur teams in that respect. And also that the club often folds when the players move on. And they did.

On 29/06/2019 at 21:44, johnnydun said:

Stolen from the Brechin thread.

Not so much a quirk but a work of art at Glebe park.

8accef06-e0dc-4b02-8a0c-daec941403e3.thumb.jpg.c98f6df853e26e64c2cd34bb954d0eba.jpg

An air of the Argentina '78 logo about that one.

Do Brechin also own the strip of land to the right of the photo?  It looks like it's been maintained with similar love and care.

I love Forthbank  The way the terracing behind each goal is kind of box-like and doesn't run all the way to the stand looks pretty cool IMO.

image.jpeg.3eae75f3c8fe1fa2bb2ac66af48ba2e9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
An air of the Argentina '78 logo about that one.
Do Brechin also own the strip of land to the right of the photo?  It looks like it's been maintained with similar love and care.

Isn't that a graveyard?

That's a Hell of a lot of unmarked graves.

Unless my eyesight is even worse than I thought.

There is a graveyard next to Glebe Park, but it might be nearer the covered terrace end. I just assumed that it was land that they owned as a menorial garden or some such or maybe for future use but a quick look on Google Maps suggests a distillery and a nature reserve are over that side.

On 30/06/2019 at 03:44, johnnydun said:

Stolen from the Brechin thread.

Not so much a quirk but a work of art at Glebe park.

8accef06-e0dc-4b02-8a0c-daec941403e3.thumb.jpg.c98f6df853e26e64c2cd34bb954d0eba.jpg

Sorry to disappoint everyone but that has been photo shopped to f**k.

This is the the correct photo for Glebe Park.

Warrior.jpg

5 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There is a graveyard next to Glebe Park, but it might be nearer the covered terrace end. I just assumed that it was land that they owned as a menorial garden or some such or maybe for future use but a quick look on Google Maps suggests a distillery and a nature reserve are over that side.

Graveyard is behind the goal at the bottom of the pic. Strip of grass behind the hedge is their training pitch.

5 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Graveyard is behind the goal at the bottom of the pic. Strip of grass behind the hedge is their training pitch.

I remember running through the graveyard after spending too long in the Social Club.

31 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I remember running through the graveyard after spending too long in the Social Club.

I remember being "shown" a way through a hedge my mate claimed took us into the ground. We crawled through into those garages at the back.

I was at that game as well, think it was probably Coyle's first season so the summer of 2005. In through the main reception and out into the stand. Teams sitting around on the pitch at half-time.
Aye that sounds right. I genuinely couldn't think what year but felt it was probably the First Division days so would be about right. I think Saints won 7-1 or something like that.

Glebe Park is superb. There are quirks all over the place, from the very narrow sidelines and the biggest stand being essentially at the away end to the old Main Stand with glass side screens and the changing room building next door. Add in the cranked terracing cover and the hedge and you have an all time classic.

IMG_0849.jpg

Quirky stadiums should always have Grocers’ Apostrophes

Roof going on the Celtic end at CP, late 1950's, the board, in true penny pinching style ensuring it only covered approximately one quarter of the back of  the terracing. 

IMG_20190705_175303.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy