Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Perth has delights? 

I've yet to find them and I've had a right good look!

Poetic licence Tam.

1 hour ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Will the prison be your youth academy?

Well our team has been without any heart or fight the past month, so an axe murderer or two might be exactly what we're needing.

1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

We'd probably have to improve the drainage.

CU7beLTWEAAAH_k.jpeg

Yes it was in the budget...

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

No.

Next time we're reversing the trend. £200m investment and McDiarmid Park site becomes our training ground and academy. 

We buy the Lesser South Inch and South Inch and, after a few mil investment in flood prevention, we build.

5 minutes from bus and train stations. 5-10 minutes from the city centre and it's many delights.

That's where the future's at.

34 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

What was the capacity of Easter Road in those days?

That terrace was indeed huge!

Unsure about the actual capacity, but the record attendance was 65,860 in 1950. That makes it the highest Scottish attendance ever outside of Glasgow. It’s also higher than Liverpool or Leeds have ever managed for a home game. 

To put it into perspective, if it had happened this season, I believe only Man United, Tottenham (at Wembley), Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid and Barcelona would have seen a higher crowd in the whole of Europe.

Edited by Austinho

6 hours ago, Austinho said:

I'm not sure about Glasgow, but in Edinburgh, they use the old post box at Waterloo Place as the centre point of the city. So as the crow flies from the determined centre of Edinburgh to each stadium's centre circle:

Easter Road – 1640m (1.04 miles)
Tynecastle – 3260m (2.03 miles)

So as well as being roughly twice as close to the centre of Edinburgh, Hibernian are also closer to the actual Heart of Midlothian than Heart of Midlothian FC are. 

Hearts have more players from Ireland than Hibs.

So Hearts are actually more Hibernian than Hibs!

Edited by thekorean

7 hours ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

We should go back to our roots and re-build the Recreation Grounds.

I took this photo earlier this year.  A sign for the old Recreation Grounds is still visible above the window.  Saints moved to Muirton in 1924 so the sign could be  around 100 years old..... 

CDL_0883.JPG

Edited by Saint Huck
spelling

Is this still a thing at Pittodrie?
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/24/aberdeen-reveal-measures-tackle-pittodrie-seagulls?CMP=share_btn_tw
I've seen a few stuffed raptors in the rafters, including an owl that looked as big as Orville, and a pretend hawk that had gied up and had swung itself into a the bat-like upside-doon thing. 

Yeah it is. I have a photo of it from the Kilmarnock game last season when half the south stand was shut due to frozen pipes or something

3 hours ago, Saint Huck said:

I took this photo earlier this year.  A sign for the old Recreation Grounds is still visible above the window.  Saints moved to Muirton in 1924 so the sign could be  around 100 years old..... 

CDL_0883.JPG

Is that the tenement behind the takeaway and petrol station with the funny dome roof?

3 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

Is this still a thing at Pittodrie?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/24/aberdeen-reveal-measures-tackle-pittodrie-seagulls?CMP=share_btn_tw

I've seen a few stuffed raptors in the rafters, including an owl that looked as big as Orville, and a pretend hawk that had gied up and had swung itself into a the bat-like upside-doon thing. 

Killie hire one regularly.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Lots have obviously moved which will have altered things. It's also a bit different in Glasgow and Edinburgh I suppose where the grounds are in particular areas.

As implied Glasgow was different slightly as Partick Thistle originally played in Partick Burgh and Rangers in Govan. 

Thistle were moved by a compulsory buying order by a board which included the Rangers chairman of the time in the early 1900s rocking up at Firhill in 1909. 

Over the years these areas were swallowed up by the expansion of Glasgow.

10 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

As implied Glasgow was different slightly as Partick Thistle originally played in Partick Burgh and Rangers in Govan. 

Thistle were moved by a compulsory buying order by a board which included the Rangers chairman of the time in the early 1900s rocking up at Firhill in 1909. 

Over the years these areas were swallowed up by the expansion of Glasgow.

Could add Clyde into that story, Shawfield being policed by the Lanarkshire County police force until 1974.

On 17/10/2018 at 00:22, Austinho said:

In an age where clubs are increasingly knocking down their old grounds and building generic stadiums in out of town industrial estates,

Glasgow city council went the opposite way at firhill they moved the houses out of town and kept the stadium

ba4e5d90e81cc7df94e188072b25895e.jpg

post-6576-1259015436.jpg

14 hours ago, Glenconner said:

You didn’t need to go that far back to have seen 40,000 in Easter Rd.

Flat caps and tweeds ffs!!!

To be fair you didn't need to go that far back for flat caps and tweeds.

My Grandfather was stilling wearing that in the 70's ;)