Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 09/04/2019 at 00:17, Monkey Tennis said:

I read somewhere that ours were the tallest remaining.

The Dens Park ones looked pretty massive last time I looked in January though.

What's the deal with Tannadice having "a couple"?  It sounds a lot like my version of Subbuteo, acquired at Christmas 1977.

I had to climb those floodlights at Dens back in 1993 for a structural survey. Middle of winter, no gloves and no fall arrest system what could possibly have gone wrong?!

East End used to have big pylons like that. You can see a couple of them in the photo below, alongside one of their replacements. The old ones were removed and replaced when the stadium was (sadly) made all seater in the late 90s.

Eep23.JPG.a94f54d51f7cd44d53f47d2b4a95af20.JPG

East End used to have big pylons like that. You can see a couple of them in the photo below, alongside one of their replacements. The old ones were removed and replaced when the stadium was (sadly) made all seater in the late 90s.
Do you have any photos of a similar vintage showing the seated North Stand and the old covered West Terrace that curved round to join it?

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Do you have any photos of a similar vintage showing the seated North Stand and the old covered West Terrace that curved round to join it?

Eep1-1.JPG.f5ba56872c31bfd0087bf911c23bf538.JPG

On 09/04/2019 at 09:41, TheScarf said:

Found this picture of the old Bayview in Methil.  This was the terrace I stood on as a 13 year old in August 1998 to watch the veteran Duncan Shearer and the young Martin Bavidge put East Fife to the sword in a 5-1 victory.

Image result for old bayview methil

4 months later we were back in Methil at New Bayview to see East Fife beat us 3-2 with absolute mentalist Paul Cherry getting sent off for the 165th time in his career.

Edit - Just checked Wiki and our scorers that day were Paul Sheerin,  Dunc Shearer,  the mentalist Paul Cherry,  Martin Bavidge and Mick Teasdale.  We had Charlie Christie and Barry Wilson playing that day too.  Some team.

I remember getting taken to a midweek game at Methil by my St. Mirren supporting uncle when I was about 8 years old. The reason it was so memorable is because it felt like it was about minus 15 and at half time I kicked a guys boiling hot Bovril over by mistake which burnt my foot. I think we stood beside the far corner flag you can see in that picture. 

16 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I remember getting taken to a midweek game at Methil by my St. Mirren supporting uncle when I was about 8 years old. The reason it was so memorable is because it felt like it was about minus 15 and at half time I kicked a guys boiling hot Bovril over by mistake which burnt my foot. I think we stood beside the far corner flag you can see in that picture. 

That picture must have been in final years of the stadium. I was there in the early 1970s and the terracing in parts was in a terrible state.

3 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

That picture must have been in final years of the stadium. I was there in the early 1970s and the terracing in parts was in a terrible state.

I may be wrong then as this match was around 1994? I’m sure it was Methil we went to as my Uncle still talks about it being the coldest game he has ever been to. 

21 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I may be wrong then as this match was around 1994? I’m sure it was Methil we went to as my Uncle still talks about it being the coldest game he has ever been to. 

You’re probably correct regarding the game you attended. As i say my first visit was nearly 50 years ago. The new ground opened in 1998

Edited by Glenconner

3 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

You’re probably correct regarding the game you attended. As i say my first visit was nearly 50 years ago. The new ground opened in 1998

Ah right I read your post wrong. I have watched a match at the new ground as well which funnily enough was also in my top 10 coldest days out at the football :lol: 

I just found the pic online. Looks to be early to mid 90's and yep in August 98 they were still playing there but by the December they were in the new ground.