Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

6 minutes ago, GordonD said:

I remember that - we ran a bus, much to the astonishment of the home fans who had never seen travelling support for a reserve game. IIRC it was our Dave Baxter who produced the programme, presumably with Albion's permission.

It seemed to be an Albion production as the evening's team lines were on it filled in  in felt tip and it was fresh off the photocopier in the Binos offices but maybe Mr B had a hand in it.. 

6 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A bit of both really, the death knell sounded for Annfield when the first plastic pitch in Scotland was laid there in the late 80's , the council bought the ground a few years earlier to save the club from going under and laid said pitch for community use and a return on their investment, only catch was it was horrific, ten times worse than even the poor ones today and the Scottish League said no more after five years of it.

As it was an area of prime real estate the council sold the land for a hefty sum to Cala Homes, they built Forthbank with that and some Football Trust grant money, including outside astro turf pitches .

Plastic is the right word.  It was like linoleum laid on concrete with a slightly rough surface to create some texture. On a windy day you could tap the ball and it would roll the full length of the park.

I played on it with my works team. it was horrendous and funny in equal measures. Thinking you were Alan Hansen and watching your precisely hit ten yards pass run 30 yards out the pitch was painful, but watching your 20 stone right back trying to catch it and never quite get there was FAF.

I went to first game at Forthbank, also v the Bankies.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It seemed to be an Albion production as the evening's team lines were on it filled in  in felt tip and it was fresh off the photocopier in the Binos offices but maybe Mr B had a hand in it.. 

Wouldn't have been the first time he produced an 'away' programme.

Rumour has it he used to produce programmes for his Subbuteo games!

4 hours ago, ropy said:

Plastic is the right word.  It was like linoleum laid on concrete with a slightly rough surface to create some texture. On a windy day you could tap the ball and it would roll the full length of the park.

I remember watching a goalkeeper take about five minutes to take a goal kick because the ball kept blowing away. I could be wrong but I think the referee finally allowed a defender to lie down and hold it in place until the goalie kicked it! (Is there anything in the Laws preventing that?)

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

I remember that - we ran a bus, much to the astonishment of the home fans who had never seen travelling support for a reserve game. IIRC it was our Dave Baxter who produced the programme, presumably with Albion's permission.

Stirling were regular producers of reserve team programmes in the 80s and 90s so it would have been the guy who done them who would have done that issue.

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A bit of both really, the death knell sounded for Annfield when the first plastic pitch in Scotland was laid there in the late 80's , the council bought the ground a few years earlier to save the club from going under and laid said pitch for community use and a return on their investment, only catch was it was horrific, ten times worse than even the poor ones today and the Scottish League said no more after five years of it.

As it was an area of prime real estate the council sold the land for a hefty sum to Cala Homes, they built Forthbank with that and some Football Trust grant money, including outside astro turf pitches .

In the 25 years since it was built the area around Forthbank has been heavily developed, including The Peak sports centre and swimming pool and as a general facility and sports village, Forthbank and its surroundings are pretty impressive. 

As far as the new build grounds of the last twenty years or so go it's one of the better ones in my opinion as it isnt a one stand soulless hole like many of its ilk, it doesn't compare sadly though for me to Annfield, it's town centre location and general layout etc was perfect for a club like Stirling Albion,  I get very nostalgic for it and miss it to this day, many great memories from my youth are of Annfield, as an actual ground at the time it was fine other than the horrendous and subsequently outlawed plastic pitch  and, even today would be perfect for that level of football,  Forthbank is okay but it just isnt the same.

Classic crocodile tears there McGhee. Maybe is so many of the locals didn't bugger off to watch the bigots your beloved stadium would still be there.

On 08/01/2019 at 12:40, tamthebam said:

when you look at Celtic and Rangers crowds from 70 years ago to now it's not a wild statistical guess to find out where the support for diddy central Scotland teams e.g. Airdrie, Albion Rovers has gone. The glory hunting Old Firm cnuts.

On 08/01/2019 at 13:15, Sergeant Wilson said:

Those people from back then are dead now. People travelling to Rangers and Celtic now is part of the problem, but changing demographics and lifestyles mean people in provincial towns who don't go anywhere are a bigger part of it. The horse has bolted for most of these clubs and existing is the end game rather than progression.

Out of interest, Hibee and whichever one of Ludo/the Master that keeps all the tv data should combine minds to produce a table to show the decline of diddy clubs/increase of the bigots fans share and the growth of live tv coverage.  

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Cool story bro, away and drink your pish.

He's got a point, there's a reason there's a ban on showing live games at 3 on a Saturday, and folk who "support" lower league teams, but would happily ignore them to watch "bigger" clubs is exactly that.

"Glory hunters", are the biggest threat to lower league clubs in Scotland.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's got a point, there's a reason there's a ban on showing live games at 3 on a Saturday, and folk who "support" lower league teams, but would happily ignore them to watch "bigger" clubs is exactly that.

Aye, ok.

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Aye, ok.

Ignore it if you want, but it's an indisputable fact that lower league teams are losing fans from their local area, while Celtic/Rangers/EPL teams are gaining fans from those areas. 

If you can't see what issues that causes for teams further down, then you'll have plenty more photos of abandonded stadiums to cry over in the next few decades.

Edited by RandomGuy.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ignore it if you want, but it's an indisputable fact that lower league teams are losing fans from their local area, while Celtic/Rangers/EPL teams are gaining fans from those areas. 

If you can't see what issues that causes for teams further down, then you'll have plenty more photos of abandonded stadiums to cry over in the next few decades.

Wow, what an angry guy you are today.

5 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Wow, what an angry guy you are today.

Should we not be angry that historic grounds and clubs are being stomped into the ground because people can't bear to support a team that isn't winning every week?

You continue making jokes and pretending folk like yourself aren't part of the problem, though.

2 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Stirling were regular producers of reserve team programmes in the 80s and 90s so it would have been the guy who done them who would have done that issue.

Fair enough. It was some time ago so obviously I'm remembering things wrongly.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Should we not be angry that historic grounds and clubs are being stomped into the ground because people can't bear to support a team that isn't winning every week?

You continue making jokes and pretending folk like yourself aren't part of the problem, though.

I blame the parents.

Or the great great great grandparents who of course were Irish.

c***s.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Classic crocodile tears there McGhee. Maybe is so many of the locals didn't bugger off to watch the bigots your beloved stadium would still be there.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Out of interest, Hibee and whichever one of Ludo/the Master that keeps all the tv data should combine minds to produce a table to show the decline of diddy clubs/increase of the bigots fans share and the growth of live tv coverage.  

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

23 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I blame the parents.

Or the great great great grandparents who of course were Irish.

c***s.

funny-Yoda-calm-down1.jpg