Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

not a bad pub quiz question that one- "Against who did Henrik Larson score his first goal for Celtic?"

Better one than that is...

"Against whom did Henrik Larsson score his first goal at Celtic Park?"

Answer bizarrely is...Celtic  !!

In a UEFA Cup tie against Tirrol Innsbruck, yes those European giants he deflected a wayward shot into his own net early on and was credited with the own goal, he scored at the right end later on in a crazy match we won 6-3 I seem to recall. 

My bad, he didn't score at all for Celtic that night, just the own goal for Tyrol Innsbruck right before half-time, here is the highlights of a quite bonkers game at a two thirds complete Celtic Park with the Jock Stein stand just starting construction, it would open approximately a year later.

Note at all three Innsbruck goals Malky Mackay defending like a fucking cart-horse, Wim Jansen punted him immediately afterwards and signed Mark Rieper from West Ham who would be a huge player that season as we stopped the **** getting ten in a row with our first title win in a decade.

Edited by Flybhoy

13 hours ago, buchan30 said:

When did tynecastle get all seating behind the goals and the side? Think raith may have played them whilst it was still like this. Would have been 93/94 season.

When we played Hearts at Tynecastle near the end of 94/95 season , we were in the old away end ,  and it was still uncovered although individual seats had been installed instead of terracing.

None of the new stands had been built , although seats had maybe been installed in the home sections that had been terracing. 

47 minutes ago, A96 said:

When we played Hearts at Tynecastle near the end of 94/95 season , we were in the old away end ,  and it was still uncovered although individual seats had been installed instead of terracing.

None of the new stands had been built , although seats had maybe been installed in the home sections that had been terracing. 

reb10.jpg&key=d7df52968193b3e0a57d56294b11c9f827505e2da9d3c31824156fd1162bde40

Re the demolished terracing behind the goal at the City End at Firhill. 

There is now, and has been for some time, planning permission for a small stand and residential flats for that land. No company though is interested in the development. 

Thistle don't actually own that land or the land the Main Stand sits on. That was sold to a property company, comprised of Thistle minded individuals, when the future of the Club was in real jeopardy.  The sale of that land went a not inconsiderable way to preventing Thistle from going into Administration, or worse, circa 2008. That plus the sale of Gary Harkins (Dundee thankfully paying in full at the time of the transfer) to Dundee and Mark Twaddle to Falkirk and the ground sharing arrangement with Glasgow Warriors. 

On 22/02/2019 at 23:48, tamthebam said:

I can't remember who Partick might have played for the official opening of the new floodlights but I'm sure one of the early games they were used in was a midweek fixture against Meadowbank Thistle- any Partick fans able to confirm my senile memory? 

In think the new floodlights might have been switched on at half-time the previous Saturday (against Airdrie I seem to recall) but the official switch on was at that midweek league game with Meadowbank (1-1 draw). 

Why I can remember all that but not what I had for my tea last night is concerning. :-) 

25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

reb10.jpg&key=d7df52968193b3e0a57d56294b11c9f827505e2da9d3c31824156fd1162bde40

Ok , looks like I was wrong then !

Can't even use being steamin at that game in 1995 an excuse , because I drove that day.

Anyway , should you not be getting that spoilt brat's lunch ready ?

5 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

To answer an earlier post loans were around in the early 70’s at least.
A certain Willie Miller was on loan at Peterhead as a center forward (!)for a while IIRC

Aye , a good few young Aberdeen players went to Highland League clubs at that time , I think , although tey were always referred to as being "farmed out" rather than loans.

I mind a young Doug Rougvie playing for Keith

Edited by A96

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

Re the demolished terracing behind the goal at the City End at Firhill. 

There is now, and has been for some time, planning permission for a small stand and residential flats for that land. No company though is interested in the development. 

Thistle don't actually own that land or the land the Main Stand sits on. That was sold to a property company, comprised of Thistle minded individuals, when the future of the Club was in real jeopardy.  The sale of that land went a not inconsiderable way to preventing Thistle from going into Administration, or worse, circa 2008. That plus the sale of Gary Harkins (Dundee thankfully paying in full at the time of the transfer) to Dundee and Mark Twaddle to Falkirk and the ground sharing arrangement with Glasgow Warriors. 

TIL Maryhill has it's own version of Magrathea - A bunch of property developers in cryogenic suspension, waiting for the moment when the Jags officially become Great AgainTM so it becomes economically viable to wake them from hibernation and rebuild the fourth stand at Firhill? I hope these guys aren't in a hurry.

1 hour ago, A96 said:

Aye , a good few young Aberdeen players went to Highland League clubs at that time , I think , although tey were always referred to as being "farmed out" rather than loans.

I mind a young Doug Rougvie playing for Keith

And an old yin scoring the last ever goal against Caley, for Huntly.

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Some staunch protests going on there.

6A5AA10D-58A3-454C-BA33-3D4EA19A157C.jpeg

All of them, well the ones still around, will no doubt spend their Saturday afternoon's in The Keg or Lauders staunchy watching SSN to see if Morelos has scored yet.

Play nice guys :lol:

A lot of people might have called Caley “Highland ****” because they won a lot and nobody liked them. But for the players and fans, there was no connection at all. For every Billy Urquhart there was a Charlie Christie.  Some people supported the ****, but just as many supported Aberdeen or Celtic. Caley had an excellent fanzine, run by two guys, one of whom had Hearts as his big team. OK, the other guy was a *** :lol:  

But a huge number, such as myself, had no ‘big team’, because Caley was their big team. This was over a quarter of a century ago, so the Butcher’s Apron didn’t have the same significance it has nowadays.