Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

I've been told by quite a few folk in the know that the 4th stand hasn't been built because it's within the blast zone of a major incident at Grangemouth Chemicals. The rest of the stadium and the line that marks the boundary goes through it.

That's nonsense. My hubby worked in petrochemical risk management and there is no way the over-pressure zone extends to the Falkirk Stadium, or even close.

leitch designed the old barrel roof stand at rugby park which was rebuilt in the 60's, the earth banking could possibly be attributed to him as can the crush barriers in the above photo. there used to be tens of thousands of those barriers in grounds, 1 remains in the museum at hampden.

in the late 19th centuary if clubs had space they built bowl shaped grounds like ibrox, hampden, parkhead, rugby park etc, if they didnt it was rectangular

leitch designed the old barrel roof stand at rugby park which was rebuilt in the 60's, the earth banking could possibly be attributed to him as can the crush barriers in the above photo. there used to be tens of thousands of those barriers in grounds, 1 remains in the museum at hampden.
in the late 19th centuary if clubs had space they built bowl shaped grounds like ibrox, hampden, parkhead, rugby park etc, if they didnt it was rectangular

I think I read somewhere that the bowl terracing was built by Italian POWs. I could be wrong.

19 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

I think I read somewhere that the bowl terracing was built by Italian POWs. I could be wrong.

You could well be right about that - I don't know myself though. As RP was commandeered by the army during WWII and used as a munitions dump it wouldn't surprise me if they had used PoWs to get the place back up to scratch for fitba after the war was over.

44%20Rugby%20Park%20War.jpg

Here's Tommy McLean posing with a fitba. My guess as to the ground would be Dens due to the floodlight pylons in the background, my hypothesis being that they're in the right position to be the Tannadice lights.

6004b6ab88ec5bccce1addbbf86dcf71.jpg 

5 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Here's Tommy McLean posing with a fitba. My guess as to the ground would be Dens due to the floodlight pylons in the background, my hypothesis being that they're in the right position to be the Tannadice lights.

6004b6ab88ec5bccce1addbbf86dcf71.jpg 

Aye, looks like the away end behind him.

On 17/06/2019 at 16:06, killiepiemuncher said:

it was built up on the east side, the jonnie walker or dundonald road end roof was built pre ww2

• 2 weeks later...

It's a tidy wee ground Forthbank, if a little soulless. But then I suppose that could be said for most newer grounds.  For a smaller ground, at least they made the effort to put an area for fans on all four sides which is a big plus for me. Can understand the cost restrictions, but single stand efforts at the likes of New Bayview and Dumbarton are pretty shite. Even New Douglas Park with just the two.

Think Forthbank would have been a lot better if the two terraces had been the full width and curved round to join the stands.  They feel a bit remote.

Always found it strange how little attention, support and success Stirling Albion have, given how it's a fairly significant Scottish town. Not far off the size of Perth, Kirkcaldy, Dunfermline, Kilmarnock, Motherwel, Ayr, Falkirk etc, I wouldn't have thought.

12 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

glenrothes02.jpg

glenrothes01.jpg

Stand at Warout Stadium home of EOS club Glenrothes is a delightful piece of new town brutalism

Not unlike Dam Park in Ayr. Home of Whitletts Vics(for just now). Some say Eastern Bloc! I say minimalist delight.

JS124708135.jpg

11258446403_af73f07eaf_b.jpg

Edited by paulbrucerick

that stand at dam park is a listed building yet the leitch designed stand at somerset park isnt.... suppose the weathered grey concrete gives it character, unlike the roof which in the event of any wind with the rain is bloody useless