Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

• 2 weeks later...
Tynecastle, late 80's. 
FB_IMG_1542715759535.jpg.b361773e9a42ed62002a1f08cad80d45.jpg
I always liked that Tynecastle (like East End and a few others) had a cover that went along the sideline then continued round the back of the goals. East End had cover all the way along the side and all the way behind the goals though whereas Tynecastle (and the likes of Raith and Dundee Utd) only had a roof that partially covered the side and end.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/11/2018 at 22:17, tamthebam said:

I remember being in Tynecastle in 1989 for Scotland v Portugal, U16 World Cup Semi-Finals. Place was rammed- I'm sure that the crowd was given as 27,000 and Tynecastle's official capacity was something like 24,000! 

Official Capacity was 29,000

The crowd was so big that kickoff was delayed by 45 minutes

https://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/matches/round=191539/match=31225/index.html

Paul Dickov was outstanding, A decade later he went on to score the 95th minute equaliser to take Manchester City's promotion play off  against Gillingham to extra time helping City to make it out of the 3rd tier

Some laddie called Luis Figo played for them I don't know what happened to him

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Official Capacity was 29,000

The crowd was so big that kickoff was delayed by 45 minutes

https://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/matches/round=191539/match=31225/index.html

Paul Dickov was outstanding, A decade later he went on to score the 95th minute equaliser to take Manchester City's promotion play off  against Gillingham to extra time helping City to make it out of the 3rd tier

Some laddie called Luis Figo played for them I don't know what happened to him

Definitely 29000. I was there too, in the front row of the stand (my reward for being early for once was to sit through that 45 mins :lol:

Plus the added bonus of having to listen to Wallet Merger who grabbed the mic off the official announcer so he could polish his ego with a wee speech .

Yep they called it as 29k but I had been plenty of times when it was 29k and was never as busy as that.
The ground was rammed.

I went to the group stage games as well

Guinea, Saudi Arabia, Portugal and Colombia

They played the games as double headers and while obviously crowds were never as packed as the Scotland game the place had a bit of a buzz about it

On the whole it seemed Tynecastle hated Saudi, didn’t much care for Portugal, quite liked Colombia and fell in love with Guinea

15 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

On the whole it seemed Tynecastle hated Saudi, didn’t much care for Portugal, quite liked Colombia and fell in love with Guinea

Much the same in the group games at Fir Park, where there was much love for Ghana.  

I picked up the Lifted Over The Turnstiles book from Waterstones this week which shows fantastic old pictures of all (almost) the old grounds, only a few I recognise from this thread. Don't know if it's been mentioned before but it's an excellent book (you can skip by the Chick Young foreword). Supposed to be a Christmas present for my dad but I can't help flicking through it.