Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Couldn't they sell the land for housing and build a new ground on the outskirts of town?

No.

Next time we're reversing the trend. £200m investment and McDiarmid Park site becomes our training ground and academy. 

We buy the Lesser South Inch and South Inch and, after a few mil investment in flood prevention, we build.

5 minutes from bus and train stations. 5-10 minutes from the city centre and it's many delights.

That's where the future's at.

21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Love St used to be about 800m from M&S. The current ground is about twice as far.

5 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

So about 1600m then ?

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Pretty much, aye.

Good maths for a Celtic fan :P

Shame it wasn't 845m.

1 hour ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Mad when you think of what’s there now. That’s a great photo. Updated it to show the difference.

88BD2FB2-8E22-4E0F-8736-AB6D60D9C9C3.jpeg

At the ice rink, where you've written army, isn't that where McDonalds etc is? My memory on this isn't great, so happy to be corrected, but weren't the Muirton shops there when the ice rink was there?  I think where McDonalds is now is roughly where the ice rink started, so the TA barracks are further north on the Dunkeld Road.

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We buy the Lesser South Inch and South Inch and, after a few mil investment in flood prevention, we build.

5 minutes from bus and train stations. 5-10 minutes from the city centre and it's many delights.

We should go back to our roots and re-build the Recreation Grounds.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's prompted the thought:  which ground in Scotland is closest to the town/city centre?

Lots have obviously moved which will have altered things. It's also a bit different in Glasgow and Edinburgh I suppose where the grounds are in particular areas.

I was just wondering though.  The best example I can think of is Newcastle, but obviously enough, that's not in Scotland.  What would be the best example here?

I think Cowdenbeath and Ross County are good shouts. Central Park is in a brilliant location, just such a shame it's an awful ground cos of the speedway.

Victoria Park, Dingwall has so many positives in my book: right in the town, 1 minute from train station. Stands close to the park, and a sensible capacity which reflects the size of the home support, so it can generate a decent atmosphere even with average crowds of 2500-3000.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

At the ice rink, where you've written army, isn't that where McDonalds etc is? My memory on this isn't great, so happy to be corrected, but weren't the Muirton shops there when the ice rink was there?  I think where McDonalds is now is roughly where the ice rink started, so the TA barracks are further north on the Dunkeld Road.

Correct.

6 hours ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Good question. To be fair the actual centre of a town or city would need to be established. I’m not sure on this but I think whenever you see a sign saying Glasgow, the distance is measured from George Square and likewise for everywhere else. In Glasgow’s case would that make Celtic or Thistle’s ground the closest? You’d also have to go as the crow flies. So an established centre and a crow fly distance would be a good rule. It’s actually quite a challenging question and one I’d like to see the answer too.

Are we talking senior league teams only?

I'm not sure about Glasgow, but in Edinburgh, they use the old post box at Waterloo Place as the centre point of the city. So as the crow flies from the determined centre of Edinburgh to each stadium's centre circle:

Easter Road – 1640m (1.04 miles)
Tynecastle – 3260m (2.03 miles)

So as well as being roughly twice as close to the centre of Edinburgh, Hibernian are also closer to the actual Heart of Midlothian than Heart of Midlothian FC are. 

Edited by Austinho

22 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

No.

Next time we're reversing the trend. £200m investment and McDiarmid Park site becomes our training ground and academy. 

Will the prison be your youth academy?

18 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You may be right. I never knew that was the ice rink and on checking Google, the Black Watch is a bit further down, nearer Gowan’s Terrace. Mc D’s, new flats and Muirton shops should be where the ice rink is. Roughly. The tenements in the foreground are Ainslee Gardens I think, well, whatever the f**k it is nowadays after all those diversions and new flats.

14 minutes ago, Austinho said:

I'm not sure about Glasgow, but in Edinburgh, they use the old post box at Waterloo Place as the centre point of the city.
So as the crow flies from the determined centre point to each stadium's centre circle:

Easter Road – 1640m (1.04 miles)
Tynecastle – 3260m (2.03 miles)

So as well as being roughly twice as close to the centre of Edinburgh, Hibernian are also closer to the actual Heart of Midlothian than Heart of Midlothian FC are. 

That requires a Union Bears style banner for the next Edinburgh Derby.

”We’re more fucking Hearts than you,

We’re more fucking Hearts than you.”