Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 27/02/2019 at 22:29, DA Baracus said:

That stand looks like it would be brilliant as it is. I really dislike that end with the seats.

It was brilliant. I stood in there on many occasions in the 80's.

The place going fucking doolally when Kevin Gallagher scored against Barcelona most readily springs to mind!

19 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Are you sure it's the 1970's? Looks a bit like Colin Stein in the centre. He didn't go to Rangers until late 1968 iirc. Could be Peter Cormack in mid-air too.

Pretty sure that’s Cormack although not so sure about Stein. My first impression was Alan Gordon but it can’t be as he was 72-74 and Cormack left in 1970. According to Wiki Cormack was sent off twice in a short period and was transferred as he got a 3 month ban! Can’t remember that but, imagine that happening nowadays...

10 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Pretty sure that’s Cormack although not so sure about Stein. My first impression was Alan Gordon but it can’t be as he was 72-74 and Cormack left in 1970. According to Wiki Cormack was sent off twice in a short period and was transferred as he got a 3 month ban! Can’t remember that but, imagine that happening nowadays...

According to the Historical Football Kits site, the Falkirk top looks very much like the one they have listed for 1966-68.

9 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

According to the Historical Football Kits site, the Falkirk top looks very much like the one they have listed for 1966-68.

Aye, have to say I’ve changed my mind, pretty sure it’s big Coco, forgot how skinny he was :lol:

On 05/03/2019 at 21:46, Flybhoy said:

A rather bizarre looking temporary directors box for Celtic v Clyde in 1971 as the old main stand is stripped to it's shell for a rebuild in a scene that looks like it could be from Berlin after it was obliterated in the closing weeks of World War 2 

IMG_20190305_212720.jpg

The old enclosure at the front, favourite spot of my elders dating way back even before the 1929 stand in the picture. 

• 2 weeks later...

John Hughes scores against Rangers in 1970 with the old Celtic Park main stand in the background with press gantry on top, similar to the one at Hampden that was there till the late 90's. The one at CP was gone by the following year. 

IMG_20190402_194837.jpg

These may have been posted before.

Ariel shot of Cappielow from the 1960s. Can see the Invacars on the track at the Cowshed.

543119_10151247135049723_1477664600_n.jpg.705e3968cd0b19a7de3614c66bcc6c02.jpg

Again, the 1960s.

JS48964126.jpg.31b1dd76d88d8c278ce53e19cdc4271f.thumb.jpg.670768f4ba18e3be285a68469e955bed.jpg

2003 - Queues for Morton v Peterhead, final day 3rd Division title decider.

5ca510a693969_2003Peterheadqueue.jpg.e901e6726e60e8fcf012fa775110057b.jpg

abstract.thumb.jpg.c2bd06888fee6114253c192c2073cd10.jpg

5ca5310faddab_meadowbanksunset.thumb.jpg.0606eb6a7247ba0fe2bb1bc9daa117c9.jpg

5ca531730007e_dalshegsgoal.thumb.jpg.764b311b2dfaa9cfec8d26488b80ea50.jpg

With the stand now gone, the mighty Meadowbank floodlights are now being taken down, alas. :(

There's not many of the traditional tall floodlight pylons left in Scottish football now.  Pittodrie (and they'll go soon), Dens, Palmerston, Cappielow (the old Love Street ones), a couple at Tannadice, Somerset Park, Cliftonhill. 

I was trying to work out what the remaining tallest pylons were now Meadowbank's are gone- maybe Pittodrie's or Dens Park's. 

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

abstract.thumb.jpg.c2bd06888fee6114253c192c2073cd10.jpg

5ca5310faddab_meadowbanksunset.thumb.jpg.0606eb6a7247ba0fe2bb1bc9daa117c9.jpg

5ca531730007e_dalshegsgoal.thumb.jpg.764b311b2dfaa9cfec8d26488b80ea50.jpg

With the stand now gone, the mighty Meadowbank floodlights are now being taken down, alas. :(

There's not many of the traditional tall floodlight pylons left in Scottish football now.  Pittodrie (and they'll go soon), Dens, Palmerston, Cappielow (the old Love Street ones), a couple at Tannadice, Somerset Park, Cliftonhill. 

I was trying to work out what the remaining tallest pylons were now Meadowbank's are gone- maybe Pittodrie's or Dens Park's. 

Somerset's came down a few years ago. Palmerston is the best example left I would say.

Sad. When travelling to an away ground for the first time, spotting the floodlights on the horizon was usually the first sign that you were getting near...

Once you were at the ground, of course, the next step was to find the nearest pub. We used to leave it up to Alick Milne - he would get off the bus, sniff the air like a meerkat, then set off at high speed, and we just followed him!

7 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Sad. When travelling to an away ground for the first time, spotting the floodlights on the horizon was usually the first sign that you were getting near...

Once you were at the ground, of course, the next step was to find the nearest pub. We used to leave it up to Alick Milne - he would get off the bus, sniff the air like a meerkat, then set off at high speed, and we just followed him!

Now his nose is just attuned to board room whiskies...

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

Now his nose is just attuned to board room whiskies...

He always used to say "I drink my whisky neat - or sometimes with my top button undone..."

Pity Jonathan Watson never heard him say that - he'd have done it on Only an Excuse for the next ten years...

On 04/04/2019 at 10:42, paulbrucerick said:

Somerset's came down a few years ago. Palmerston is the best example left I would say.

I read somewhere that ours were the tallest remaining.

The Dens Park ones looked pretty massive last time I looked in January though.

What's the deal with Tannadice having "a couple"?  It sounds a lot like my version of Subbuteo, acquired at Christmas 1977.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I read somewhere that ours were the tallest remaining.

The Dens Park ones looked pretty massive last time I looked in January though.

What's the deal with Tannadice having "a couple"?  It sounds a lot like my version of Subbuteo, acquired at Christmas 1977.

We’ve got lights running across the top of the George Fox so only have the two on the opposite side.